Office for iPad update adds support for third-party fonts, ability to send as PDF

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Microsoft's Office for iPad suite, which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint, was given a significant update on Thursday, giving users the ability to utilize third-party fonts in Word, and the option to export files as PDFs in all three programs, among other new additions.

Both Word and Excel now have the ability to send their respective file types as PDFs. And Word now offers third-party fonts available from the Fonts menu.

Word 1.1 now also comes with Picture Tools, which let users crop to focus on a specific part of a photo. The feature also has a reset button to undo any changes.

Excel 1.1 adds Flick to Select, allowing users to flick a cell's selection handle in any direction to quickly and easily select all the data in a row or column.

As for PowerPoint 1.1, it gains a new Presenter View, which lets users view and edit speaker notes, see their next slide, or jump to other slides while presenting. A new Play Media function lets users play videos, sound effects and background music while presenting, and Insert Video gives the ability to insert videos from an iPad Camera Roll.

All three updates launched Thursday and are now available on the App Store. The software is free to download and allows users to view files, but any editing requires a subscription to Office 365 Home, which is available as an in-app purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Well, well... Apple can learn from them.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kirkckirkc Posts: 9member
    Saved me $2--Thanks. I was going to buy PDF Converter during today's promotion from Readdle (http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/31/briefly-readdle-slashes-up-to-70-off-ios-app-titles-in-honor-of-7th-birthday). Now I don't need it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Android has the ability to save pretty much anything as a PDF with Google Print, I'm surprised this isn't built into iOS as an alternative to printing.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    relic wrote: »
    Android has the ability to save pretty much anything as a PDF with Google Print, I'm surprised this isn't built into iOS as an alternative to printing.
    You don't become one of the most profitable companies on the planet by giving away functionality that can be sold for $2.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    droidftw wrote: »
    You don't become one of the most profitable companies on the planet by giving away functionality that can be sold for $2.

Who said anything about free, they could easily add this feature and merge it into the cost of the device. Apple's margins on most of their iOS devices are over 60 percent, $2 is not going to break the bank.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    droidftw wrote: »

I think it is high time Apple developed their own version of a portable document format and yes, once developed it should be built in to OS X and iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think it is high time Apple developed their own version of a portable document format and yes, once developed it should be built in to OS X and iOS.

You should have the sarcasm tag there since OSX's graphic engine essentially is build on PDF rendering. It is why OSX has been able to print yo PDF from any app since it's inception.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

My government already has scanned all their documents and saved them as .pdf. They're searchable, so I presume they also built a DB for it. Adobe has committed themselves to make .pdf at least 100 years available to anyone. Reader software will remain free. Looked for a link, can't find it as my search capabilities totally suck.
    tbell wrote: »
    You should have the sarcasm tag there since OSX's graphic engine essentially is build on PDF rendering. It is why OSX has been able to print yo PDF from any app since it's inception.

That's true. What we see on the screen is sort of a .pdf itself.
  • Reply 9 of 13

Well, in their defence, any Office document can be opened in an iWork application which can output to .pdf. And anything other on the screen can be captured and is saved in the camera roll. One can convert to .pdf on the desktop should you desire to do so.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member

All of the iWork modules have the ability to save or send documents as PDF and they are free with any new iPhone or iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tbell wrote: »

Actually is was more the lack of a wink, not /s, that was the mistake. I was meaning, in jest, a unique Apple format since iOS is so dominant in the real world. However, I fully understand .pdf is a universal standard now (as per Phil's post).
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ????
  • Reply 13 of 13
    In the context of corporate use: I hope Apple + IBM can update and reinforce iWork to create a 'pro Works' with IBM secure cloud networking and syncing and get rid of any dependence on Microsoft. If said product can open and translate anything from Microsoft, that's all that is required. IT and MIS need to be weaned of thinking Microsoft, this is 2014 and Microsoft has zero mobile presence, it is a relic of the 20th Century.