Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Since I'll be getting the Air 2, this rumor sounds good to me!

The more power and more ram, the better!

I couldn't care less how much RAM the new iPad has. I trust Apple to create the best experience possible.

• Reply 62 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I still haven't heard a solid solution as to how they would implement that securely without requiring installing apps for each user account or how they would use a single app installation per device that would infuse the proper user files as needed, or how they will prevent a major power and performance hit for keeping accounts and apps running on other users, like with OS X and Windows.

It is pretty obvious that the designers of iPad saw it as a personal device not a shared device. As such there is no clean way to multi users at this point in time.

Quote:

2) Perhaps the new Family Sharing plan is a step in that direction. Perhaps the longterm goal is to allow a single account with multiple users to use a single device interchangeably. If there is anything that I see that could lead to that solution I think that is it.

Frankly all the people whining about multiple users can dive head first into a frozen lake for all I care. The device simply was never designed for multiple users nor should it be upgraded to support multiple users.

Quote:

3) Even if you have Touch ID you would still need to have a username or avatar for each account because it's possible that there could be a duplicate for either the fingerprint or passcode used to secure the device.

The use of Touch ID just further highlights that these are devices designed for personal use.

Well said.

• Reply 63 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its not just about cost of making the Mini.

Its about making it weaker so more people choose the higher margin Air

That's probably the most incorrect thing you possibly come up with....considering the last iteration of both iPads brought total feature/spec parity to the lineup, from the chip to the display to the battery. They are the same machine, except one has a slightly bigger screen and slightly higher clock speed (merely because the larger battery allows for it).

There are more differences than that - they have different quality screens, for a start.

• Reply 64 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And Safari.

Yes, exactly, Safari, I've lost so many long posts in forums because I needed to answer a text in Viber or Skype, only to come back and Safari had refreshed the page. AppleInsider thankfully saw this shortcoming and saves your work. Other sites aren't so considered. I now use Office to draft my posts when using my iPad. I mostly use my Nokia 2520 to surf as I prefer a desktop browser to mobile.

With iOS 8, I think you'll be able to answer texts within notifications, so you'll never need to leave Safari.

• Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Yes, exactly, Safari, I've lost so many long posts in forums because I needed to answer a text in Viber or Skype, only to come back and Safari had refreshed the page. AppleInsider thankfully saw this shortcoming and saves your work. Other sites aren't so considered. I now use Office to draft my posts when using my iPad. I mostly use my Nokia 2520 to surf as I prefer a desktop browser to mobile.

I wonder if Tim Cook runs into this experience since he does 80% of his work on an iPad.

I imagine he would use iMessage and FaceTime, which would work better with Safari than Skype or Viber.

• Reply 66 of 108
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oberst-Gruppenführer, bitte.

Sie oder mich, stimme ich mit Ihnen.

Wilkommen to AI, Fraulein Relic! My German's a little rusty.

• Reply 67 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post

2gigs of ram would definitely help apps like Photoshop Touch and Procreate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDO2000 View Post

2gigs of ram would definitely help apps like Photoshop Touch and Procreate.

While I personally haven't had a problem, The iPad is doing a lot more than I ever thought it could do. This is due to the imagination of the app writers/designers and the almost limitless ability of the iPad to rise to the occasion. However, I too think 2 Gb RAM would be nice to see. This will be especially important if Apple makes the iPad Air multi-tasking with a split screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What would be nice - if Touch ID is introduced along with seamless multi-user experience on iPad - personalized folders, mail boxes, preferences, etc.

Not sure if Apple is going to do that ever as they would prefer each family member to own a separate iPad.

I don't think the iPad will be usable by multiple people any time in the near future. It's just not the way the product was intended. Think of it like a toothbrush... really a one-person tool. What you seem to be describing is an MBA laptop... go for it, the OS is ready to go for multiusers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Sounds wrong. They made a point of unifying the platform with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. Why would they split it again?

It's all designed to instill in you a desire to trade up to the latest iPad/iPhone/Mac. It's more then just that you'll want the latest model, but you'll have good talking points to wheedle your spouse into agreeing that you need it, you really do. Additionally, there is no "splitting" the platform. There's nothing going to be wrong about the older iPads and what not, They will continue to run just fine and can be upgraded to the next iOS. But, sooner or later, like the first model and the iPad 2, it just won't cut it for responsiveness or certain memory heavy apps.

Remember, some people don't ask much out of their iPad in the form of performance, so it's the super-users that will find only the latest and greatest is what they need... or they'll just DIE!

Well put, Macky.

• Reply 68 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I couldn't care less how much RAM the new iPad has. I trust Apple to create the best experience possible.
    Then that means the new iPads will have more RAM. When I go into the diagnostics & usage log on my Air I see a ton of LowMemory crash reports.
  • Reply 69 of 108

The Safari tab refresh thing drives me up a tree. I'd upgrade to a new iPad if they just solved that.

• Reply 70 of 108
    scampercom wrote: »
    The Safari tab refresh thing drives me up a tree. I'd upgrade to a new iPad if they just solved that.

Good to hear!
  • Reply 71 of 108
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I got the sense that Apple will allow a split screen multi-tasking in the iOS8, if so, that alone should call for more RAM. Especially since RAM is about $11 per Gb.

What I never heard discussed is whether Apple essentially doubled all the RAM when they went to 64-bit architecture. (16Gb of 32 bit words = 8 Gb of 64 bit words.)

I would not be surprised if the Ram was doubled to 2GB.   I think its been at 1GB since the 3rd generation.

Split screen and multi-user support would be useful for both consumer and business users.    I think they will come but have no idea if they will come in IOS 8 or in IOS9.    In the short term I think Apple will continue to enhance their Continuity functionality between IOS and OSX.   Apple is very good about releasing hardware that will be future software is able to utilize.   As an example I believe that the iPad Air 2 will get TouchID this year  and then next year different users will be able to log in/switch using the touchID.      

• Reply 72 of 108
    Hmm. Sounds wrong. They made a point of unifying the platform with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. Why would they split it again?
    I think it rumor of a difference between any of iPads/iPhones is wrong.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Well, the Mini Retina is cheaper, and I always found it strange that it was equally as powerful as the Air. In my opinion, the larger model should always be a little better and a bit more powerful.
    Not really, some prefer each form factor, it's called choice.

I’m all for gimping an unusable tablet, but I’m more for unification of a platform. It makes a ton of sense to be able to have the confidence to go into a store, buy from a tablet lineup, and know that the software you want WILL work on that model. Also, the iPad mini is already gimped. Hi-yo!
    I don't see point of diversity of tablets, I though apple advertises they don't short there smaller tablet like rest of market?
    sog35 wrote: »
    nope.

Its about maximizing profits.

Makes no sense you get the same powered tablet but smaller.
    Usually that means it should cost MORE.

If they weaken the Mini more will choose the Air which has higher margins, revenue, and profit.
    How's that a problem, it's $100(20%) difference, there probably very simular profit. Plus apple does not cheap off on Mac book airs at there $100 difference, but they do with Mac pros with a $700 difference which is a much larger 40% difference. They should not on iPhone as well with it supposed $100 difference.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Especially now with the larger iphones coming.

IMO, Apple wants to cannabalize the iPadMini to death.  At $399 they make hardly nothing.  Mini's should really be a niche product and weakening it will help in that regard.  It will the 5C of tablets.   In fact they should replace the Mini's case with plastic to increase margins.

They rather have people pay $500 for the Air or $700 for a large subsidized phone.
    I doubt any this true
  • Reply 73 of 108
    Quote:

I agree. If the models are equally as powerful, then Apple should raise the price of the Mini.

It doesn't make sense to offer an Air for $500, when an equally as powerful Mini is $100 cheaper.

Hell, they could even be the same price, if you ask me.

Quote:

Well, the Mini Retina is cheaper, and I always found it strange that it was equally as powerful as the Air. In my opinion, the larger model should always be a little better and a bit more powerful.

Quote:

Since I'll be getting the Air 2, this rumor sounds good to me!

The more power and more ram, the better!

I'm not exactly sure of what you are getting at here... are you actually arguing for Apple to *raise* their prices on a product?  Where is the written rule that larger must also be more powerful?  There are people who value both power and size and would prefer not to have to get a bigger machine just to get the same performance/storage options.

The mini already has some disadvantages that merit it's lower price -- the screen quality is not as good as the Air or even the 3rd/4th gen iPads, the clock speed is slightly lower and for some applications, the smaller screen makes it less useful (though the majority of apps that I use are just fine on the mini).

Apple has similar pricing for the MacBook Air as well.  The 11" and 13" are also $100 different in price and can be configured in the exact same ways.  Are you also arguing for Apple to either gimp the 11" model or raise it's price to be closer to the 13"?

• Reply 74 of 108
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    stuffe wrote: »

+1, the only downside is what must be a practically immeasurable increase in CPU size, plus an increase in power requirements to actually use it. The former must be a non issue, the latter may be a consideration but probably not one that causes genuine problems with the battery size anticipated in the newer phones.

It all depends upon the technology they implement. This is the thing that made iPad possible and has allowed improvements every year. Moored law is still a reality and will be for at least a couple of more years. They could have went to 2GB last year if they really wanted too.
  • Reply 75 of 108

Sie oder mich, stimme ich mit Ihnen.

You know, I’d say me, because the design of the uniforms are incredibly classy… I just can’t get over the pants. If I can wear pants that aren’t, well… THIS

then sure.

In both a literal and figurative sense, Keiner weiss wo dem Andern der Schuh drückt. Not that there would be pinching in those pants, per say…

• Reply 76 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My iPad 3 has 1 GB of RAM. I trust Apple's decisions up to a certain point, but I also trust my own experiences of course, and I do know that I would like more than 1 GB of RAM, since I have been using an iPad with 1 GB of RAM for quite some time now.

• Reply 77 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyDude 

I'm not exactly sure of what you are getting at here... are you actually arguing for Apple to *raise* their prices on a product? 

I've argued numerous times in the past that Apple should raise their prices on certain products, so this wouldn't be the first time that I am making that argument.

As opposed to Android people, I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of person.

• Reply 78 of 108
    Quote:

I've argued numerous times in the past that Apple should raise their prices on certain products, so this wouldn't be the first time that I am making that argument.

As opposed to Android people, I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of person.

I'm not against paying more for a better product, but that doesn't sound at all what you are advocating.  If Apple simply charged more for the mini without any changes to it, it would be just raising the price for no purpose other than profit.  Unless you are an investor in Apple or work at Apple (which probably would put you in the first category), I can't see why anyone would entertain that line of thought.

Quality over quantity is fine -- increased profits for the sake of increased profits is not.

• Reply 79 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

Unless you are an investor in Apple or work at Apple (which probably would put you in the first category), I can't see why anyone would entertain that line of thought.

Quality over quantity is fine -- increased profits for the sake of increased profits is not.

Bingo. Like many other people on this forum, I'm not just a fan of Apple products, but I'm also an investor in Apple from time to time.

I want Apple to release killer products, so that I can personally enjoy them and use them, but I also want Apple as a company to make a killing, because that is also in my best interest.

• Reply 80 of 108
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Oberst-Gruppenführer, bitte.

Eigentlich, zur Zeit hab' Ich kein Kommentar ... |^_^|