Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
In a short commercial posted Friday, South Korean electronics giant Samsung subjected its water-resistant Galaxy S5 smartphone to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which the handset's S-Voice personal digital assistant called "freezing" before nominating Apple's iPhone 5s and other competitors to do the same.

The short, 15-second spot is voiced entirely by the Galaxy's British S-Voice variant. "I am the Samsung Galaxy S5, this is my ice bucket challenge," it intones. "Gosh that's freezing."

Samsung has repeatedly touted the handset's waterproof housing when comparing it against Apple's iPhone. Apple has repeatedly been rumored to have a new waterproof option in the works, but it has yet to materialize in a shipping device.

As is the custom for the ice bucket challenge, Samsung will also make a donation to the British Motor Neurone Disease Association charity. One executive at Samsung UK's advertising agency, Cheil UK, told AdAge that it was the "perfect opportunity for the brand to do something that was meaningful but also unexpected."

The ice bucket challenge has swept Silicon Valley recently, with a number of Apple executives taking part. Marketing czar Phil Schiller was first to take the dousing, challenging -- among others -- CEO Tim Cook.

Cook was drenched in the amphitheatre at the center of Apple headquarters in Cupertino. He nominated recent Apple addition Dr. Dre, who was soaked last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

It'll be interesting to find out the outcome.  I thought we're in a drought in CA.  I guess not.  Water/Ice all around...

• Reply 2 of 163
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Maybe Samsung should waterproof their washing machines first, I hear they flooding homes and doing nothing about it.
  • Reply 3 of 163
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    That's cute.
  • Reply 4 of 163
    sog35 wrote: »
    When was the last time Samsung donated to charity?

This is really low class.  If they want to donate to a good cause do it.  Dont use it as a vehicle to bash competitors. 

Shows how little Samsung understands PR

My thoughts exactly!

The sad fact is the ad is just another publicity stunt instead of a true donation to the cause.

The funny thing is not many people are going to buy a Samsung galaxy S5 due to this commercial since they are waiting for the release of the upcoming iPhone. ????
  • Reply 5 of 163
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member

The whole thing just leaves me cold.

• Reply 6 of 163
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Keeping it classy, Samsung
  • Reply 7 of 163
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    sog35 wrote: »

This is really low class.  If they want to donate to a good cause do it.  Dont use it as a vehicle to bash competitors. 

Shows how little Samsung understands PR

They actually did donate to the UK version of the ALS org. But it doesn't matter. They are trying to market off a terrible disease.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I actually think it's quite funny.

Hope they did make a donation as well though, for piggybacking on the cause.

• Reply 9 of 163
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Why don't you just Google it?

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/life-at-samsung/corporate-responsibility.asp

• Reply 10 of 163
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Well, Samsung asked and was answered.. lol Siri was a little chilled but otherwise untouched. :D

• Reply 11 of 163

Jesus that's in bad taste.

• Reply 12 of 163
    I didn't realize the digital voice on Samsung was so horrible, very sad really.
  • Reply 13 of 163
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Samsung. Bringing water to my i's.
  • Reply 14 of 163

Wow. Just WOW. The ice bucket challenge is supposed to be about charity, not just some other opportunity for a cutthroat company to capitalize on. I can't express how tasteless this is on Samsung's part, let alone how blatantly obsessed they are with all things Apple (including public appearances by their executive team). 

• Reply 15 of 163

Stupid and pathetic, but otherwise par for the course for Scamscum.

• Reply 16 of 163
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    I was thinking that it was pretty sly. But after reading you guys comments I got to say it
    is a bit tasteless. Shows how low Samsung is willing to sink in order to one up Apple. Turn this cause into a way to poke at competitors. Waiting for you to blow them out the water again Apple in September. No waterproofing necessary.
  • Reply 17 of 163
    If it had some type involved that at least brought awareness to the cause it would have been better. As it is, it's just shameful.
  • Reply 18 of 163
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

No waterproofing necessary.

But preferred.

• Reply 19 of 163
    I think it's a clever spot and a worthy charity. Nothing wrong with a little good natured competition. Hopefully Apple can think of a clever way to respond.
  • Reply 20 of 163
    The voice is just so awful...