How to display the URL before clicking a link?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited September 2014

It's kind of annoying that before I click on a link I can't see the URL for which this link will send me to. Anyone knows how to enable that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

It's kind of annoying that before I click on a link I can't see the URL for which this link will send me to. Anyone knows how to enable that?

I’m not sure what you mean. You can turn on the Status Bar at the bottom of the window, though it’s still natively a permanent fixture.

I use Gentle Status Bar to show URLs only when I’m hovering.

• Reply 2 of 6

Interesting, but what is the path to activate the Status Bar? I can't find it (my settings are in french, and the translation might be too different).

This Gentle Status Bar do exactly what I want, but what is the need if that status bar can do it already. (especially since that extension is not on apple website, is it paranoid to install only from official sources?)

• Reply 3 of 6

In English, with Safari active, the very top menubar has a "View" menu (4th menu to the right of the "Apple"), and the 6th item down in that menu is Show/Hide Status Bar.

From within an email, the only way I know to see the link is to right-click on the link, select "Copy Link", and then paste it somewhere to see the full URL.

• Reply 4 of 6

4th menu, 6th item. Gosh. You are the man. You are the man. You are the man!

Translation looks too different, that's why I couldn't find it, I really need to make the move to english! Thank you so much ^^ 

Because I'm curious, what is it exactly that the Gentle Status Bar does that the Status bar don't? I must admit I also didn't understand the sentence "though it’s still natively a permanent fixture". You can't turn on and off that bar, and being a native option always sounds better...

• Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    From within an email, the only way I know to see the link is to right-click on the link, select "Copy Link", and then paste it somewhere to see the full URL.

It will depend on the client but hovering over a link in Apple Mail long enough will bring up the link in a yellow box.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yazolight wrote: »

Thanks!

Desktop Safari: Cmd Slash
    iOS: tap and hold