Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' to sport optical image stabilization, 4.7-inch version will not

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Due to supply constraints, Apple's rumored 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" handset is not expected to come with optical image stabilization (OIS) components, one analyst says, though yields may be high enough to include the part in a larger 5.5-inch variant.

In a research note obtained by AppleInsider, noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts the smaller 4.7-inch version of Apple's expected iPhone 6 will use a middle-mount open-loop voice coil motor, not an OIS VCM. The part is said to be an updated version of what is being used in the iPhone 5s.

Unlike common VCMs, an OIS system mechanically controls a light path as it travels from lens to sensor either through manipulation of lens elements or the sensor itself. OIS modules are more expensive than middle-mount VCMs and, in some cases, can be heavier as well.

Kuo sees Apple deploying an OIS VCM in the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 to further differentiate the "phablet" from the company's other handset offerings. With superior image quality, the larger iPhone can be marketed as a higher-end device with a substantially different feature set. The analyst estimates the OIS part comes at a $3 or $3.5 premium over the iPhone 5s VCM.

Despite the lack of OIS in the 4.7-inch handset, the middle-mount VCM is said to outperform the current iPhone 5s in terms of focus speed and power efficiency. Put up against competing smartphones, however, the open-loop VCM Apple plans to deploy is deficient. Handsets like Samsung's Galaxy S5 and the upcoming Mi4 from Xiaomi feature closed-loop VCM designs that track focus points for quick focusing and power-efficient operation.

While focus and stabilization hardware may differ between the two models, Kuo is confident that both iPhone 6 versions will use an 8-megapixel Sony sensor customized especially for Apple. Combined with Apple's vertical software and hardware integration, the complete package will likely be a market leader when the device sees launch later this year, Kuo said.

Apple has traditionally shied away from battling rival manufacturers on specs like megapixels, instead focusing on finer details to eke out the highest performance possible from existing platforms. For example, the camera sensor used in the iPhone 5s boosted pixel size to 1.5 microns in diameter, increasing the module's light gathering capabilities by 33 percent compared to the iPhone 5. The change was accompanied by a faster f/2.2 lens group that offered improved low-light performance and higher image quality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    It really bothers me that you make the title of the article seem like fact. I'm fine with rumors and I like to hear opinions but you should state this as a "Rumor:" before your sensationalist headline.

I'm stepping off my stump now.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Total nonsense.

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.

There’s nothing “professional” about a device too large to be used.

• Reply 5 of 65
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Well, nothing screams pro louder than arriving with a caddy.

----

Other than that, OIS as a differentiator makes as much sense as this bunk about the iPhone 5c having no Siri they told us last year. Every single year they bombard us with these shortage stories, and every year initial supply is better than the year before.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    ljm8283ljm8283 Posts: 5member
    Is the 4.7 gonna the new 5c and the 5.5 gonna be the new 5s? I think there is gonna be some people disappointed that the 4.7 ip6 is not gonna have the same features as the bigger phone. As I said before I wish they would make these phones with the same software, just the screen sizes are the only difference between them, for people who like the smaller or bigger phones. Hoping that this article is just a rumor because why would you market something if you don't have enough for both phones. Which hence brings me back to my orignal question at the beginning of my thread.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    That's retarted I hate large phone and the camera really the camera they can't add that 1 thing !! Apple was better with Steve
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Why did I get a notification about this story? This does not seem like that big of a story to warrant a notification to let me know that it's breaking news.
    That's the first thing that thought. Notifications should be for actual news and not rumors or opinion. This used to be my go to news source for iOS/Mac. If this continues im deleting this app.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    H[quote name="michaeloftroy" url="/t/180884/apples-5-5-inch-iphone-6-to-sport-optical-image-stabilization-4-7-inch-version-will-not#post_2555140"]Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.[/quoteThat would be dumb I don't want a fricken iPad as a phone
  • Reply 10 of 65
    There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out
  • Reply 11 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    After they made the iPad mini have the same feature set as the iPad Air, I simply don't see them releasing two different feature-sets. Different prices? Maybe 50-100 difference, but I think everything else outside of screen will be identical.

Only idiot phone manufacturers cripple their smaller-screened brethren. I'd hate to see Apple follow in Samsung and HTCs idiotic footsteps.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    iphone 3gs wrote: »
    There still keeping it at 8 megapixels ... The 4S has that and that's will be 4 iphone models ago when the 6 comes out

Dang... They released the new iPhone and I missed it? Please provide a link on apple.com

Oh, you took an analysts word as fact? You poor little thing
  • Reply 13 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It will really suck if a larger model iPhone has stuff a smaller version doesn't. I don't want to lose premium hardware features just because I don't want an iPhablet. I hope these analysts are wrong. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 14 of 65
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If they can't make enough of a part to put it in the mainstream iPhone, then it simply can't (yet) be done.

That's no reason to omit it from a higher model.

But PLEASE don't keep increasing the megapixels. It doesn't help image quality, and it's terrible for wasting storage and bandwidth and processing speed.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    andysol wrote: »
    After they made the iPad mini have the same feature set as the iPad Air, I simply don't see them releasing two different feature-sets. Different prices? Maybe 50-100 difference, but I think everything else outside of screen will be identical.

Only idiot phone manufacturers cripple their smaller-screened brethren. I'd hate to see Apple follow in Samsung and HTCs idiotic footsteps.
    Except the iPad mini display isn't as good as the iPad Air's display. I hope Apple doesn't go this route with the iPhone. The only difference should be display size and price (because of bigger display).
  • Reply 16 of 65
    iphone 3gs wrote: »

There, their, they're now...
  • Reply 17 of 65
    nagromme wrote: »
    If they can't make enough of a part to put it in the mainstream iPhone, then it simply can't (yet) be done.

That's no reason to omit it from a higher model.

But PLEASE don't keep increasing the megapixels. It doesn't help image quality, and it's terrible for wasting storage and bandwidth and processing speed.
    Well the ANALysts MacRumors is quoting claim OIS is an extra $4 or $5 dollars per phone and so Apple will restrict it to the 5.5" model. I hope they're wrong because that's BS. But if it's true at least it will save me some money. I don't want a 5.5" phone and I won't buy the 4.7" model if it has lesser hardware specs just so Apple can protect margins. If Apple forces people to buy the 5.5" model to get the best device I think that will impact sales in a negative way.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    ljm8283 wrote: »
    Hoping that this article is just a rumor.....

At this point, *everything* about a new iPhone is a rumor.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeloftroy View Post

Nice. Glad there will be some type of hardware differentiation. I wonder if we will see the name 'iPhone Pro' make an appearance. I don't necessarily like the name, but if Apple can offer other forms of hardware differentiation like this, then the name may fit.

That's a terrible idea. If they make some features exclusive to a jumbo screen model that will create a conflict for the substantial portion of their customers that have no interest in such a large phone. Let's hope this is a false rumor.

• Reply 20 of 65
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total nonsense.

Agreed, there seems to be this media dream that a pro device must be bigger and more unwieldy in order to deserve a "pro" moniker... It drives me up the freaking wall!

From my generation, pro simply meant it can do professional tasks with greater ease, more flexibility, and better quality results than standard.