Anyone using a KVM with PC and Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I am building a cheap little PC so I can run some 3D software that isn't on the Mac. I really want to get a KVM and not have to worry about cluttering my desk with another keyboard and mouse. Are any of you using this setup. If so, what KVM are you using? Has anyone been able to use the ApplePro keyboard with a PC?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yessir, right now I'm typing this on my Apple Pro Keyboard, connected to my Hawking KVM, which is hooked to both my Win2k machine and my Powermac G4. It works great except for a couple tiny little things.

First, I can't wake my Windows from sleep (or "stand by") with this keyboard, even if the KVM is switched over to the PC. Prior to using this KVM I had a non-USB keyboard on the PC, so maybe a USB keyboard wouldn't wake the PC from sleep even if it was hooked straight in, not shared, no KVM. Doesn't matter anyway, as sleep mode in Windows sucks rocks. About every 2nd or 3rd wake from sleep, I have no sound, or glitchy digital audio, or mouse buttons don't do what they're suppposed to, or video will only play stop & start & stop.

Second, every time I switch away from the Mac, over to the PC and back to the Mac again, my Mac loses its mouse tracking speed settings. I always leave the tracking speed at maximum, and when I switch out and back again, tracking speed re-sets itself every time to about 40% of max.

Also, at first, Win2k wanted to "find new hardware" every time I switched the KVM back to it. It was finding an "unknown USB device," not sure if this was the KVM itself or some aspect of the keyboard or mouse. It was weird, because both the keyboard and mouse worked OK in Windows and were present in Device Manager. After a while of letting Win2k try to install new drivers for this "unknown USB device" I told it to disable that device, and everything has been fine since.

All in all, a great arrangement. I have this one really great AnthroCart workstation desk, which would be big enough for 2-3 monitors along the top, but the workspace doesn't quite have room for two keyboards plus mice. So I've actually thought about setting up a second monitor, and only using the K and M parts of the KVM, but this is working out great so far, and now I have an extra 19" monitor I can move over to my linux machine.

I got this switch at Maczone for about $70 or so, and it included the necessary cables to run from the switch to your two machines (assuming the machines are right nearby), then you just plug your keyboard & mouse into it, and you're set.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I have a 1.2Ghz PIII running win 2k pro and a DP 500 G4 running OS X 10.1.2

I am using the one from StarTech

It allows four machines to hook up to single monitor, mouse, keyborad

I too am using the Apple keyboard for the setup....but one thing that bothers me is that I can't do 'print screen' (to grab the screen cap on PC) with the Apple keyboard

Anyway. My PC is also running win 2k. It only does the search for device at the first time but after that it just works fine and never asked for driver and stuff again....

Also on more thing. Be very careful with the video cable. Many video cable can cause ghosting on screen. I now am suffering by this annoying thing

Sizzle....any suggestion on the VGA cable?

Regarding your mouse problem. I suggest you to use Kensington's mouse. Their mouse drive does a pretty good job on keeping the mouse track speed. The mouse tracking speed stays the same even I keep switching back and forth

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Awesome! Thanks a lot guys. I thought it would work, just was worried about the Apple keyboard and a PC. All my components shipped today, so I better go order a KVM!

Thanks again,

Matt
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Also on more thing. Be very careful with the video cable. Many video cable can cause ghosting on screen. I now am suffering by this annoying thing

Sizzle....any suggestion on the VGA cable?

Regarding your mouse problem. I suggest you to use Kensington's mouse. Their mouse drive does a pretty good job on keeping the mouse track speed. The mouse tracking speed stays the same even I keep switching back and forth</strong><hr></blockquote>

Leonis, the video cables I'm using between my CPUs and the KVM are these cheap ones that came with the KVM, but no problems. I actually couldn't find a male-to-male patch cord that was VGA plus USB, so I picked the KVM that came with the cords. It also happened to be the cheapest KVM with USB.

As for the mouse problem, I really like my Intellimouse but I also have a Logitech optical that I could try.... I'll give that a whirl.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    More questions...

Sizzle - What is the max resolution the Hawking supports? I went to their site and it mentions nothing about the resolution. I need at least 1600x1200.

Leonis - Know of any good places to get the StarTech KVM's cheap? They don't show up at all at PriceWatch.com. The StarTech emulates the keyboard and Mouse to the PC that is not using it, I'd guess that's the reason why you are not having the mouse or other issues.

Matt
  • Reply 6 of 8
    All the KVM does is pass through the signal, as far as I can tell. It doesn't sync with it so it doesn't care -- it's just a "dumb" switch. I've had my displays set as low as 1024x768 and as high as 1600x1200, no problems (as long as your monitor and video cards support these).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Cool, thanks

A few of the other KVM's I looked at stated a specific maximum resolution, just wanted to make sure.

Matt
  • Reply 8 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by mbezzo:

<strong>More questions...

Sizzle - What is the max resolution the Hawking supports? I went to their site and it mentions nothing about the resolution. I need at least 1600x1200.

Leonis - Know of any good places to get the StarTech KVM's cheap? They don't show up at all at PriceWatch.com. The StarTech emulates the keyboard and Mouse to the PC that is not using it, I'd guess that's the reason why you are not having the mouse or other issues.

Matt</strong><hr></blockquote>

The StarTech KVM I have is bought from buy.com. Got it for way below the SRP. But this package doesn't come with any cable. So you have to buy it yourself. However this KVM is USB bus powered so you don't need external power supply.

It does support the video resolution up to 1920x1440 @85Hz