Transferring Apps and All Data from iPhone 4 to new iPhone 6

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2015

Hello all. This one has me stumped and I could use some help.

A friend of mine who is almost 90 years old lost her husband 2 years ago and inherited his iPhone 4. The phone and the Apple ID was her husband's. She does not have his password so she can't even update the apps on her iPhone 4. She's been taking photos and keeping them on the iPhone 4. She has never used iTunes to back up or store any of her apps and data nor, of course, can she use iCloud, again due to her late husband's account not being accessible by her and, I suspect, because iCloud wasn't around when her husband first bought the iPhone 4.

She is eager to get "her own" iPhone 6 when it is available. This will, of course, solve many problems since she'll have her own, new account and password. She can certainly download any free apps she currently has on the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 6 but I just know she is going to want her photos and other data transferred to the new iPhone 6. 

Should I simply have her make an appointment with the Genius bar to have them assist her with these issues or is there a simply way for me to help her out? Would it make sense for me to set her up on her PC with iTunes, back up everything from her iPhone 4, and then transfer the backup to her new iPhone 6 or will that get sticky? (Perhaps, again, iTunes would require her husband's missing Apple ID and Password.)

Thanks for your input!

SNazz123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    snazz123 wrote: »
    Should I simply have her make an appointment with the Genius bar to have them assist her with these issues or is there a simply way for me to help her out? Would it make sense for me to set her up on her PC with iTunes, back up everything from her iPhone 4, and then transfer the backup to her new iPhone 6 or will that get sticky? (Perhaps, again, iTunes would require her husband's missing Apple ID and Password.)

If the phone has never been synced to a computer before, it should just sync up ok on a computer but it will warn if it won't do that. If it has been synced to a computer before, it will try to wipe it if synced to a new one but it'll tell you before it does it. There's a guide here on what to do in the latter situation:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141

I don't like Apple's way of wiping devices. I don't see why they can't allow devices to sync to multiple machines. They said at one point they were treating iOS devices on the same level as Macs but imagine if you plugged a Mac into something and it said it was going to wipe it. Slave devices get wiped, not master devices and iOS devices should be treated as master devices at all times. Wiping should always be optional and the worst case scenario.

You can also backup photos via an app called Image Capture on the Mac. You can plug in the phone and all the photos will show up in there. Only iTunes will backup the apps and data though because they are tied to the user account. If she has access to his email (maybe on the phone), she can reset his iTunes password.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    A Genius Bar visit for the both of you is always a great idea. Visit Apple.com/retail and find the nearest store. They can help you both have a better understanding of how the phone works.
    --If she goes to iforgot.apple.com she can try to answer his security questions to reset the password. -- or call 1800 APL-CARE and if you let them know it's your deceased husband maybe apple will reset the password for you. Or if you need to check his email, contact the email provider and let them know she is the widow maybe they'll unlock it, then she can use said email to reset the apple ID
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Log out of the Apple ID under Settings> iTunes and App Store. And create a new Apple ID and sign in. Then delete all his apps and download them under the new Apple ID. Then she can update them.
  • Reply 4 of 11

Thank you Marvin and Wynter for your fine suggestions! 

I'm pretty sure her husband did use iTunes with his computer but now that computer is gone. I believe she has a iPhone 4. She's extremely hard of hearing but, perhaps (if we do it this way), I could call Apple with her by my side for a reset, etc. The iforgotapple.com for a security question could be just the ticket though! However, if your suggestion Wynter if from the iPhone "Log out of the Apple ID under Settings>iTunes and App Store" that might work too. If that is from the phone that might be the way to go!

Thanks for the help!

SNazz123

• Reply 5 of 11

This is good advise on the syncing of the photos  per the Mac - simplifies the whole process.

• Reply 6 of 11
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member

I would personally just keep it really simple and use a third party app to solve the problem. I'm not sure if it's still around, but I used to use an app called Touch Copy to basically manipulate the data and move files around really seamlessly. 

This won't help with everything (like where she needs to sign in as the old Apple ID to authorise a particular song or something), but it should resolve most of the issues.

• Reply 7 of 11

A belated thanks to matrix12 (she doesn't have a Mac nor does she use iTunes on her PC) and Ingsoc. Perhaps it would be best to work with Apple to get her Apple ID and all changed.

Thanks everyone,

SNazz123

• Reply 8 of 11

well, as what you said, you can try using the iphone data transfer tool to sync your iPhone data with a ease.

• Reply 9 of 11

One Click to Transfer Content from Phone to Phone

Phone Data Transfer is the professional data transfer software, which empowers you to directly sync data from one phone to another. No matter you use Android, iOS, BlackBerry or Symbian OS, you can transfer the phone file and data into the destination phone. Contacts, Messages, Photos, Call logs, Music, Videos and Apps can easily be copied.

Key Features:

-> Transfer content between iDevices, Android, Symbian and BlackBerry

-> Transfer phone data to PC for backup

-> Restore previous backup to supported phones or devices

-> Permanent erase all data or the deleted data on iOS or Android devices

You can read the detail tutorial from: 

How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone 6

• Reply 10 of 11

Do you mind using any third-party program? You can search phone to phone transfer tool.