MacWorld in New York - 2002 is Apple's year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry for the long haitus, but it has been quite busy here. We are in final testing phases of our Apple hardware and there has been an excitement in the air. I believe many of you will be pleasantly surprised with the hardware to be released, and after seeing some other sites, I'd like to remind you all that behind most rumors is a kernel of truth, despite the fact that some sites like to embelish on the tidbit they get. Without further ado...

The PowerMac G4 as we know it will be retired. Well the architecture will at least. We will see changes to the system bus, processor and general layout. Motorola has been hard at work with the 130nm G4. It will scale nicely (at least 1.5GHz by the summer) and have improved bus features. Memory access will be stellar. And you'll see why. not only will DDR SDRAM make a debut but it will not connect to the processor iin a conventional manner. More to come. Cache will also be increased on the processor level. Twice what is seen now. You will see a collaboration with another hardware company, but this will not surprise some of you in the know.

More to come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 619
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's too late.

AMD has Hammer coming out on 400Mhz Point to Point Busses. 8way machines are planned with Quads being demo'd.

Intel has Prescott coming which supports a 666mhz Bus. In addition to the faster speeds that Northwood is going to bring.

Apple is not even close enough to choke on Intel/AMD's fumes.
  • Reply 1 of 619
    27ray27ray Posts: 26member
    I can not wait!

-ray

First post
  • Reply 3 of 619
    phrogmanphrogman Posts: 21member
    Hmmmm....Dorsal's post is just vague enough to be true.

• Reply 3 of 619
    27ray27ray Posts: 26member
    BTW Welcome back!
  • Reply 5 of 619
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    The way I read this is that Moto will continue with the G4, but these will become consumer level only processors, finally breaking out of a very old mother board. IBM moves into the lead for the towers and servers....
  • Reply 6 of 619
    who cares about amd and intel hardware, they're still stuck with the largest bottleneck ever, windows.
  • Reply 6 of 619
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hmm. Who is this Dorsal guy?

How legit is he? On a scale from one to ten. One being Kormac and ten being WorkerBee.
  • Reply 8 of 619
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by MicrosoftOsXp:

<strong>who cares about amd and intel hardware, they're still stuck with the largest bottleneck ever, windows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry ....had a brief rash of cynicism

Go Apple!
  • Reply 9 of 619
    Well, if what you say is true, Dorsal M, then I suspect I'll be making an Apple purchase this summer.

I do love my tried-and-true B&W G3 350MHz, but her video card is aging, and her processor is slow to heed during iMovie edits.

With a cutting-edge G4 processor and a Superdrive, I'll reach new heights-of DVD movie-making ease and productivity.

And with a top-line ATI/nVidia card (and the advent of DirectX to OpenGL conversion software) I'll be playing the best, simultaneously-released, Mac/PC games.

See you in the checkout line,

-theMagius
  • Reply 10 of 619
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Dorsal!!! Moremoremoremore

eBay be prepared to my Dual 800 !

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: jeromba ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 619
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The thing I want to know is this:

Has there been any substantial changes to the architecture of the G4 itself apart from it being moved to the 130nm process?

However memory bandwidth is the biggest hinderance to Apple's machines, its good to hear that they're supposedly tackling this problem head on with an innovative idea...

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see, how long is it till Macworld New York commences?
  • Reply 12 of 619
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by MicrosoftOsXp:

<strong>who cares about amd and intel hardware, they're still stuck with the largest bottleneck ever, windows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dam straight! Anyone who says XP changes the fact is a liar. Your PC may not die as fast, but if you give it enough time (or install enough apps) it's sure to croak. You know I had to reinstall XP for two of my friends this week? Man were those machines ****ed up. Glad I use a Mac and only fix other people's **** boxes.

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Keeksy ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 619
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    What doesn't make sense to me is if Apple had this new motherboard then why wasn't it used for the Xserve?
  • Reply 14 of 619
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Because server must run on a good old and trusty architecture...
  • Reply 15 of 619
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>What doesn't make sense to me is if Apple had this new motherboard then why wasn't it used for the Xserve?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Has Apple started shipping the XServe yet? If not, then they could announce at NY, "IBM/Moto finished the new processor early, so we are going to automatically upgrade all pre-orders for the X-Serve to the new processor/mobo". If they have started shipping them, then it follows Apples history with the server market releases lagging behind desktops.
  • Reply 16 of 619
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>What doesn't make sense to me is if Apple had this new motherboard then why wasn't it used for the Xserve?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is guess for the same reason most of the Intel-based servers are still PIII's with special ServerSet-chipsets instead of P4-Xeons. As already the pricepoint shows, they are entry-level servers - nothing more, and nothing less.

There is no need for a single high-speed processor in that market segment.

If you need processing power you can easily stack the 1U-cases and cluster multiple servers (any news on this front?).
  • Reply 17 of 619
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Hmm. Who is this Dorsal guy?

How legit is he? On a scale from one to ten. One being Kormac and ten being WorkerBee.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kormac is not a one. Maybe a negative one. Kormac is total BS and has never been more than that.

Dorsal is a guy that used to be on these boards, but whose name was poached. (yes I know you know who he is and who this is but humor me) Dorsal M, the admins insist is authentic, but how do we really know?

Though JYD will disagree, Dorsal did pretty much describe the Xserve architecture and the QS towers. I think he knew something, was exposed to Apple product through a few degrees of seperation. Give'em a 6.5
  • Reply 18 of 619
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Hmm. Who is this Dorsal guy?

How legit is he? On a scale from one to ten. One being Kormac and ten being WorkerBee.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh no. One being Kim Kap Sol, my friend. Kormac76/7 is light years ahead of KimKapSol, our plastics-spy-in-hiding.
  • Reply 19 of 619
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    Inventory build up of PowerPC.

We have just seen PowerLogix announce G4 upgrades of up to 1 GHz. Why would Moto suddenly have some extra inventory to sell to PowerLogix when Apple is using G4 in *four* totally separate product lines; G4 tower, Xserve, eMac/iMac, PowerBook G4.

There is obviously good production and Apple stopped buying them for the tower some time ago in prep for the new G4/DDR.

Its all coming together, Xserve was the first warning shot with its DDR 2 Gig RAM and 66/64 PCI slots.

The real deal is the "new" G4 box coming soon. Hey it may even have a new case design in the spirit of the Xserve.

Welcome the news, vague or not, that Apple is ready to push their hardware forward as much as Mac OS X pushed the software forward.
  • Reply 20 of 619
    pendrakependrake Posts: 44member
    The XServe has some interesting design features that people don't think about. Additional L2/L3 cache makes a big difference, and the specialized HyperTransport chipset will help as well. If they _just_ move the architecture from the XServe to the PowerMac it will make a significant difference.