Supposed 'iPad Air 2' dummy suggests Apple may have toyed with recessed volume buttons

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2014
While Apple's next-generation full-sized iPad isn't expected to see a major redesign this year, a new set of dummy models claiming to show the look of 2014 iPad Air feature tweaked volume buttons with a new, recessed design, along with a Touch ID enabled home button.

The nonfunctioning dummy model shows an indented space for two elongated volume buttons, representing a change from the current iPad Air where the buttons protrude. The mockup was first spotlighted on Tuesday by Nowhereelse.fr.

Strangely, the dummy device also lacks a mute/orientation lock switch above the volume buttons, and instead has just a small circular hole. To date, all iPad models have featured a toggle switch above the volume controls, just like every iPhone.

Of course, it's possible that the mockup is a fabrication, or represents a design that Apple tested but ultimately decided not to use. An updated iPad Air is expected to arrive this fall, about one year after the launch of the 2013 model.

The mockup of a white iPad also shows the same design of a blank home button with silver ring around it found on the white iPhone 5s with Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Apple is widely expected to bring Touch ID to its iPad lineup later this year, allowing for secure access to its tablets and also potentially opening the door for quick multi-user support or other advanced functions.

A pair of other minor changes are also portrayed in the mockup. The alleged design has a tiny circular microphone hole next to the camera hole, which would be a change from the elongated microphone hole that is centered atop the current iPad Air.

And finally, on the bottom of the mockup device, the stereo speaker grille located to the left and right of the Lightning connector space features a single row of circles. The current iPad Air features two rows of smaller circles for its speaker grille.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    Looks like the real thing.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Looks real.
    If it's a fake, the people who made it understand Apple very well. Those recessed buttons make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Looks real, what we expect as an update.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    I'll hold off for the Ipad Pro if there such a thing.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Fake¡ Apple does everything symmetrical which means recessed buttons would be in the very center of the device. I mean the very center of all three axes.
  • Reply 6 of 40

I'm not surprised that it looks almost the same as the current iPad Air. When your basic design isn't broken, there is no need to change it.

• Reply 7 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

That actually looks nice and makes sense. That design has alot of advantages. 

• Reply 8 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    That actually looks nice and makes sense. That design has alot of advantages. 
    Tell that to the MacRumors crowd whining about no stereo speakers. :lol:
  • Reply 9 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What is the hole next to the volume control?

• Reply 10 of 40

The recessed power button on the top (when in portrait orientation) is welcomed. 

At least for me, when I'm playing Airwings... I mean, working on spreadsheets, sometimes I hit the button and shut the iPad down right in the middle of a game, I mean spreadsheet.

I consider that punishment for not flipping the iPad so those buttons are higher up and away from my hands.

• Reply 11 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Looks reasonable to me.  I mean, the TouchID certainly has a, what?  99.999999% chance of happening?

And the recessed buttons are a slight but sensible change.  

• Reply 12 of 40
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From Mac Rumors:

Quote:

Nowhereelse.fr mentions that the mute switch is also missing, although there is a small hole where the feature is usually located. Unfinished protoype and mockup parts sometimes feature these pilot holes to guide machining of the final hole. 

• Reply 13 of 40
    Actually, these photos look fake to me. To my eyes, the depth of field seems just a hair off on the features in question.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

Actually, these photos look fake to me. To my eyes, the depth of field seems just a hair off on the features in question.

The images are obviously of a real object. That says nothing whatsoever as to the accuracy thereof, however.

Remember that last year's iPad mockups included TouchID. Of course, those also had the orientation lock switch, which this moron decided no one wants anymore.

• Reply 15 of 40
    rs9 wrote: »
    I'll hold off for the Ipad Pro if there such a thing.

Personally, I'm holding off for the iPad 12, due in late 2020. "If there such a thing."
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mstone wrote: »

On a Windows Mobile device, it would be where you insert a sharp object to reboot the device when Windows Mobile inevitably locked up. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mstone wrote: »

They say it could be a guide hole for further machining but there's no reason that a toggle switch has to be a physical switch. It could be a sensor that toggles when you touch it. Perhaps it can work as both mute and orientation lock if it uses swipes. Swipe over it upwards to lock orientation, swipe up again to unlock, swipe down to mute, swipe down to unmute. It wouldn't enable accidentally as you'd have to do the gesture. One less moving part to break.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Looks real.
    If it's a fake, the people who made it understand Apple very well. Those recessed buttons make a lot of sense.

That is the first thing I thought. Recessing those buttons would be a huge improvement over current designs on both iPads.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They say it could be a guide hole for further machining but there's no reason that a toggle switch has to be a physical switch. It could be a sensor that toggles when you touch it. 

I don't know about a sensor. On my iPhone it shows red marker when toggled. I don't think Apple would want to loose that subtle detail. If it was a sensor, it would need to be an LED indicator too and that would draw power.

• Reply 20 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It could be a sensor that toggles when you touch it.

Sounds awful. Accidental touches ahoy, if it's anything like the ambient light sensor.