Brand new 27" I-Mac Driver Incompatibilities

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2014

Just hooked up my new 27" Imac that I bought to replace my 24" from 2007. It's power supply died and I will be replacing the supply next week. Always nice to have more than one computer.

The new 27" dropped right into the old location and had no difficulty getting it set up.

But I do have a question and a problem.

The question is when the 24" is repaired how do I transfer all the bookmarks, I-tunes, and other files over.

The problem is that no available driver in the new 27" I-mac will support my old printer/scanner. It is a Canon Pixma MP960

I do not want to have to replace it for no reason. It works perfectly and I have lots of brand new real Canon ink.

I would have no problem with dumping the current operating system (OS-X 10.9.4) and re-installing one from 2010 or earlier.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    oldmodman wrote: »
    The question is when the 24" is repaired how do I transfer all the bookmarks, I-tunes, and other files over.

You can use Migration Assistant in your /Applications/Utilities folder. It helps if you haven't created an account on the 27" with the same name as the old one as it will try to move the old account over. You'd connect the two machine with a suitable cable as described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413
    oldmodman wrote: »
    The problem is that no available driver in the new 27" I-mac will support my old printer/scanner. It is a Canon Pixma MP960

Newer versions of the OS are supposed to find the right driver online as soon as you connect the printer. If that doesn't work, try installing the drivers for the latest version available. Downgrading the OS isn't always possible as they add hardware drivers to newer versions of the OS so the computer has minimum versions it can run properly. Canon will be able to tell you what your options are if the drivers don't install.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

The support link doesn't indicate unsupported status. It indicates that the driver is either included in the OS or unneeded, which is different.