OS X 10.9.3 bug hides '/Users' folder, easy fix available via Terminal

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2014
Some who upgraded to OS X 10.9.3 this week have found that the update mistakenly hides the system's "/Users" folder at the top level of their hard drive. But the bug can be addressed with a quick and easy fix.

OS X 10.9.3 hit the Mac App Store on Thursday, and after updating to the latest version of Mavericks, some users discovered the new bug. The "/Users" folder remains active on the person's hard drive, but for some reason it is hidden on some machines.

A fix for the problem was highlighted on Friday by The Loop, in which users simply need to type in a single command in Terminal via OS X. Just open Spotlight search in the top right corner,, type in "Terminal" and open the application, then enter the following command:
sudo chflags nohidden /Users
For those uncomfortable with terminal, a more complicated and less permanent method is also available:
  • Open a Finder window and select the "Go" menu, then choose "Go to Folder"
  • Once the dialog appears, type "/Users" (without quotes) and click the "Go" button
  • Control-click on the "/Users" folder and select "Make Alias"
While OS X 10.9.3 introduced this new bug, it did squash a number of other issues with Mavericks. In addition, it also improved support for high-resolution 4K displays on both the new cylindrical Mac Pro and the late-2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

If you are going to copy stories, at least get the whole story. The "fix" is temporary and will revert when you restart. See Mac Rumors for more details. ;)

• Reply 2 of 70
    6toecat6toecat Posts: 51member
    It didn't hide my users folder!
  • Reply 3 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Is it a bug or was it intentional?

• Reply 4 of 70
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Aha, I thought it was odd that I couldn't see it. Hopefully a proper fix will arrive soon.

• Reply 5 of 70
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    I am going to assume anyone that accesses /Users regularly should be able to easily navigate to it hidden or not. And everyone else wont notice the difference.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The "fix" is temporary and will revert when you restart.

The fix isn't temporary because they instruct you to create an alias of your User folder which will not be hidden.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    mstone wrote: »
    Is it a bug or was it intentional?

Yesterday I would have said this was intentional, like with /Library, but knowing that's it not affecting all those updating to 10.9.3 I'd say it has to be a bug at some level.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The fix isn't temporary because they instruct you to create an alias of your User folder which will not be hidden.

That’s hardly an actual fix. It’s a workaround for something that shouldn’t be happening at all.

• Reply 9 of 70
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

It's a bug... It only happens when you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes and have "Find My Mac" enabled. Has nothing to do with the OS upgrade, which is why some people aren't affected.

• Reply 10 of 70

Totally wrong. The fix isn't permanent, and the alias fix doesn't work. If anyone had bothered to try it, they would know it doesn't work.

When you go to /Users, a window opens showing the CONTENTS of the Users folder, not the folder itself. When control-click the icon for Users at the top of the Window, you don't get the option to make an alias.

This is also true if you add Users to the Sidebar or the Dock; you don't get an option to make an alias with either of those.

BUT...you can hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys, and while keeping them held down, drag the Users icon from the top of the window to your Desktop, and an alias will be made there.

Of course, if you then try to move that alias to the root level of your hard drive, you'll get the error message "[t]he item 'Users' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

It sure would be nice if Macrumors and The Loop would check these things before posting them.

• Reply 11 of 70

That’s hardly an actual fix. It’s a workaround for something that shouldn’t be happening at all.

It doesn't fix Apple's bug but it fixes the problem for anyone needing to access to their /Users folder items from within Finder at the root of their directory. The only visible different is a tiny little black arrow in the bottom left corner of the icon denoting it's an alias. This isn't /UsersGate and it's not a reason people should avoid updating.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's a bug... It only happens when you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes and have "Back to my Mac" enabled. Has nothing to do with the OS upgrade, which is why some people aren't affected.

I don't have Back to My Mac enabled, and it happened to me.

• Reply 13 of 70
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post

I don't have Back to My Mac enabled, and it happened to me.

Oops... Sorry, my bad...

It's actually, "Find My Mac"

• Reply 14 of 70
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    I haven't checked if this happened to me at all, but with all my knowledge about Apple devices, I can post an AppleScript that'll keep it from hiding if any of you are uncomfortable with scripting. All you'll have to do is make it run at login real quick. It'll keep it from hiding everytime you restart. If anyone wants that, let me know.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    caused by Find My Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    That makes sense.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    macsimcon wrote: »
    Totally wrong. The fix isn't permanent, and the alias fix doesn't work. If anyone had bothered to try it, they would know it doesn't work.

When you go to /Users, a window opens showing the CONTENTS of the Users folder, not the folder itself. When control-click the icon for Users at the top of the Window, you don't get the option to make an alias.

This is also true if you add Users to the Sidebar or the Dock; you don't get an option to make an alias with either of those.

BUT...you can hold down the COMMAND and OPTION keys, and while keeping them held down, drag the Users icon from the top of the window to your Desktop, and an alias will be made there.

Of course, if you then try to move that alias to the root level of your hard drive, you'll get the error message "[t]he item 'Users' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

It sure would be nice if Macrumors and The Loop would check these things before posting them.

Holy shit!

1) Yes, it has been tested and does work.

2) Here's a fucking picture of the option to make an alias.

3) Here's a fucking picture of the alias after it was created and it accessing the contents of the folder.

4) Here's a fucking picture of the /Users folder in the sidebar and it accessing the contents of the folder.

5) It sounds like you're trying to create an alias with the exact same name as your Folder while residing in the same folder as the hidden item.

6) If you're going to go through so much stupid shit just to have an alias that also is named, exactly, Users then why not just take the 2 minutes to make the simple script that will unhide the /Users folder every time your machine boots up?
  • Reply 18 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It doesn't fix Apple's bug but it fixes the problem for anyone needing to access to their /Users folder items from within Finder at the root of their directory.

Oh, in that case.

This isn’t /UsersGate…

Now you’ve done it. We’ll see it on CNN tonight and they’ll pronounce the slash.

• Reply 19 of 70
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It hides other information as well; was copying files from CD to our server from my Mac and it hid the files as well. This update has been a bit of a lemon.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Bug you say? You can only get to your own anyway and all of that is in the GO menu. I for one welcome our user-less overlords!