iOS holds 88% share of enterprise apps, iPad 90% of tablets in Good's business activations

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Enterprise mobile services vendor Good Technology detailed in its latest quarterly report that companies continue to overwhelmingly prefer Apple's mobile platform over Android or Windows Mobile alternatives. The firm also noted a jump in government adoption of iPads.

Good Enterprise OS 2014

Compared to the Good's previous quarterly report, iPhone continues to account for for 51 percent of activated devices (unchanged from the previous quarter), while iPad accounted for 90 percent of tablets (down 2 percentage points) activated by the more than 5,000 companies using Good's services in the second quarter, giving iOS a 67 percent share of all mobile devices.

Good Enterprise devices 2014

Android phones were up by four percentage points over the previous quarter to account for 30 percent of devices, and gained 2 percentage points in tablets, where all devices using Android combined account for 10 percent of enterprise tablet activations.

"Windows Phone activations remain consistent with the four previous quarters and made up one percent of total activations," the company stated.

Good Enterprise iPad 2014

Good also noted that "financial services, business and professional services, manufacturing and high tech all recorded a significant bump in activations quarter over quarter," and that "government and public sector recorded an increase of five percentage points in total iPad activations."

Good provides push messaging, device management and security products for corporate mobile users, serving as an alternative to BlackBerry Enterprise Server. As such, Good supports mobile platforms outside of BlackBerry's own, including Microsoft's Windows Mobile, iOS and Android.

Last fall, IBM acquired MaaS360, a Mobile Device Management platform that competes with MDM offerings from Good, BlackBerry and Microsoft.

Apple aims to change the enterprise with IBM Swift app partnership

Apple's iPad has already begun to disrupt how business is done, having the most significant impact on conventional PCs. New tablet apps are poised to accelerate that shift.

Apple IBM

Good cited a report by Forrester noting that "70% of enterprises see providing more mobile support to employees over the next 12 months as a high or critical priority," adding that "we see more spending shift to software for mobile applications and middleware as well as the necessary management solutions to provision and manage mobile applications. At the end of the day, we may talk about mobile devices, but in reality it's all about the apps."

While iOS continues to claim a dominant, 88 percent share of enterprise app activations as observed by Good, Apple has also initiated a partnership with IBM to build new apps designed specifically for business users, leveraging its new Swift programming language.

In Apple's last earnings conference call, its chief executive Tim Cook stated, "we've forged a relationship with IBM to deliver a new class of mobile business solutions to enterprise customers around the world. We're working together to provide companies access to the power of big data analytics right on every employee's iPhone or iPad.

"Using Swift, we will collaborate to bring over 100 MobileFirst apps to enterprise clients, each addressing a specific industry need or opportunity. This is a radical step for enterprise. It opens a large market opportunity for Apple," Cook emphasized. "But more importantly, it's great for productivity and creativity of our enterprise customers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

The huge aerospace company I work for refuses to accept Apple products. We have Good on android as an option but primarily is still clutching to BooBerry (IMO hopelessly). However, the android I use for work is locked down so much, its almost useless for anything but a phone call and using email through Good. So, not sure it matters that much... at least in my instance.

• Reply 2 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

The huge aerospace company I work for refuses to accept Apple products. We have Good on android as an option but primarily is still clutching to BooBerry (IMO hopelessly). However, the android I use for work is locked down so much, its almost useless for anything but a phone call and using email through Good. So, not sure it matters that much... at least in my instance.

ONE company...sure.

• Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

ONE company...sure.

What do you mean by this?  He's saying having access to Android at his company would be worthless in his case because it's so locked down it would be basically useless and Apple isn't available.  How many companies do you expect any one person to be able to give first hand experience on?  

• Reply 4 of 18
    But but but iOS devices are just toys?!?

/s
  • Reply 5 of 18
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Not sure why DED thinks this is good news for apple.  He reports it every quarter and the trend show ios losing ground.

"Total Android device activations increased five percentage points from Q1 to Q2, and came in at 32 percent of total activations this quarter. 

Total iOS activations decreased the same number of percentage points and made up 67 percent of total device activations in Q2."

• Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Not sure why DED thinks this is good news for apple.  He reports it every quarter and the trend show ios losing ground.

"Total Android device activations increased five percentage points from Q1 to Q2, and came in at 32 percent of total activations this quarter. 

Total iOS activations decreased the same number of percentage points and made up 67 percent of total device activations in Q2."

I think the key number is the 88% apps / 90% iPad penetration in corporations.

While activations are important, from an ecosystem point of view corporations are more about the apps.   Corp apps are more expensive, and have longer lock in than phones (or apps drive phone lock in... Blackberry was pretty much a lock because of the direct integration into messaging and calendaring, and then you taught your thumbs how to dance...;-)

No matter how you slice it, the numbers will eventually trend to 30% Apple in phones, Android et al, 55-60%, 10-15% 'the masses')

because it will be BYOD.

Tablets will be a bigger deal long term.   my guess is Apple will erode to a 60% share, and Android and Windows Pro will split the remaining 40, and that will be when most laptops are retired (only IT and Quants will have laptops... the mobile workforce will be tabletized).

Tablets will drive a lot more App revenue, and depending on if Apple can maintain/extend it's development environment with Swift and other tools, this will be a critical lock in... as much or more than say MS-Office is/was.

• Reply 7 of 18
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Quote:

I think the speed with which Android is "fighting back" against iOS (not very fast) is worth noting. I don't think anyone really expects Apple's share to do anything but decline from such a high percentage. Eventually Android will get its act together with Knox etc. Bottom line, Apple is still in a very good position, particularly with tablets. Once a decision is made, big companies hate changing again for years.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you think its good news for the Rest Of The World outside Apple that after 5 years, Everyone Else amounts to just 10 percent of Good's tablet activations. And that's two quarters after Apple last introduced a new batch of iPads.

As Android drills downmarket to gain "share" in the <$300 phone market, it increasingly becomes less relevant to businesses who want to make use of the best technology and mobile development platform. Slight fluctuations in minority market share are hardly a trend toward Android world domination as incessantly predicted by the tech media 2009-2013. Samsung is crashing, being eaten up by small, cheap Chinese makers. 

Do you think anyone--and in particular business and government--is going to be satisfied with bargain basement phones aiming at developing nations? This does not appear likely. Android is clearly not Windows, despite six years of trying in phones and five years of complete failure in tablets. Android is not the platform developers are seeking to target first, not even among consumers and clearly not in the enterprise. 

• Reply 9 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Do you think anyone--and in particular business and government--is going to be satisfied with bargain basement phones aiming at developing nations?

Actually yes. I know for a fact that Verizon has been handing out Android phones and tablets to all of its employees.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Actually yes. I know for a fact that Verizon has been handing out Android phones and tablets to all of its employees.

And how is that working out? Dell gave massive numbers of Windows Phones to its employees. Dogfood didn't help.

• Reply 11 of 18
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I'm not sure why you think its good news for the Rest Of The World outside Apple that after 5 years, Everyone Else amounts to just 10 percent of Good's tablet activations. And that's two quarters after Apple last introduced a new batch of iPads.

As Android drills downmarket to gain "share" in the <$300 phone market, it increasingly becomes less relevant to businesses who want to make use of the best technology and mobile development platform. Slight fluctuations in minority market share are hardly a trend toward Android world domination as incessantly predicted by the tech media 2009-2013. Samsung is crashing, being eaten up by small, cheap Chinese makers. 

Do you think anyone--and in particular business and government--is going to be satisfied with bargain basement phones aiming at developing nations? This does not appear likely. Android is clearly not Windows, despite six years of trying in phones and five years of complete failure in tablets. Android is not the platform developers are seeking to target first, not even among consumers and clearly not in the enterprise. 

Should the same rules and defenses apply to comparisons of Mac market share?  Apple fans think Microsoft and PC makers should be panicking over Apple's increasing Mac market share which is still about 11 or 12 percent, but these same fans think nobody should be worried about this reported 30 percent share for Android?

• Reply 12 of 18
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

But but but iOS devices are just toys?!?

/s

If companies which are more interested in locking down employees, tracking employee data and invading user privacy can do it better by using Android devices, which phone would they choose to purchase companywide?

• Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Should the same rules apply to comparisons of Mac market share?

If Apple's Mac market share was exclusively coming from cheap, low profit devices that sold for 1/3 the ASPs of Windows PCs, it would be pretty bleak to say that Apple could only manage to maintain a tiny minority of overall market share.

But as you are well aware, market share means very little compared to profit share (or heck, profit of any kind) and platform clout. Google makes very little of its money from mobile, and all those Android licensees are barely breaking even, outside of Samsung that is seeing its profits collapse from 25% to 15%, even as Apple has maintained 35-40% margins on its mobile products. That's why Apple ships 1/2 the inventory as Samsung but makes +2x the money. Android is losing. 

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

"Android device activations jumped significantly quarter over quarter, increasing five percentage points to 32 percent of total activations, while iOS activations decreased that same amount and recorded 67 percent of total activations"

just like every single mobile metric, little by little Android just keeps chipping away.

• Reply 15 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And how is that working out? Dell gave massive numbers of Windows Phones to its employees. Dogfood didn't help.

You'll be the first I tell when it all goes to shit. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    [SIZE=4]Article is in error: iPhones represent 62%, not 51%, of activated smartphones[/SIZE]

According to the second chart, iPhone doesn't account for 51% of activated smartphones, but rather 62%. Look closely at the chart. It mixes iOS phones (51%), Android phones (30%), and Windows phones (1%) with iOS tablets (15%) and Android tablets (3%), totaling 100% of activated mobile devices. But looking at just smartphones, iPhones represent 51 points of the 82 points dedicated to smartphones of all types. So that means while iPhones represent 51% of all activated mobile devices, iPhones actually represent 62% of activated smartphones (51 / 82 = .62). That's a significant difference than what the article states.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Article is in error: iPhones represent 62%, not 51%, of activated smartphones

According to the second chart, iPhone doesn't account for 51% of activated smartphones, but rather 62%. Look closely at the chart. It mixes iOS phones (51%), Android phones (30%), and Windows phones (1%) with iOS tablets (15%) and Android tablets (3%), totaling 100% of activated mobile devices. But looking at just smartphones, iPhones represent 51 points of the 82 points dedicated to smartphones of all types. So that means while iPhones represent 51% of all activated mobile devices, iPhones actually represent 62% of activated smartphones (51 / 82 = .62). That's a significant difference than what the article states.

Yes you are correct: it should be 51% of all Good activations (of all devices), not 51% of just smartphones. 

• Reply 18 of 18
    Tablets will be a bigger deal long term.   my guess is Apple will erode to a 60% share, and Android and Windows Pro will split the remaining 40, and that will be when most laptops are retired (only IT and Quants will have laptops... the mobile workforce will be tabletized).
    Tablets will drive a lot more App revenue, and depending on if Apple can maintain/extend it's development environment with Swift and other tools, this will be a critical lock in... as much or more than say MS-Office is/was.

Yours is a prescient analysis of where tablets are going.

I suspect that we'll soon see iPads targeted directly at enterprise and professionals. Likely, they will exploit Apple's 64-bit advantage and include more RAM and SSD storage ... They will be a new category, iPad Pros -- They won't be just an evolution of the iPad Air and iPad Mini. I suspect that IBM is already working with prototypes of these devices (and providing design requirements/feedback to Apple).

I believe that Swift and the XCode IDE are integral to the tabletization you describe -- and they will allow IT (and IBM) to exploit the Pro tablet devices to implement a class of applications that is not possible on current mobile (tablets and laptops) and even some desktop devices.

That should give Apple a two-year head-start in enterprise.

During that two-year period, Swift will stabilize, evolve and mature into the development platform of choice for mobile.

There will come a tipping point where Apple will opt to sell more mobile hardware and services -- as opposed to exploiting the Swift/XCode exclusivity to sell more Macs. Swift/Xcode will be made available to run as a service and/or installed environment on other platforms.

When that happens ( I give it 18 months) -- it will be game over for the next 5-6 years.