IDC forecasts 'challenging' year for tablets as Apple's iPad continues to lead

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    lfa551 wrote: »
    The sales numbers are not a true telling of the whole story. Tablets are not phones that are replaced every year or two. A tablet most likely has a 3 to 5 year cycle. I know this is not an original point, however i feel it is the truth. Apple on top of this makes a high quality product that just lasts or dare i say "it just works". 

Stick with "just lasts"
  • Reply 42 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Holy crap Batman! I have never seen the likes. So this load of junk, in total is being included in statistics regarding Apple iPad sales? That is like discussing Mercedes and BMW cars and including subcompact cars sold in Asia in the overall sales percentages.

Look at the URL, it says it all.  In order to find this site, I had typed into Google (their search tool would be the best suited. ;-)  ) and I typed in "Cheap Android tablets" and this is one of the sites that came up.  ;-)

Yeah, i'm sure these POS Android tablets are what you would find in China, or these schlock stores in the seedy parts of town.  Look in any consumer electronics industry you'll see products of this nature being sold.  It's the junk of the industry.  They have to sell 1,000 of them to make $100 profit.  It's a way companies dump outdated, obsolete components.  

• Reply 43 of 105
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I travel all over, and see maybe 1 samsung tablet for every 30 iPads. I pay attention to this stuff. No fucking clue how these #s would even be possible, or who the **** is buying them, and where. 

How can analysts even be allowed to publish completely fabricated numbers like that without being called to it?  Not only does Samsung not publish numbers, but on those rare occasions when it did, they were caught flat-out lying, all thanks to unsealed documents from the Apple/Samsung lawsuit(s).

Honestly, these analysts should be fined, or penalized in some sort of way for their crackpot analysis.  It's a shame, and sham!

• Reply 44 of 105
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The new COBOL programmer

yeah an i remember those forks were worth a mint for a couple of years around Y2K after that, they were killed off.

• Reply 45 of 105
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Look at the URL, it says it all.  In order to find this site, I had typed into Google (their search tool would be the best suited. ;-)  ) and I typed in "Cheap Android tablets" and this is one of the sites that came up.  ;-)

Yeah, i'm sure these POS Android tablets are what you would find in China, or these schlock stores in the seedy parts of town.  Look in any consumer electronics industry you'll see products of this nature being sold.  It's the junk of the industry.  They have to sell 1,000 of them to make $100 profit.  It's a way companies dump outdated, obsolete components.  

I'm curious what the sales numbers are on these types of bottom of the line tablets.  

A lot of people generally refer to Chinese brands as being cheap and low end, but that's also not entirely true.  Some of the larger companies (and lesser known to AI members) are Oppo/OnePlus, Xiaomi (Mi), and Meizu.  They all produce high end devices with quality construction and parts. They're also hugely successful in the Chinese market.

• Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

I'm curious what the sales numbers are on these types of bottom of the line tablets.  

A lot of people generally refer to Chinese brands as being cheap and low end, but that's also not entirely true.  Some of the larger companies (and lesser known to AI members) are Oppo/OnePlus, Xiaomi (Mi), and Meizu.  They all produce high end devices with quality construction and parts. They're also hugely successful in the Chinese market.

I used the term CHEAP in front to designate the cheapest products.  If they are Chinese, then this lists the cheapest Chinese brands.  But I didn't refer to ALL Chinese products as cheap.  Only those that are.  That's why Oppo, Xiaomi and Meizu aren't listed.  Right?

But those brands aren't what are considered HUGLY successful because they don't have sales that equals Samsung or Apple.  A lot of those other brands aren't amongst the top selling worldwide.

• Reply 47 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

How can analysts even be allowed to publish completely fabricated numbers like that without being called to it?  Not only does Samsung not publish numbers, but on those rare occasions when it did, they were caught flat-out lying, all thanks to unsealed documents from the Apple/Samsung lawsuit(s).

Honestly, these analysts should be fined, or penalized in some sort of way for their crackpot analysis.  It's a shame, and sham!

IDC is a market research firm, not a stock analyst company.  Market research firms get their information by various sources and you probably have to read the specific report to find out how they gathered the information.  Some numbers they get from the mfg.

Stock analysts usually work for the major brokerage houses, like UBS, etc. etc.  Companies like IDC, Gartner, etc. are totally different, they analyze the market as a market research company.  Completely two different type of companies making two entirely different reports. 

• Reply 48 of 105
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Fire is much better than most other Android tablets. My sister purchased 3 against my advice to get iPads, and I was surprised at how nice they were. Lightyears better than the crappy Nexus 7 I bought and have since replaced with a iPad mini.

You think the iPad Mini is better than the Nexus 7.  LOL!  There is no better tablet than the Nexus 7 in that size.  Period.  On the 10", I'll grant that the iPad can compete with the Nexus 10.

• Reply 49 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    os2baba wrote: »
    You think the iPad Mini is better than the Nexus 7.  LOL!  There is no better tablet than the Nexus 7 in that size.  Period.  On the 10", I'll grant that the iPad can compete with the Nexus 10.

The 8" and 10" iPads beat all other tablets. Just look at their OS and ecosystem for proof of that.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    os2baba wrote: »

It's a laggy pos.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's a laggy pos.

Even on Google's own Octane browser benchmark the iPad mini trounces it.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I'm sure a lot of those "shipments' are in inventories at various resellers.  :-) but if the mfg sold some to a reseller, then it's the reseller's inventory and the mfg SOLD them to the reseller.   So the mfg claims it as a SOLD item or SHIPPED them as kind of the same thing.  Apple has inventories in resellers' inventories that haven't been sold to the end user.  It's kind of hard to calculate exactly how many have been sold to an end user because these mfg sell direct and to resellers, but I don't think IDC has double checked through the reseller channel, since many are small stores independently owned and do not report unit sale.

Except the data they are referring to is specifically based on "shipments", it even says so in their graphs.

• Reply 53 of 105
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Even on Google's own Octane browser benchmark the iPad mini trounces it.

Don't know how it's possible but on every and any Android device the Chrome browser sucks.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Aren't the newer iPad mini 2's using a 64 Bit processor and the Nexus 7 isn't?  Secondly, Nexus 7's are a smaller screen 7 inch vs 7.9inch.  The iPad mini 2 is almost a full inch larger diagonally.  Thirdly, iPad mini's have far more software apps that take advantage of the iPad's screen sizes rather than just smartphone apps made bigger.

So, when Android finally gets 64 Bit apps, they won't run on the Nexus 7.  Ouch.  Doesn't that make you have to buy a new device just to take advantage of 64 Bit?  And when is Google going to release a 64 Bit OS?

On the Nexus 10, I say comparisons with the iPad 4 against the same year's Nexus offering and seem to remember the iPad 4 kicked the Nexus' tail when it came to game playing.

For certain industries, which many people are in, some industries simply have very little Android apps.  The one industry that comes to mind is music creation/production.  That industry is pretty much adopted iOS and Android products are far and few between.  So, again, what is the more useful platform?  iOS.

Have a great day!

• Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:

I used the term CHEAP in front to designate the cheapest products.  If they are Chinese, then this lists the cheapest Chinese brands.  But I didn't refer to ALL Chinese products as cheap.  Only those that are.  That's why Oppo, Xiaomi and Meizu aren't listed.  Right?

But those brands aren't what are considered HUGLY successful because they don't have sales that equals Samsung or Apple.  A lot of those other brands aren't amongst the top selling worldwide.

The second part wasn't as much directed towards you, it was more of a general statement.  

Hugely successful in the 'Chinese market'.  Take Xiaomi for example.  Within minutes of launching their flagship devices (launched in batches of 300,000), they sell out completely.  For a company with only an online presence and no marketing budget that would be considered hugely successful.  On the global scale, none are as large as the leading Chinese companies (Lenovo, Huawei, Yulong, ZTE), but I only made reference to them as they're not as well known on this board. 

• Reply 56 of 105
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

You can goose up the numbers to make it look like the market leader, Apple, is the market loser, but you can't outright lie to your shareholders.

If IDC's numbers were correct, then I guarantee you, Amazon wouldn't be bleeding money, and Samsung's shares wouldn't be taking a hit on continued declining sales and profit.

If IDC were accurate, then Samsung and Amazon would have a much brighter outlook, which they don't right now.

I think they are correct, however, in asserting that tastes are shifting away from tablet and toward phablets.  That's why both Amazon and Apple want to move into this area.

Just a personal POV... to accept or ignore.

I accept your point of view - AND ignore it. HAH!

• Reply 57 of 105
    I accept your point of view - AND ignore it. HAH!

I just might use that in my signature. ;)
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The second part wasn't as much directed towards you, it was more of a general statement.  

Hugely successful in the 'Chinese market'.  Take Xiaomi for example.  Within minutes of launching their flagship devices (launched in batches of 300,000), they sell out completely.  For a company with only an online presence and no marketing budget that would be considered hugely successful.  On the global scale, none are as large as the leading Chinese companies (Lenovo, Huawei, Yulong, ZTE), but I only made reference to them as they're not as well known on this board. 

Xiaomi doesn't make tablets that I'm aware of.  They only make smartphones and phablets.  They also have to have enough sales for IDC, Gartner, etc. to recognize them by previous quarter/yearly sales.  Maybe their numbers will show up in future reports.

• Reply 59 of 105
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

The App Store has 400,000 apps specifically tailored to the iPad. The Google Play Store has 1,000. There's no competition going on there; it's a slam dunk for Apple.

• Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

Aren't the newer iPad mini 2's using a 64 Bit processor and the Nexus 7 isn't?  Secondly, Nexus 7's are a smaller screen 7 inch vs 7.9inch.  The iPad mini 2 is almost a full inch larger diagonally.  Thirdly, iPad mini's have far more software apps that take advantage of the iPad's screen sizes rather than just smartphone apps made bigger.

So, when Android finally gets 64 Bit apps, they won't run on the Nexus 7.  Ouch.  Doesn't that make you have to buy a new device just to take advantage of 64 Bit?  And when is Google going to release a 64 Bit OS?

On the Nexus 10, I say comparisons with the iPad 4 against the same year's Nexus offering and seem to remember the iPad 4 kicked the Nexus' tail when it came to game playing.

For certain industries, which many people are in, some industries simply have very little Android apps.  The one industry that comes to mind is music creation/production.  That industry is pretty much adopted iOS and Android products are far and few between.  So, again, what is the more useful platform?  iOS.

Have a great day!

It would make sense to discuss 64-bit in context.  It really depends on the application whether or not that will even make a difference.  The Nexus 4 launched with hardware that supported OpenGL ES 3.0 (a major mobile API) a year before Apple added support in the A7 SoC, but the real world applications are all that really matter.

As for 64-bit Android, Intel already launched a 64-bit kernel that will be coming in Bay Trail Android devices.  ASUS has a $149 64-bit Android tablet launching soon in the 7" segment.  We'll have to see if there is any real world advantages when the device hits the market.

As for real world usage of both operating systems, iOS has a considerable app advantage in the tablet segment.  The only catch is, a new A7 iOS device starts at $399 and up.