Rumor: Apple to limit 128GB 'iPhone 6' option to 5.5-inch model

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
According to a rumor out of China, Apple may release a 128GB version of its next-generation iPhone, but restrict the option to a higher-end 5.5-inch model in a bid to differentiate the "phablet" device from the company's stable of smartphones.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Chinese Apple blog Feng.com claims Apple will limit its 128GB "iPhone 6" offerings to a rumored 5.5-inch handset, meaning the supposed 4.7-inch version will carry over the current maximum capacity of 64GB.

The report comes on the heels of another questionable rumor from Wednesday that predicted Apple's next iPhone will launch on Sept. 19. Coming from Chinese Internet firm Tencent, the date is thought to be an estimated guess that happens to line up with similar claims made by German wireless provider Deutsche Telekom in May.

Relating to Thursday's rumor, Tencent claimed Apple's new handset will launch in 32GB and 64GB capacities for about $850 and $1,000, respectively. No mention was made of a 16GB model, suggesting the company may ditch the lowest-end model altogether.

A theory put forth by noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple may be looking to further differentiate a larger 5.5-inch iPhone version from its smaller-screened siblings. Kuo said in a report earlier this week that the larger model will likely feature a rear-facing camera module with optical image stabilization, while the 4.7-inch variant will go without.

While mere speculation, Apple could be pushing users toward new iCloud pricing plans that build on the current 5GB of free storage by adding 10GB for $20 per year, or 20GB for $40 per year.

When the next-gen iPhone lineup launches, many expect a complete redesign with thinner profiles, relocated sleep/wake button and advanced "A8" processor. Apple has already released two beta versions of the forthcoming iOS 8 that will power the unannounced devices, though the latest builds yield little information about the new hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    And the image has "Android ice cream" in the background, etc... Really? Dicey image I think.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    umm iCloud pricing has changed.. it's $.99 /mo for 20GB or $3.99/mo for 200GB

You quoted OLD pricing in article..
  • Reply 3 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I used to be desperate for a larger capacity iPhone but iTunes Match has persuaded me that 64GB is fine.

• Reply 4 of 57
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Why do we have, 'alleged mockups' and 'questionable rumours'? A mockup is not the real deal and a rumour isn't a report.

A 5.5" iPhone would be an interesting proposition from my perspective. I'm due for a new iPad and iPhone in September and rather than buying both, the obvious question is whether the iPhone alone would suffice. With some advances, it might. Pertinent to my thinking is that:

[1] I wear glasses now to read anything on a device smaller than my beautiful 27" iMac screen. No change there.

[2] A single device would certainly be convenient.

[3] I have very big hands, I can easily grab my 9.7" iPad across its width to pick up, so, now problem there for single hand use.

[4] I could spend more on the one device, even buying a bigger iPhone without a contract.

[5] The new device needs to sit happily in the back pocket of my cycling jersey.

[6] The biggest iPhone it seems, might sport unique features. This would always attract a tragic such as myself.

Interested to know what factors would enter into the buying decision of others in this community.

All the best.

• Reply 5 of 57
    njohan81njohan81 Posts: 12member
    The new iPhone 6 and the two sizes..

With iP6-big = Have only 64Gb and boost the battery capacity with the other "64Gb of space" that would been used to the 128Gb space in phone...

With iP6-tiny :-p = or on both.. take away the lighting cable and put some more smaller processors to help with small tasks that helps the battery, or use every nanometer of space to battery. And for transfer information its WiFi/BT, and for the electricity its does wireless-power-stations.

It would be a nice feature on iPhone 6, if they have a battery life that would last not one day, but 1 week or month in standby mode.

Its like waiting for christmas with the iPhone 6 premiere, in about 3 moths ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 57
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    icarbon wrote: »
    I really would prefer if they stopped making the phone bigger -- I get that there's a need in the market, so they want a bigger option, but why is the small one getting bigger also? I want my phone as small as possible while maintaining function; until they make a clamshell iPhone, people like me will contemplate a switch every time the increase the size of this thing.

A "switch" to what, exactly? You do know that there won't be a single smaller premium phone offered by anyone else, right? That's why Apple can safely enlarge the sizes. People that don't like it don't have viable options for a smaller size from anyone else anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I really hope these rumors aren't true. Some people don't want an "iPhablet". Why should they have to settle for inferior options just because they prefer a smaller size? Plus Apple's pretty much gone away from that differentiation with the iPad. Don't see why the iPhone should be different.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I absolutely hate these mockups that increase the height of the forehead and chin when they increase the display size.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I think the Big Phat Phone thing needs to run its course and the marketplace will ultimately decide which form factors are worth keeping around. This has already happened with laptop/notebook computers (and many other products like cars) and the tendency seems to be to settle on a small number of sizes that satisfies the most number of people. Today we really don't know where that will be with smartphones. When making calls was the only thing a cell phone had to do smaller was almost always better. With smartphones making calls is often one of the least used capabilities (but still ahead of NFC) so smallness is no longer better. The universal archetype for all smartphones, the original iPhone, was a monster compared to cell phones of the day. But now that fewer people care about the calling capability, except while driving of course, the iPhone is no longer a monster.

In fact, I'm still skeptical that we'll be seeing a 5.5" iPhone and think it may just be the next iPod Touch which ought to be called the iPad Micro or iPad Game. We'll see.

There's nothing magical or innovative about deciding on the optimal size for a product once you have the ability to scale it up or down while retaining a good feature mix. It's simply one of many variables in the equation. Smartphone sizing is still an experiment in progress and one that Apple will no doubt have to contend with in future products.

I think Apple recognizes the size dilemma but they've tried to not turn their customer base into a giant pool of guinea pigs like most of the other smartphone vendors have done. Apple at least tries to put the customer first and recognizes that they actually need to get productive value from products from day one. Other vendors, Samsung in particular, has absolutely no problem viewing products as hobby projects and toys and customers as guinea pigs. If you enjoy the playful fun of being a paying product tester then riding the Galaxy Roller Coaster may be a hoot. If you need to get stuff done and need reliability and predictability the iPhone may be right there in your comfort zone.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    removed duplicate post
  • Reply 12 of 57
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Doesnt make sense.  Because Money.

Look I love Apple as much as the next fan.  I have iPhone, iPad, iPod, AppleTV, Mac, Airport, etc.  And if there's one thing I've learned from buying these devices is that Apple is first and foremost a hardware company.  Meaning the vast majority of their profits come from hardware.  There is no way in hell they would miss out on the opportunity to sell a $899 128GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen to those consumers who wish to own one.  Especially when you consider that the only difference between the $599 16GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen.. would be $200 in profit for Apple and the extra 112GB flash memory for the consumer.

Here is my guesstimate pricing for the new iPhone6 coming in Sept:

$599 16GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$699 32GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$799 64GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$899 128GB iPhone6 with a 4.7" screen

$699 16GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$799 32GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$899 64GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

$999 128GB iPhone6 Max with a 5.5" screen

• Reply 13 of 57
    They come out with the 128 gig option and it's only for the larger screen? That would really suck. I'm still holding out hope for a 4 inch phone that gives a 128 gig option then I can just tell Apple
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45039/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 14 of 57
    balken07balken07 Posts: 10member
    I really dont like all these rumors pointing out that the 5,5" will contain more features than the 4,7". Imo they should be the same in hardware, just a difference in size (and battery capacity ofc).
  • Reply 15 of 57
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

If they have only 128Gb option available on the BIG6 then it is destined to fail. I would like a 64Gb myself and think that would provide adequate space. The docs will be a bit larger and the BIG6 icons and controls will take more space, but not that much more. I have a 5s 64Gb now and keep approx 5000 photos, 3000 songs and a ridiculous 125-ish apps (many of which I don't use regularly) and still find an adequate 6.5 to 8Gb space to play with (actual empty space). I just don't see a need with the iCloud option to push a 128Gb device. I am sure there are folx with use cases that support that much memory but none that I can think of -- especially at the price they will end up at. I think Apple will have at least a 64Gb and 128Gb.

Give me a rigid case so that the BIG6 screen does not break and then stuff every nook and cranny with battery. You don't need to shave off another 0.5 mm to make it slimmer. I would love to be able to do more stuff on my iPhone that I am pushed to my iPad (or my iMac 27) for because it is just to small. And let me use it with GPS and BT on without watching the battery drain like there is a hole in it. I also assume the new processor will consume a bit more juice and managing the larger screen will as will the OIS since it is mechanical. All this screams 'more battery' to me.

• Reply 16 of 57
    balken07 wrote: »
    I really dont like all these rumors pointing out that the 5,5" will contain more features than the 4,7". Imo they should be the same in hardware, just a difference in size (and battery capacity ofc).

I disagree with the capacity rumour since capacity is independent of usage type but I think it needs to be have features specific to being a larger volume device.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I absolutely hate these mockups that increase the height of the forehead and chin when they increase the display size.

Agreed.

It is amazing that they have the balls to call that a mockup when it looks closer to a copy and scale up (and as someone mentioned the android figures in the background -- somebody get a new intern?). I suspect the actual size won't be much larger than the next size down save the difference in screen size. If they really did scale those up (as shown) you could have a Touch ID sensor large enough to match 3 fingers ???? or an optional foldout solar panel in the top. ????

• Reply 18 of 57
    Or...have the 4.7" be available in 32 and 64GB sizes, and the 5.5" in 64 and 128GB sizes.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Or...have the 4.7" be available in 32 and 64GB sizes, and the 5.5" in 64 and 128GB sizes.

I see no reason why that would have to be the case unless the number of NAND chips on the logic board would be doubling instead of simply doubling the NAND chip's capacity. Usage certainly doesn't warrant that a slightly larger display require double the capacity.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

128GB iPhone?

I had the 64GB iPhone 5 and found it was overkill.  When I bought the 5S, I opted for the 32GB model and haven't regretted it, even with literally a thousand vacation photos on it (temporarily, of course).

OTOH, the iPad has been a completely different story.  32GB hasn't been nearly enough to store movies, and I would opt for a 128GB model if Apple would just make one with a TouchID sensor.