Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Continuing a recent trend of ramming vehicles through the all-glass front facades of Apple retail outlets, an unknown person drove their car into the 4th Street Apple Store in Berkeley, Calif. early Friday morning, and AppleInsider was sent exclusive pictures of the aftermath.

Update: The crash now appears to have been part of a burglary, rather than a simple accident. Photos sent in by reader Benjamin do not seem to show any missing devices on the store's display tables, but Berkeleyside notes that "several items" were indeed stolen.

The vehicle appeared to aim directly at the store's front doors, damaging both them and the metal security gate. The windows both above and on either side of the doors survived the impact.

Vehicular smash-and-grabs have become increasingly common at Apple stores around the world thanks to the high resale value of the merchandise on display and Apple's unwillingness to mar the stores' aesthetic with hefty security features. Apple's Kurf?rstendamm store in Berlin fell victim to such a crime last December, while the Lincoln Park outlet in Chicago and the Temecula, Calif. location have also seen similar vehicular violence.

Security gates have become more common in Apple Stores which are exposed to the street. The Temecula robbery (depicted in the video embedded above) was nearly foiled after the security gate fell down behind the thieves, effectively trapping them in the store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Another graduate of the Bill Gates driving school I see...
    /
    /
    /
  • Reply 2 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple really needs pylons in front of all outdoor stores.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sucks, but probably true. Maybe something with a decent looking design.

I hate thieves.

• Reply 4 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Is that [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] or just someone else named Benjamin?

2) I wonder if Apple could get large pieces of bullet resistance glass made for their windows. Meaning, two pieces of glass sandwiched between a sheet of polycarbonate so it would be more difficult to smash the glass. Or do that simply make it so a very large, heavy piece of material is more likely fly off the minimal hinges keeping it in place thereby still allowing thieves to enter?

Could they just use a sledge hammer or something else to smash the glass? A car does afford them some security from the falling glass but it's not the only solution.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What’s up with not having retractable… what do they call ‘em? Not balustrades…

• Reply 6 of 69
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    If that's the plan of attack, what's the point of a metal security gate behind the glass? It just mars the appearance of the store when closed.

An active security system is needed. How about claymores triggered by radar when it senses a large metal object approaching the window at speed? Or popup barriers like the ones in [I]Watchdogs[/I]?
  • Reply 7 of 69
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Decorative poles at the street edge of the curb would solve this without taking away from the storefront aesthetic.

Heck, do something uniquely Apple… make them look like iPod earphones coming up out of the curb.

• Reply 8 of 69
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Another graduate of the Bill Gates driving school I see...
    /
    /
    /

Bill and Steve buried the hatchet long ago, so probably not. :)
  • Reply 9 of 69

Or a sign that says: DRIVE SAFELY
  • Reply 10 of 69
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    one way spikes?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Or bone cutting laser beams at car driver neck height built in to the windows.

Actually a nice cross hatch pattern of beams would be better to ensure the car and occupants come through in perfect rectangular tubes. Of course Apple would need a disposal system just inside the windows that was artistic, functional and in keeping with the overall design of the store. The replacement window could be lowered immediately from a portcullis type design above.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for [I]cost[/I] I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    schlack wrote: »
    one way spikes?

That would only prevent the car being used again after the heist.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for cost I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.

Meanwhile I assume all those stolen products are busy transmitting GPS coordinates and screaming come and rescue me? I use Orbicule (http://www.orbicule.com) on all my equipment in addition to Apple's built in systems.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    bigbuff74bigbuff74 Posts: 12member
    Now we know who has the best gadgets.????
  • Reply 16 of 69
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Pretty stupid.

I don't know about u guys, but I'm not really built for prison.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I'm sure they can come up with something that doesn't ruin the feel. If they're pulling down a security shutter at night, they could also have retractable pylons that looked like shiny mac pros or something
  • Reply 18 of 69
    seabee3seabee3 Posts: 6member
    Watch, before too long this will be classified as a hate crime. :)
  • Reply 19 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or a sign that says: DRIVE SAFELY

“Crash Different” with an arrow pointing to the nearest Best Buy or Microsoft Store.

• Reply 20 of 69
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Is that @Benjamin Frost or just someone else named Benjamin?

That dude is in the UK, so I don't think that it's him.