Rogers Wireless becomes second carrier to confirm iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling support

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
Although Apple didn't have time to discuss iOS 8's Wi-Fi calling capabilities at Monday's Worldwdie Developers Conference, carriers supporting the service -- like Canadian provider Rogers -- have been quite vocal about the upcoming operating system's new capability.

One day after WWDC kicked off with a jam packed two-hour keynote presentation full of announcements and surprises, Rogers Wireless told iPhone in Canada that its network will support the new Wi-Fi calling feature to be introduced in iOS 8 later this fall.
We'll support the iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling feature when it becomes available in Canada. In the meantime, Rogers customers using the Rogers One Number service on their computer, tablet or smartphone can already make calls over Wi-Fi. They can video chat with other Rogers One Number users or call any Canadian number for free, no matter where they are.
Canada has been included in Apple's day-one rollouts for most every product in recent memory, usually being lumped in with America. Exceptions to the rule include content services, the most recent example being iTunes Radio. With a major release like iOS, however, Canada is expected to be in the launch group.

As noted by the publication, Canadians face roaming charges when traveling to the U.S., meaning iOS 8's new Wi-Fi calling feature could be a boon for both customers and wireless operators.

So far only one U.S. carrier has confirmed compatibility with its network. T-Mobile issued a statement on Monday saying it would offer support for Apple's iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling solution when the operating system launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    great, I think that makes two counting T-Mobile.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    I was under the impression it doesn't need carrier support, the Mac just makes the call via Ethernet/wifi to the iPhone which actually connects over the cellular network and places the call. It's VoIP to iPhone, then standard GSM/3/4G onwards.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    I do not understand why carriers need to support wifi calling. they're support is not needed to support VoIP (like Skype) and why would they have to support a mac connecting with an iPhone to make a normal call?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

I do not understand why carriers need to support wifi calling. they're support is not needed to support VoIP (like Skype) and why would they have to support a mac connecting with an iPhone to make a normal call?

That's not what Wi-Fi calling is...  Wi-Fi calling is a feature on T-Mobile (currently only supported by android and windows phone), that will use your wi-fi connection to make calls when your cellular connection is weak.

• Reply 5 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    ah. peculiar. most if the time, the wifi connection is worse than the cellular connection. No public wifi connections, in my experience, are good enough to support VoIP. Do calls switch automatically mid-use, or does the phone chose the better signal when starting the call?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

ah. peculiar. most if the time, the wifi connection is worse than the cellular connection. No public wifi connections, in my experience, are good enough to support VoIP. Do calls switch automatically mid-use, or does the phone chose the better signal when starting the call?

I don't believe the calls switch dynamically.  It's basically, some options on which to prefer based on signal strength at the time of the call.  The options to prefer Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi only, state you have to stay with in Wi-Fi range during the call.  I set mine to prefer cellular...

• Reply 7 of 22
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    elijahg wrote: »
    I was under the impression it doesn't need carrier support, the Mac just makes the call via Ethernet/wifi to the iPhone which actually connects over the cellular network and places the call. It's VoIP to iPhone, then standard GSM/3/4G onwards.
    It may be required to allow the cellular converted threw wifi.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

I do not understand why carriers need to support wifi calling. their support is not needed to support VoIP (like Skype) and why would they have to support a mac connecting with an iPhone to make a normal call?

Obviously carrier support is not needed to do VoIP over WiFi, but what TMo and Rogers offer is their own VoIP over WiFi seamlessly integrated with the cellular calling feature. You don't need to use a separate app for dialing like you would with Skype, just dial normally and the phone will pick the best network to make the call. Also, it will use your cell number. Up until now the feature was only supported on a very limited number of phones.

• Reply 9 of 22
    I'm guessing the telcos need to enable something at their end for your phone number to become available to wi-fi networks.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Hopefully this won't be a feature carriers will charge extra for like AT&T and personal hot spot. 

• Reply 11 of 22
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't see why wi-fi calling wouldn't be supported by all carriers. It doesn't cost them anything. Now the automatic hotspot I can see being an issue...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dminnicidminnici Posts: 15member
    I've been wifi calling on AT&T for a while with my google number and gvoice app... :-)
  • Reply 13 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Does WiFi calling support incoming calls?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Don't confuse this with Handoff.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dminnicidminnici Posts: 15member
    @jd_in_sb
    I am able to receive calls via google voice number... You'll need to allow the app to send you notifications. Not sure about IOS wifi calling feature; however, I am sure it will. Hopefully, IOS 8 wifi calling will use your main mobile number... If not, google voice works fine and you can even set it up to ring you in our main mobile number. :-)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

As a Rogers customer, I've used their One Number service for a couple of years. For the Mac, there's a menubar application with a counterpart web app that runs the service. You can make and receive phone calls, send and receive text messages, and view past text messages through the service. It works just like a phone, with no added latency. It doesn't use the phone itself, it's an internet-based service, and yes, it counts against daytime minutes, since ultimately the call is routed through their network.

• Reply 17 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

It's ironic that this would be a new feature, since 4G/LTE connections are quite often faster than many Wifi networks. But with the vast explosion of Wifi networks, why not take advantage of them, eh? Just wondering about privacy. Can the calls be intercepted with a man-in-the-middle attack?

• Reply 18 of 22
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    elijahg wrote: »

It probably needs carrier support to CALL OTHER PHONES. Kinda like how the iMessage works in principle already, the fallback is to establish a call over GSM/UMTS/VoLTE. But the connection setup is likely something to the tune of:
    Terminating device -> WiFi-> Carrier -> POTS <- Carrier <- Terminating device.

It's literately an extra step. The Rogers One already does the above. Also carriers have had similar services before to save your minutes using UMA before (mostly blackberry devices) so we will have to wait and see if this is any more effective.

You have to remember that the Rogers One/TMo software is just a VoIP app that acts as an "extension" to your mobile device. When the number rings, it rings every device the Rogers One number is logged in with as well as the mobile device.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    There are tons of buildings and canyon locations with horrible LTE/xG coverage but great WiFi. Think of this in relationship to hospital basements, homes and businesses along PCH, the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu and portions of many big city office buildings
  • Reply 20 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

There are tons of buildings and canyon locations with horrible LTE/xG coverage but great WiFi. Think of this in relationship to hospital basements, homes and businesses along PCH, the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu and portions of many big city office buildings

Yes...I support a school building out in the sticks that doesn't have cell service in that area for any carrier. When I had my android phone on T-Mobile, I could use wifi calling as T-Mobile supported it. This would be great to see happen with Verizon as that building does have WiFi coverage in the computer lab (1Gbps fiber connection too).