Samsung's wrap-around smartphone screen concept becomes a reality with Galaxy Note Edge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
First teased a year and a half ago, Samsung's concept for a smartphone with a slanted screen edge that can be more easily viewed from side angles is set to become a reality later this year, in the form of the company's new Galaxy Note Edge smartphone.




The selling point of the newly announced Galaxy Note Edge is its 5.6-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display at a resolution of 2560 by 1440. But it also offers an extra 160 pixels on the one curved edge, and is set to launch later this year in both black and white models.

The edge screen user experience offers revolving interaction, "immersive apps" including camera video and S Note, a ticker board, "express me," quick tools, and a night clock, Samsung said. The handset was announced on Tuesday as part of the company's Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event at the IFA 2014 trade show in Berlin.




"The Galaxy Note Edge's unique curved Edge screen provides quick access to frequently used apps, alerts and device functionality - even when the cover is closed - all with the swipe of a thumb," the company said in a press release. "Users can also receive notifications directly on the Edge Screen while watching videos without disturbing their viewing."

Samsung's latest design will run Android 4.4 KitKat, and will be powered by a 2.7-gigahertz quad-core processor. The system also boasts 3 gigabytes of RAM, with storage options of 32 or 64 gigabytes, and a microSD slot that offers expansion up to 64 gigabytes.

The Note Edge's rear facing camera is a 16-megapixel shooter with smart optical image stabilization, while the forward-facing lens is 3.7 megapixels.

In terms of connectivity, the Note Edge will support up to LTE Cat 6 for 300Mbps download speeds, and it also includes next-generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, infrared LED remote control, and near-field communications.




Samsung first teased its flexible OLED display technology in January of 2013. At that time, the device was known as the "Youm," and it was showcased running Microsoft's Windows Phone mobile operating system.

Much has clearly changed in the last year and a half, however, as the Note Edge runs Google's Android platform, just like most of Samsung's other mobile devices. Of course, it will be Samsung's modified version of Android, featuring additions such as multi-window model, S Health 3.5, and a unique "ultra power saving mode."

Youm is a flexible OLED technology that uses plastic, rather than glass, as a substrate for the display's transistors. Some observers believe such displays could be an emerging trend in the electronics industry, particularly with upcoming wearable devices.

In particular, it's been rumored that Apple might adopt a flexible OLED display for its anticipated "iWatch," which the company is expected to showcase at its own media event next Tuesday. A flexible OLED display could allow Apple to include a curved screen on its wearable device, which could allow it to more comfortably fit around a wearer's wrist.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 87
    Only on one side?
  • Reply 2 of 87
    Visually it gets a second look .. but functionally.. I have to wonder at the use cases.. 1st) Left hand use? 2) loss of durability of the screen? 3) Are you basically loosing that part of the screen to slide widgets? Last) What will be visibility in dark and outdoor direct sun situations..

    Samsung phones are not the best in direct sunlight to begin with..

    Guess we'll see when people get their hands on it.. I usually take any 'releases' like this as attempts to mute Apple iPhone releases though..
  • Reply 3 of 87
    Can’t wait for all the accidental touches. I like how it’s designed to only be used in the left hand. That’s one way to ensure you don’t sell many.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post



    Visually it gets a second look .. but functionally.. I have to wonder at the use cases.. 1st) Left hand use? 2) loss of durability of the screen? 3) Are you basically loosing that part of the screen to slide widgets? Last) What will be visibility in dark and outdoor direct sun situations..



    Samsung phones are not the best in direct sunlight to begin with..



    Guess we'll see when people get their hands on it.. I usually take any 'releases' like this as attempts to mute Apple iPhone releases though..



    No, no - left handed holding. Right handed use. And it's "extra" screen, not a loss of screen! Get it right!!

     

    And ultra super duper power saving mode - because having that other part on all the time will kill the battery.

  • Reply 5 of 87
    Can’t wait for all the accidental touches. I like how it’s designed to only be used in the left hand. That’s one way to ensure you don’t sell many.

    My guess is the design is to mirror how westerners read, from left to right, which means books open from the right. You put a nice leather fold on this, put it on your desk or conference table closed and you can still check the time and other data with a quick glance without have to open it up. At least, that's how I'm envisioning their use case.


    edit: Can that edge be illuminated without the rest of the display being lit up? IOW, is it dual LED backlights or AMOLED?
  • Reply 6 of 87
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,175member
    A neat-looking gimmick that is absolutely horrid in actual usage and implementation, just like all of Samsung's other shitty gimmicks. But hey, gets them a bit of attention which is all they want.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post



    Visually it gets a second look .. but functionally.. I have to wonder at the use cases.. 1st) Left hand use? 2) loss of durability of the screen? 3) Are you basically loosing that part of the screen to slide widgets? Last) What will be visibility in dark and outdoor direct sun situations..



    Samsung phones are not the best in direct sunlight to begin with..



    Guess we'll see when people get their hands on it.. I usually take any 'releases' like this as attempts to mute Apple iPhone releases though..



    I wonder about the function issue as well. I think it looks rather dumb really with it only on one side. Looks like someone put the screen on wrong. The limiting use of the phone to only holding it in one hand seems like a bad move. As does having touch buttons, rather than physical ones. too any bad presses it seems to me would occur. 

     

    And yes I agree with the implied notion that this might not be cool enough to counter issues if the general screen isn't improved. 

  • Reply 8 of 87

    OK, I am going to be guilty of heresy.

     

    In honesty, regardless or whether it's practical or will work, I appreciate the fact that it's the first seemingly 'original' looking Samsung phone design. Even though I do not quite understand the reason why the edge screen is only one side, in a weird way, I do find it appealing. (For starters, it does not make me go 'ugh.') 

  • Reply 9 of 87
    this looks designed for the sake of design. not for functionality. I like the image of the side view where I can't really make anything out (even if it is just a rendering). not really sure that it is an added selling point. It will be interesting to see the reviews on this when it hits the market.
  • Reply 10 of 87

    It's stupid.  

  • Reply 11 of 87
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

    So can Android deal with this out of the box, or is this something Samsung thinks will make Tizen more desirable.

    Also, how does it deal with unintended contact when your left hand fingers are wrapped around it? A new round of "you're holding it wrong" jokes?

  • Reply 12 of 87
    solipsismx wrote: »
    My guess is the design is to mirror how westerners read, from left to right, which means books open from the right. You put a nice leather fold on this, put it on your desk or conference table closed and you can still check the time and other with a glance. At least, that's how I'm envisioning their use case.


    You know that nearly all easterners read from left to right, too, right? There are minor variations with calligraphy.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

     

    So can Android deal with this out of the box, or is this something Samsung thinks will make Tizen more desirable.

    Also, how does it deal with unintended contact when your left hand fingers are wrapped around it? A new round of "you're holding it wrong" jokes?


    Ed Baig of USA Today (http://usat.ly/1nwVylV) had similar concerns, but he says that, while he remains unconvinced and is waiting for real-world tests, the brief demo he did posed no issues.

  • Reply 14 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

    OT: Apple stock down almost 4% this morning because an analyst came out and said sell the stock and if next week isn't a blowout they will be downgrading the stock. I find the timing of all this stuff very curious. Especially this sell note coming the same day Samsung releases new phones. All over Twitter I'm seeing people attribute the drop to Samsung's announcement.

  • Reply 15 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post



    Only on one side?

    Flip it upside down and it will be on the other side.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post



    this looks designed for the sake of design. not for functionality. I like the image of the side view where I can't really make anything out (even if it is just a rendering). not really sure that it is an added selling point. It will be interesting to see the reviews on this when it hits the market.

    Doesn't seem like this would work very well on a device as thin as an iPhone because it is too thin.  There wouldn't be much to see. I don't know how thick a galaxy note is, but from the picture of the person holding it, the side is barely thick enough to see anything.  Of course, this creates a huge conflict in design because the UI people will want a thicker screen and the hardware designers will want a thinner design.  Personally I think the edge is a bad place to expand the UI. 

  • Reply 16 of 87

    Did Samdung supply the photo with the person holding the device?  The computer and accessories on the desk look like shit. The white shirt the person is wearing looks like something you would see on a homeless person going to church. The ball point pen is of the type that collect in your drawer because nobody will use it.  

  • Reply 17 of 87
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

     

    OT: Apple stock down almost 4% this morning because an analyst came out and said sell the stock and if next week isn't a blowout they will be downgrading the stock. I find the timing of all this stuff very curious. Especially this sell note coming the same day Samsung releases new phones. All over Twitter I'm seeing people attribute the drop to Samsung's announcement.


     

    Agree.  Checked the stock earlier & told my wife 'we're taking a beating today.'  I find the timing suspect.

  • Reply 18 of 87
    Side viewing better on the side you're looking from, but what about the side that curves away from you? Another curve gimmick from the company that gave us the concave TV screen. Maybe the words gimmick and innovation are the same in Korean?
  • Reply 19 of 87
    revenant wrote: »
    You know that nearly all easterners read from left to right, too, right? There are minor variations with calligraphy.

    I'm aware, but I felt it was easier to write using my example.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

     

     

    Agree.  Checked the stock earlier & told my wife 'we're taking a beating today.'  I find the timing suspect.


    Very suspect. And no way the Note 4 would cause a 4% drop in the stock.

Sign In or Register to comment.