mobile phone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm going to be doing a ton of traveling over the next two months as I look for a new job, and was thinking that a mobile phone might be a good investment (my girlfriend certainlythinks so. It would have to be tri-band as I will be traveling worldwide.

The question is: What cell phone recommendations can the wired Mac users give me? Data synching is a feature I would use, so Mac compatibility is something I desire. I know nothing about mobile phones, but I can imagine that the Mac is a second class citizen in some ways.

Does anyone have some insights to share? Experience, good or bad, desired!

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: wormboy ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I use a Kick-ass Samsung phone from Sprint PCS. Can't go wrong with it. Not sure about mac compatibility though.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    My only mobile phone recommendation is to PLEASE turn it off when you go to see a movie. That's all I ask.

I haven't gone to a movie, where someone's damn phone didn't ring, in ages.

• Reply 3 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>My only mobile phone recommendation is to PLEASE turn it off when you go to see a movie. That's all I ask.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is puttin it on vibrate ok? Because that's what I do.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>My only mobile phone recommendation is to PLEASE turn it off when you go to see a movie. That's all I ask.

I have to admit to being one of these annoying people who can't be without her cellphone, but I do have a good excuse. While people assume all the phone calls mean I'm incredibly popular, most of the time it's a computer at the lab calling to give me status reports.

But no matter how cellphone dependent I am, it always switched off/put on vibrate* if I'm with friends, watching a movie, at the theater, in a store... whatever. I get annoyed if I hear other peoples' phones ringing.

* Off most of the time, vibrate if I'm waiting for an important call... or status report.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Well, good for you Belle. Phone culture is a bit ahead here in Europe, and three years ago it was quite bad here, but now people are getting better.

Still has a long way to go though. Just this morning I went for a beagle and coffee with my girlfriend, and the couple at the next table were chatting when a mobile went off. Phone grrl answered and for the next 15 min she just chatted loudly while her friend sat quietly. It was apparent that the friend was annoyed but phone grrl did not seem to notice or care--so wrapped up in her conversation was she. When it was over phone grrl hung up, and continued her conversation with bored-stiff-guy like nothing happened. No apology. Nothing. Bet that's the last time he goes for coffee with her!

Anyway, enough stories! I want recommendations.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by wormboy:

<strong>Still has a long way to go though. Just this morning I went for a beagle and coffee with my girlfriend, and the couple at the next table were chatting when a mobile went off.

Beagle?!? Please tell me you mean bagel!

[quote]<strong>Anyway, enough stories! I want recommendations.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry.

Will you be using your phone with a laptop? Currently, the only inexpensive way to connect your phone to a laptop is via infrared.

Actually, come to think of it, that goes for desktops too. To connect a cell phone to a Mac (that doesn't have a serial port) you need either a serial-USB converter or an infrared port, even if it's just for synching data rather than dial-up.

None of the major manufacturers seem to have Mac software for synching data, though.

I've always preferred Nokia phones, but there aren't very many tri-band models (I just use two phones, one in the US, one in Europe). I think Motorola have a decent range of tri-band phones.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    [quote]Beagle?!? Please tell me you mean bagel! <hr></blockquote>

No. I meant beagle. Black Labs are tasty too!!

two phones.... hmmm.... Considering that two days ago I never even considered owning one! And now you've got me thinking about two... yikes!