OS X Yosemite first look: Safari 8 Smart Search, advanced tab controls, more

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2014
Safari remains largely the same in OS X Yosemite, but Apple has added a number of features and made a few key tweaks that make the venerable web browser more intelligent and a little easier to use.

Smart Search Bar

The Smart Search Bar, n?e Address Bar, is where the majority of Safari 8's new features and improvements can be found. Most noticeably, desktop Safari now follows the mobile Safari convention of hiding all but the root domain of a URL -- users need to give the search bar focus by clicking in it to reveal the full URL.

A number of changes come into play once users being to type in the search bar. If the user is currently on a web page, clicking in the search bar will result in an icon-stuffed dropdown menu of the users' favorite and most frequently visited sites. If the user is already at the Favorites or Top Sites screens, however, nothing will happen until the user begins typing.

In either case, once some text has been entered, the bar will default to a Mavericks-style dropdown of Google suggestions and history shortcuts. One notable addition in this view is a new quick links feature that integrates Spotlight suggestions, such as Wikipedia entries, directly into the dropdown.

Tabs

The most glaring addition to Safari 8's tabbed browsing is the new Mission Control-like tab overview. Activated from a dedicated button in the upper-right hand corner, the new look gives a birds-eye view of every tab currently open in that Safari window, grouped by website.

Safari 8's tab bar also has a slightly different behavior when there are a large number of tabs open, altering the width of tabs on either end, depending on where the currently-focused tab resides. Users can scroll through the bunched-up tabs by swiping side-to-side on their trackpad or Magic Mouse, allowing them to see tabs which are out of view --?this replaces the pulldown menu that previous appeared on the right-hand side when too many tabs were open.

Private Browsing

Private Browsing has been expanded in Safari 8, with users now able to create Chrome-like private windows while allowing other windows to remain open. Previously, going private meant taking every window private at the same time, an inconvenience for many users.

Opening a private window causes the smart search bar to turn a dark gray, similar to the paradigm used in iOS. A short message confirms that any visited pages, search history, or AutoFill information used in a private window won't be retained.

History

Safari's Clear History function is the beneficiary of a significant makeover. In another move reminiscent of Chrome, users can now choose to clear their history for the past hour, today, today and yesterday, or all time. Interestingly, it appears that Apple is set to synchronize browsing history on every device by default -- clearing history on a Mac will also clear history on any other device signed in to the same iCloud account.

Sharing

Safari 8 brings a huge expansion of sharing options, many of which can be customized using OS X's new systemwide Extensions functionality. Additionally, sharing is now done in translucent overlays -- choosing a sharing option will cause the Safari window to "swell" slightly as a screenshot is taken, which will then make its way into the sharing overlay while the rest of the window is darkened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    During the Keynote, it appeared like the menubar was completely flat, but in the above screenshot, it appears to still have a bit of a bowed, gradient appearance. I wonder what the difference is?

(and aren't these articles read by a second person before posting? The typos are inexcusable)
  • Reply 2 of 43

I know this completely unrelated, but I just wanted to point out how unreal this is.

It's a paradox, it's unreal, but it's more real than ever.

After the 7-1 stock split, Apple only has to go to $165.85 to become...

The world's first company to have a market capitalization of $1,000,000,000,000 or $1 Trillion dollars.. Wow, guys.

Unrelated, I know, but seriously.

• Reply 3 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Looks Snappier™
  • Reply 4 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Tabs

The most glaring addition to Safari 8's tabbed browsing is the new Mission Control-like tab overview. Activated from a dedicated button in the upper-right hand corner, the new look gives a birds-eye view of every tab currently open in that Safari window, grouped by website.

It’s embarrassing that Apple went an entire year and an entire OS with a “Tab View” that is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY USELESS. I’d be happy that they finally fixed it, but it shouldn’t have had to be fixed.

Originally Posted by torterra2020 View Post

After the 7-1 stock split, Apple only has to go to $165.85 to become… The world's first company to have a market capitalization of $1,000,000,000,000 or $1 Trillion dollars.. Wow, guys.

What day is that, again?

• Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What day is that, again?

It's set to split on Monday, June 9th, 2014.

• Reply 6 of 43
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

It’s embarrassing that Apple went an entire year and an entire OS with a “Tab View” that is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY USELESS. I’d be happy that they finally fixed it, but it shouldn’t have had to be fixed.

What?  What was "useless" about it?  I use it every day and found it very straightforward.  I haven't used it yet--just read about it here, but I don't see how the scroll left-right thing is a big improvement.  But then I tend to have 6-8 tabs per window and 2 or 3 windows.  Maybe you keep dozens of tabs open?

• Reply 7 of 43
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

What?  What was "useless" about it?

Tab “view”… and you can only view one tab.

HOW DOES THIS HELP ANYONE?

• Reply 8 of 43

And what makes a browser "venerable?"  The Safari of today is closer to today's Chrome and Firefox than it is to Safari of 5 years ago.  Now if you want to call iTunes "venerable" I can agree with you.  Although even then "long in the tooth" is more apt than a word that means "worthy of respect as a result of great age, wisdom, remarkable achievements, or similar qualities."

• Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Tab “view”… and you can only view one tab.

HOW DOES THIS HELP ANYONE?

Oh THAT.  Yeah, I have never used that.  You're right.  Thanks for the clarification.

• Reply 10 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I never thought I'd say this, but I came to like the iPad's favorties-grid better than the bar, and turned the bar off. Now I'll do the same on the desktop!

Of course the bar is one click quicker... but what's even quicker than that? The Command-# shorcuts! Those work even when the bar is hidden.

So it's the best of all worlds: big, visual favorites that match the iPad, unclutterd UI that leaves more room for web content, instant keyboard launching of favorites, and a visible bar if you still want it.

I'm less pleased with the domain-only URL, but I accept it as long as it's shown on click and remains editable (as I'm sure it always will be, at least as a developer-menu toggle). I'd like an option to keep the full URL visible (with domain shown darker) the way it is now. It's useful! But not, I realize, to most people.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

What day is that, again?

Do you mean, "What day does it split", or, "What day does it hit $1 trillion"?

I think bets are in order on the latter.

• Reply 12 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nagromme wrote: »
    I'm less pleased with the domain-only URL, but I accept it as long as it's shown on click and remains editable (as I'm sure it always will be, at least as a developer-menu toggle). I'd like an option to keep the full URL visible (with domain shown darker) the way it is now. It's useful! But not, I realize, to most people.

1) Yes, it will have to remain editable or it would no longer be useful.

2) I, too, would like a Developer menu option for showing the full domain but I both understand and agree with Apple's choice to move to a domain-only system as it makes phishing scams more obvious for the average user and there is really no reason the average user need to see the string query in a URL. I read that latest Google Chrome versions do the same thing.

3) My new issue with Safari 8 in Yosemite is when typing in the Search Bar the default choice is to search the site of the website that's currently loaded. You have to go below that to do a Search engine search or open up a new, empty Tab to get results that are not base on a website. I'd like to be able to move my google search option up.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Do you mean, "What day does it split", or, "What day does it hit $1 trillion"?

I think bets are in order on the latter.

The Ex Date is June 9th, next Monday.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

Anyone out there able to open a jpeg with Yosemite? Preview opens but the jpeg won't show up I tried it with a screen shot and still nothing?

Thanks for any help

• Reply 15 of 43
    Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

Anyone out there able to open a jpeg with Yosemite? Preview opens but the jpeg won't show up I tried it with a screen shot and still nothing?

Thanks for any help

Yep. Works fine.

• Reply 16 of 43
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Yep. Works fine.

Thank you. I think I will install the drive and see if that fixes it I am using it on a firewire set up.

• Reply 17 of 43

Energy Saver has moved now from a fluorescent bulb to an LED bulb.

And that’s nice, because the squiggle nonsense was always ugly.

EDIT: Oh, Apple.

YES! We can finally get rid of useless nonsense in the Share menu! Screw you, Facebook!

• Reply 18 of 43
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The most glaring addition to Safari 8's tabbed browsing is the new Mission Control-like tab overview.

I don't believe I've ever heard those words phrased together that way before.   :\

• Reply 19 of 43
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't believe I've ever heard those words phrased together that way before.   :\

It’s a spectacular view, by the way.

Though this bothers me greatly:

What happened to “block from third party ad providers"? What if I want to block them and only accept cookies from the exact site I visited? What if I DON’T want to save cookies from previously visited websites?

I don’t like this.

• Reply 20 of 43
    ...Tendency, please stop, Nicolas cage? What Internet pages you looking at over there?