MacBook Air late 2010: New flash storage

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2014

Hi you Guys,

I upgrade my MBA with an OWC 480 GB 6G flash storage. I turn the computer on with alt and I am able to connect with my WIFI (Airport/Time Capsule).

Now my Problem: The MBA shows only the WIFI connection, I have no options or choises to choose. What can i do?

I will appriciate you help, thans a lot.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Best Regards

Gerhard Bischoff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Hey there. What’s your native language–a Germanic root? We have a few non-English speakers here who might be able to help natively, or we could know which Apple help article to link you directly.

I’m guessing that you have a MacBook Air that can use Internet Recovery. Are you saying that when you get to this screen:

all you see is the option to pick a Wi-Fi network? That would mean your new SSD isn’t plugged in correctly, so the computer doesn’t see it.

• Reply 2 of 5

Hi "Tallest Skil", thanks for the reply!

Yes, german is my native language.

Thanks for the Sceenshot - exactly, my computer shows only the WIFI possibility.

I pluged-in the SSD again, but still the same problem. Could it be that the 480 GB doesn´t work with MBA 2010?

I have created an image of the old SSD on an external HDD, but he also doesn´t find the HDD.

Question und problem in german language (Fragen und Probleme in deutsch)

Ich habe einen OWC 480 GB 6G flashspeicher in mein MacBook Air (MBA) late 2010 eingebaut. Er findet den neuen Speicher nicht, ich habe ihn auch schon mehr mal eingesteckt, um sicher zu gehen, dass er richtig eingesteckt ist.

Als nächstes habe ich ein image erstellt auf einer externen (USB) Festplatte, aber auch diese konnte er nicht finden.

Funktioniert der Speicher nicht bei einem MBA late 2010?

Mache ich vielleicht irgendetwas anderes falsch?

Danke für die Hilfe im Voraus.

• Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gbischoff wrote: »
    Could it be that the 480 GB doesn´t work with MBA 2010?

It sounds like you didn't install the OS on the drive before the upgrade. You need to boot from the drive you had in it originally and either clone the data over using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or install a new version of the OS onto the SSD.
  • Reply 4 of 5

Hey Guys,

thanks a lot for you help!

In collaboration with owc we came to the result, that the storage is damaged.

OWC has a very nice support, as much as i can evaluate it.

What we did: I created an journaled image with that i was able to start from external HDD, its neccassary to make sure the disk utility format in GUID. That works. Then we didn´t find the new storage in disk utility. We switched of the computer and boot it with clearing the PRAM storage (alt + strg + p + r) hold it till the second start sounds comes up. Again, we didn´t find the storage. We came to the conclusion that the storage is damaged.

If everybody agrees, we can close this Thread. (If the Thread is open till i get my new storage, i will write down the result here.)

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Peacefully

Gerhard Bischoff

• Reply 5 of 5

Ok, Thread is still open: My new storage has arrived.

Same procedure like above and now it works! - Storage was damaged.

Start from boot HDD and the storage was visible at Disk Utility. Format as journaled and copy an image of the HDD at the new storage - it works.

Thanks a lot!