Photos purport to show 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' twice the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 wrote: »
    answer the question:

Are 5+ inch phones a legit market?
    Yes or No.

You said Apple would be idiotic entering the phablet market.
    Have you changed your opinion?

I don't know what he's thinking, but while I'm not inclined to buy a 5.5" model (I'd really need to see, and hold it first), in Asia, phablets are extremely popular. This is particularly true in China, and Apple is well aware of that. So even if this models sells ok here, it may sell very well there.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    cnocbui wrote: »

Right. When the 5S came out it was pretty good as far as battery life went, thought there were better models. As I said, there is more to battery life than LTE browsing, such as WiFi browsing, running apps, playing games, etc.

And as those charts show, when I said that Samsung doubled battery life going from the 4 to the 5, I was correct there as well
  • Reply 43 of 70
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Accepted or not Tallest Ski lost. 

Lost what?  You can't lose a race you never enter

We need as many good poster here as possible.

So you're here for....

• Reply 44 of 70

He entered the race with his none stop rant that:

You have an interesting definition of “my opinions are not fact”.

#1 Apple would never made a phablet because only idiots use phablets. #2 No one buys phablets.

That the 100,000,000 Samsung said they sold is a lie.

Given that this has already been disproven…

…calls anyone who buys them or uses them idiots…

Again, wizardofoz.gif

…wrong about the marketablility and profitability of phablets.

Well, they’re not marketable and they’re not profitable. And I believe they’re neither marketable nor profitable. So… where was I wrong?

• Reply 45 of 70
    So now you are comparing the iPhone to the Galaxy S5 that came out a full 6 months latter?
    Ridiculous.

iPhone 5S set the bar when it came out.  It was anything but average.

Exactly! Six months isn't all that long. And what matters is not what we see when a device first comes out, but what happens over the lifetime of that device. For another couple of weeks, until the phone is actually out, it's the current model, measured against all other current models. The same thing was true a month ago when this test was made, and a month or so before that, etc.

If you only consider what we see that first day, then you are missing much of it. And the S5 is just one phone. Look at those charts. We're talking about a number of phones. I pointed out that Samsung had doubled battery life between the last phone and the current one. That's true no matter what. Are you saying that we should wait another week because you're certain that Apple will also double battery life for the iPhone 6? Sure, we can hold this thread open until the 9th, and continue it when Apple gives the numbers out.

I'm sure we both agree that Apple could also double battery life if they wanted to.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    You do realize the Galaxy S5 is a MUCH larger phone with a MUCH larger battery?

This is like expecting a 100 pound man to deadlift just as much as a 400 pound man.

That's nonsense! When Apple was the leader in battery life, and these bigger phones started to come out, they had poorer battery life. The excuse then was that battery life was poorer BECAUSE they were bigger, and sucked much more battery life. So now, because some are getting better battery life, it's BECAUSE they are bigger? Really?

The S series went from 5 hours plus to 10 hours plus. How much bigger is the screen? It's not THAT much bigger. They just decided to put a thicker battery in.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    2,915 is "nearly" 2880?
    1440 is iPhone 5, were talking iPhone 5S 1560
    paul94544 wrote: »
    If the battery size doubles , won't the battery life be a lot more something like at lest 1.5 x? yes the display is larger so it will gobble up power, but all things being equal this will take the overall battery life up from current 8-10 to over 12 to 15 hours I would guess based on a simplistic calculation, more than enough! This does not include any allowance for battery power saving optimization with new OS either.

current iPhone 5 Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
    There problems with that ideal, it's a 90% increase in battery with double the screen, I imagine screen more efficent per size but even then it'd be a 20% increase in life, not 50%.
    seankill wrote: »
    I imagine it would add several hours to the talk time, why do you believe the battery increase will not increase battery life? During a phone call, the screen is off, thus the extra battery will power the chips MUCH longer. Also, the chips are more efficient, thus, even better battery life.

Am I the only one thinking IGZO? Much like the iPad Air?? The screen size increase should easily be offset by the IGZO technology. The screen will be thinner and use anywhere from 30 to 50 percent less power. Thus, I feel like the screen increase is a push in terms of battery life. 35% increase coupled with more efficient chips and OS. I see about a 35-40% bump in screen time and a 50% bump in talk time.

Am I alone on this or missing something?

See with the iPad, you got IGZO and a smaller battery = thinner iPad with same battery life. 
    iPhone 6 = IGZO, bigger screen, bigger battery.   Likely a good bump in battery life.  I would be surprised if anything less than 30% over the 5S. 

Am I missing something?
    I predict apple will go the IPad route with this where the 4.7 model will drain same life 4.0 does, and 5.5 do same as a normal 4.7 would, thus 50% increases in life are achievable.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Same battery life will do.  When was the last time iPhones decreased in battery life?

When they went from the 4S to the 5.

Quote:

And as you know one of the main issues with iPhone 4S was the poor battery life which was pointed out by many weblogs as well.

However, According to Apple, they have specially improved the battery life of iPhone 5, the fruit company also provided the data which showed that iPhone 5 has improved battery life as compare to iPhone 4 and 4S. But .....

Actually, it turned out opposite. iPhone 5 has poor battery life as compared to iPhone 4S. iLounge has posted head to head complete comparison of iPhone 4S and 5 battery life and results were utterly opposite. And iPhone 5 can’t withstand a complete day after charging, So, you should keep charging cable with you. And if you travel too much, you will probably need extra battery cases or chargers. Here’s a complete detailed result by iLounge:

• Reply 49 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    [Some bullshit quote'

Bullshit!
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Bullshit!

Phone Arena: "We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage."

4S - 5h 4 min (Average)

5 - 4h 22 min (Poor)

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks

• Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This battery size, and the smaller one for the 4.7" model, seems to be just enough to maintain the 8 hour LTE talk time. While that's enough most of the time, there are times when I've wished I've had an extra two hours.

There was a time when iPhones had the best battery life of all normal smartphones. I mean that without including one or two models that have been heavy and bulky because of enormous batteries.

But now, iPhones are atuck right about in the middle of the field, lagging even behind mid range phones. I really don't see why that has to be. With batteries being so thin, even one thin mm thicker could add 25% more life between charges. I strongly believe that most people would trade that 25,4th of an inch thickness for an additional 25% battery life.

Truthfully, phones are thin enough.

Happily, Sir Jony Ive isn't most people.

• Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This battery size, and the smaller one for the 4.7" model, seems to be just enough to maintain the 8 hour LTE talk time. While that's enough most of the time, there are times when I've wished I've had an extra two hours.

There was a time when iPhones had the best battery life of all normal smartphones. I mean that without including one or two models that have been heavy and bulky because of enormous batteries.

But now, iPhones are atuck right about in the middle of the field, lagging even behind mid range phones. I really don't see why that has to be. With batteries being so thin, even one thin mm thicker could add 25% more life between charges. I strongly believe that most people would trade that 25,4th of an inch thickness for an additional 25% battery life.

Truthfully, phones are thin enough.

I agree they are thin enough. I put a Mophie Space Pack on my 5S and after about a day it feels too small and fragile to use without it. I think a middle ground with a phone about the thickness (or slightly less) of the old 4/4s and wider screen would be a perfect form factor. 

No way. Miles too thick. The iPhone needs to get considerably thinner. Happily, it may do so come the 9th.

If we're very lucky, the iPad will, too.

• Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No way. Miles too thick. The iPhone needs to get considerably thinner. Happily, it may do so come the 9th.

Looks quite thin:

• Reply 54 of 70
    It's hard to compare battery life because different people do different things and different phones make different tradeoffs. The big Android phones have huge displays, inefficient processors, and a very wasteful OS running as a Virtual Machine. They also have big batteries. The backlight draws the same power all the time. The display draws approximately none when it's not changing, more the quicker each pixel changes. If you watch a lot of full-motion video, that's quite a draw. Web browsing, not so much. Reading, even less. Talking on the phone (did we all forget that as a possibility)? Enormous variation depending on the type of service, location, carrier, etc. Apps? Varies enormously.

I don't know anything about Phone Arena, linked to above, and their testing protocol. It wouldn't be hard to design a test that would favor how Android users use their phones (or how Apple users use their phones—but we all know that ain't happening). I'd have to see how the new iPhone does in my usage patterns—but I'm not going to be buying a tombstone phone, so I'll never know about the 5.5". All I can say is, if you're staring at your phone for more than 6 hours a day, and watching movies most of the time, you should be made aware that you can probably get a 55" TV cheaper than a 5.5" iPhone.

One wild card is the CPU. If that leak of the logic board was accurate, the A8 chip is quite a bit smaller than the A7—and undoubtedly draws considerably less power. Running apps (which is how Apple users use their phones) the difference could be decisive.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Happily, Sir Jony Ive isn't most people.

Then he's making a mistake. Or are you one of those people who believe that Apple never makes mistakes? I suppose that listening to your customers is not to be done either?
  • Reply 56 of 70

In other news, Apple was granted Steve Jobs’ last patent today.

• Reply 57 of 70

I'm beginning to think that you're playing the jokester here
  • Reply 58 of 70
    It's hard to compare battery life because different people do different things and different phones make different tradeoffs. The big Android phones have huge displays, inefficient processors, and a very wasteful OS running as a Virtual Machine. They also have big batteries. The backlight draws the same power all the time. The display draws approximately none when it's not changing, more the quicker each pixel changes. If you watch a lot of full-motion video, that's quite a draw. Web browsing, not so much. Reading, even less. Talking on the phone (did we all forget that as a possibility)? Enormous variation depending on the type of service, location, carrier, etc. Apps? Varies enormously.

I don't know anything about Phone Arena, linked to above, and their testing protocol. It wouldn't be hard to design a test that would favor how Android users use their phones (or how Apple users use their phones—but we all know that ain't happening). I'd have to see how the new iPhone does in my usage patterns—but I'm not going to be buying a tombstone phone, so I'll never know about the 5.5". All I can say is, if you're staring at your phone for more than 6 hours a day, and watching movies most of the time, you should be made aware that you can probably get a 55" TV cheaper than a 5.5" iPhone.

One wild card is the CPU. If that leak of the logic board was accurate, the A8 chip is quite a bit smaller than the A7—and undoubtedly draws considerably less power. Running apps (which is how Apple users use their phones) the difference could be decisive.

Browsing uses considerable battery life. The radio in a phone is a major power draw, as is WiFi and GPS.

If Apple does what it's done before it will make the SoC considerable more powerful, wiping out any advantage in battery life we would get from a smaller process.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    melgross wrote: »

I'm beginning to think that you're playing the jokester here

Why?

I had the 4. Loved it. Now on 5. When I hold the 4, it feels like a brick. The 5 is svelte, but needs rounded edges.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Looks quite thin:

That's the Goophone, based on rumored specs.