Sight unseen, Apple's competitors expect 'iWatch' to help establish wearable computing market

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
Apple's role as the top trendsetter in technology is so well established that even rival companies Samsung and LG are openly admitting they hope the "iWatch," whatever it actually is, will help expand the market for wearable devices beyond niche status.

With big expectations for the wearable computing market, numerous major players have unveiled their own new devices this week at the IFA trade show in Berlin. Perhaps most prominent are LG and Samsung, which both announced new smartwatches, ahead of Apple's anticipated "iWatch" reveal next Tuesday.

And though Samsung and LG intend to compete with Apple's rumored wearable device, both companies admitted to Reuters that Apple's presence would help legitimize what remains a nascent market.

"This is what we wanted," said Samsung European CEO Sunny Lee, when asked about Apple's anticipated "iWatch" reveal.

And Sung-jin Lee, director of LG Electronics' watch product planning team, went as far as to say that an Apple wearable device would "expand the market."

Buzz for Apple's "iWatch" recalls the hype just before the last two times the company entered new markets with a splash: the iPhone and iPad. Prior to the unveiling of the first iPhone in early 2007, many envisioned a handset with an iPod classic-style click wheel --?a prediction that in hindsight was terribly misguided, even though Apple did experiment with such a design behind the scenes.

And before the iPad was showcased to the public for the first time in 2010, observers had expectations of a device costing over $1,000 and running some version of its Mac OS X operating system. Fan mockups of a mythical Apple tablet even included features like an optical disc drive.

Ahead of Apple's Sept. 9 media event, no components or even concrete details about the design of the so-called "iWatch" have leaked. Its appearance appears to be as much of a mystery to fans -- and competitors --?as the iPhone and iPad were before they were revealed.

This week, a pair of reports from The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times both claimed that the "iWatch" will sport a flexible OLED display that would allow the wearable device to take on a unique, curved form factor not possible with a flat LCD display. It's also expected that it will come in two sizes for men and women.

Other reports have claimed the "iWatch" will feature wireless charging, and that the display will be protected by scratch-resistant sapphire. It's also rumored to feature near-field communications technology for wireless payment services, and to include advanced sensors for tracking health and fitness related data, including heart rate.

Though little is known about the "iWatch," expectations are high. Observers believe Apple's entrance into the emerging wearable devices space will essentially define the market, much like the iPhone and iPad did for their respective product categories.

If Apple does manage to deliver the unexpected next Tuesday, it would be no surprise to see competitors such as Samsung and LG scrambling back to the drawing board, rethinking their smartwatch strategies. Because if history is indication, Apple isn't looking to grow a nascent market --?it plans to define it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Of course they want Apple to reveal what they've developed, how else would they know what to copy??
  • Reply 2 of 73
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Well of course they expect Apple to set the standard. Particularly since they have been wholly unable to do it on their own.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    I'll have so much fun if they end up releasing a TV next week as every commentator hoped for 5 years ago...
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I’m still totally okay with this design from 2004. It’d have to be a 13” or 15” tablet, but I like it.

• Reply 5 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So they’re all waiting for Apple to show them how it’s done. Then will come the comparison ads showing their devices are oh so superior. If they didn’t have Apple to copy what would these Korean copycats do? This is priceless. I eagerly await comments from regular AI trolls now that their favorite foreign companies have openly admitted what we all knew anyway.

• Reply 6 of 73

Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep who will buy their wearable computing products?

• Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So they’re all waiting for Apple to show them how it’s done. Then will come the comparison ads showing their devices are oh so superior..... This is priceless. 

I'm eager to see Apple announce something else entirely. And at the end, they can say "Oh, and all those rumors about iWatches? Utter nonsense; we have no intent to produce a wrist-worn smart-watch: the niche is too small. But we were glad to see our competitors fritter away their resources and fall all over themselves trying to beat us to market with their half-baked toys. The media should NOT publish such rampant speculation and rumors!"

• Reply 8 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So they’re all waiting for Apple to show them how it’s done. Then will come the comparison ads showing their devices are oh so superior. If they didn’t have Apple to copy what would these Korean copycats do? This is priceless. I eagerly await comments from regular AI trolls now that their favorite foreign companies have openly admitted what we all knew anyway.

Of course, Samsung and other android device makers ran out of idea how to do things and wait for Apple. I'll bet 100:1 that the next Samsung Gear will have most of features in Apple iWatch (if true) and more (faster chip, more RAM, high resolution screen and some more gimmicks...)

• Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I'm eager to see Apple announce something else entirely. And at the end, they can say "Oh, and all those rumors about iWatches? Utter nonsense; we have no intent to produce a wrist-worn smart-watch: the niche is too small. But we were glad to see our competitors fritter away their resources and fall all over themselves trying to beat us to market with their half-baked toys. The media should NOT publish such rampant speculation and rumors!"

And this is not what will happen

• Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m still totally okay with this design from 2004. It’d have to be a 13” or 15” tablet, but I like it.

You have a lot of CDs lying around, do ya?  

• Reply 11 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple's competitors are like parasites, feeding on whatever little leftover crumbs that they can get their dirty paws on.

Of course they need Apple to lead the way! 

• Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well, sir Jonny Ive already admitted that it's a timepiece and more....So, your thought is irrelevant at this point.

• Reply 13 of 73
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

You have a lot of CDs lying around, do ya?  

Oh, you know what I mean. All my music’s ALAC now.

• Reply 14 of 73
    msimpson wrote: »
    Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep who will buy their wearable computing products?

Oh, Bravo!
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, you know what I mean. All my music’s ALAC now.

The only thing missing in that picture is a snap-on keyboard!  Click in, FTW.

/s, etc.

• Reply 16 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Check out these tweets from Ben Bajarin. Convinces me more than ever that Apple is going to drop a bomb on Tuesday. :smokey:

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2dl7swj.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 17 of 73
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Personally, I think Apple will go into two completely different directions; a luxury watch and a fitness band, that serve two completely different markets. Just as Apple has resisted putting OS X into a tablet form factor, they'll also create wearables that are specific and excel at their respective purposes.

And why would Apple use OLED displays? What do these people think the LuxVue acquisition was for? Transparent Micro-LED displays will be used.

• Reply 18 of 73
    FULL OS X OR NO SALE!!!
  • Reply 19 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Of course, Samsung and other android device makers ran out of idea how to do things and wait for Apple. I'll bet 100:1 that the next Samsung Gear will have most of features in Apple iWatch (if true) and more (faster chip, more RAM, high resolution screen and some more gimmicks...)

What's the point in having faster/more of everything if the battery life sucks and the user experience isn't any better?

• Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Personally, I think Apple will go into two completely different directions; a luxury watch and a fitness band, that serve two completely different markets. Just as Apple has resisted putting OS X into a tablet form factor, they'll also create wearables that are specific and excel at their respective purposes.

And why would Apple use OLED displays? What do these people think the LuxVue acquisition was for? Transparent Micro-LED displays will be used.

Don't think so. Luxury watch? how luxury: Rolex, Omega, Cartier or down to Movado? Apple would be so dumb to do things that they're not expertise. 2 types of wearable devices are for gender.