SSD drive in a 27 inch 2009 iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2014
I am planning to upgrade the hard drive in this iMac. It appears that on this model iMac , the DVD drive needs to be replaced with a SSD drive. This info came from a chat with OWC tech person. They sell an adapter, called disk doubler ( I think) that replaces the optical drive and allows a SSD drive to be installed.

So I have a 2009 27 inch, 2.8 GHz, i7 iMac with a 1TB hard drive and plan to get an OWC 960 GB SSD drive with the disk doubler adapter. This means the iMac will have two drives. I assume that the SSD drive will be bootable which is why I want a SSD drive.

I have a 2013 MacBook with a SSD drive and it is amazingly fast. I want to speed up the iMac. Has anyone done this upgrade on an old iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lanceh5lanceh5 Posts: 37member

Well I did it.  Went to Reno Mac o Rama and they installed the SSD drive, cost $150.  It was well wroth it.  This iMac seems like a new computer.  I will use the original hard drive as a back up with Super Duper so that it will be bootable.  

I was going to install the Optical Drive that was removed in an external case but the external case that I bought was for 9mm thick optical drives.  The iMac drive was about 12mm.  I may buy a external super drive from Apple. 

Other than that this is working great.  

• Reply 2 of 2

cool ! ... thanks for the write-up ... I'd almost LIKE for my HDD to fail so I'd have an excuse to do that to my iMac. ;)    (I can't recall the last time I actually used the DVD drive)