Spilt water on keyboard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited December 2014
Help! I spilt a glass of water all over my iMac wired keyboard. Most of the keys seem to work, but one or two don't. Luckily, none of them are essentials.

Any advice for self-repair? Cover the keyboard in dry rice for a day?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If you have a sealing container large enough, dump some rice in there and leave the keyboard in for a few days, yep.

• Reply 2 of 10
    If you have a sealing container large enough, dump some rice in there and leave the keyboard in for a few days, yep.

Great, thanks TS.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

I hope you unplugged it quickly and shut it down. There may be some lasting damage, but water isn't one of the more corrosive things. It can contain corrosive elements, but it's nowhere near as bad as juice, coffee, soda, etc. I would give it a few days. The purpose of the rice is just to absorb moisture. If it was something other than water, I would suggest cleaning with isopropyl, preferably of a very high concentration. The reason for that is that it's not conductive.

• Reply 4 of 10
    hmm wrote: »
    I hope you unplugged it quickly and shut it down. There may be some lasting damage, but water isn't one of the more corrosive things. It can contain corrosive elements, but it's nowhere near as bad as juice, coffee, soda, etc. I would give it a few days. The purpose of the rice is just to absorb moisture. If it was something other than water, I would suggest cleaning with isopropyl, preferably of a very high concentration. The reason for that is that it's not conductive.

Thanks very much for the advice.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    intheoryintheory Posts: 4member

The first thing to do is unplug the keyboard. Flush it with distilled water (nonconductive) to wash away any water soluble residues and then flush it with 99-100% methanol or isopropanol (dissolves water and carries it away). Be very careful as both are extremely flammable and the fumes are a health hazard!

Get the cheapest clay type kitty litter you can find, bake a few pounds of it in an oven @ 350ºF for an hour or two. Put it in an air tight container while it cools.

Put the keyboard or other unfortunate device in a cloth bag (a pillow case works), place it on a bed of the baked litter in a sealable container, cover it with the remainder and seal the container. If possible place the container in a warm place (a parked car during warm weather works well). Change out the litter a few times over the course of a few days and hope for the best.

• Reply 6 of 10
    siliviasilivia Posts: 8member

I would like to suggest that don’t turn on your computer. Leave it open to dry for a week. You can also put a paper towel under the keyboard for when it drips. .......After that it’s not working then take it to computer store and ask for help.

• Reply 7 of 10

My daughter spilt a cup of cool hot chocolate on my Macbook Pro. I disconnected it from the charger, stood it on end for a while for the drink to drain from it and hoped for the best. The only damage it did was blow the fuse in the charger plug. The least used keys were a bit sticky for a while but it has been ok. This must surely be a good advert for Apple.

• Reply 8 of 10
    grem1967 wrote: »
    My daughter spilt a cup of cool hot chocolate on my Macbook Pro. I disconnected it from the charger, stood it on end for a while for the drink to drain from it and hoped for the best. The only damage it did was blow the fuse in the charger plug. The least used keys were a bit sticky for a while but it has been ok. This must surely be a good advert for Apple.

'cool hot chocolate'

Can you make up your mind? Was it cool or hot?

And you're saying that it's a good advert for Apple that their users are prone to spilling liquids on their precious computers? I’ll take your word for it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grem1967 View Post

Now all you have to worry about is corrosion. It would still be a good idea to flush the keyboard with distilled or deionized water and alcohol followed by the cat litter trick I mentioned up topic. Hot chocolate contains sugar which will cause dust to adhere (which is why the sticky keys stopped being sticky), plus many other compounds (including acids) which will corrode connections over time. Then get a good keyboard cover like this one. Spilled liquids don't always kill electronics immediately, sometimes they take a while and it isn't the water that does the damage but the chemicals dissolved in the water.

• Reply 10 of 10

Benjamin, I guess you're just being daft, but language gets lost in text sometimes. So for the benefit of everyone else - the hot chocolate wasn't the pop group, it was a hot drink that had cooled down, and no I am not saying that daughter is a typical Apple user, just a typical 13 year old that thinks she is infallible. However, the lap top is still working, despite its ordeal and is therefore a good advert for Apple. How this clears thing up, if you were confused (but I don't think you were really). Just 'aving a laugh!