Apple had 14% U.S. market share at one time!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was searching google and came across this. When you see Apple's U.S. sales figures for the third quarter of 1995,it will make you drool and dream of the day when they can return to this.

<a href="http://product.info.apple.com/pr/press.releases/1996/q1/951113.pr.rel.market.html"; target="_blank">http://product.info.apple.com/pr/press.releases/1996/q1/951113.pr.rel.market.html</a>;

I thought the highest marketshare they ever had in the 90's was around 8% but apparently it was much higher. Back then they sold almost 3 times as many computers in the U.S. as Dell.

I know it's meaningless now but it's still fun to look at a table like this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    In 1981 or so (before the IBM was released) I think they had near 60% marketshare.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, highest i ever thought they had was 25%-26%.

i could be wrong though.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    peggespegges Posts: 56member
    Of course, they're selling more boxes now than they did back then. That is probably the most relevant statistic.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I don't think so. In 1995 Apple sold 5 million Macs. Lately I think they've been selling between 1-2 million a year.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    In '95 everyone didn't own 7 computers

so 18% is less than it would be by todays standards

apple haas about 4.6%(or something like that, I think) now. I suspect with the new iMac already selling in the 100,000s and alot of those sales are pc-converts. I feel that apples marketshare will increase greatly in the next few years...especially if a AMD thrashing g5 is released
  • Reply 6 of 8
    OS X is Apple's only hope. If the buzz spreads throughout IT departments, then maybe, just maybe, Apple will be able to boost marketshare. The important thing to remember is that Macs are widely despised computers. It's not that everyone is using Windows, it's that they are using Windows and at the same time they HATE Macs. For every Mac in operation, there are at least 10 windows users who HATE the Mac more than Satan himself. I wish I knew why but it's true, I talk to many people who hate Macs more than I hate windows...and they can't even offer up a logical reason.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by radar1503:

<strong>I don't think so. In 1995 Apple sold 5 million Macs. Lately I think they've been selling between 1-2 million a year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In 1999 Apple sold 3.45M units

In 2000 Apple sold 4.56M units

In 2001 Apple sold 3.09M units

2002 is off to a very good start. They'll probably sell 3.6M or 3.8M units.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mclaugd1mclaugd1 Posts: 25member
    It sounds heart breaking to hear that Apple has &lt;5% of the desktop market, but when you think that there are like 500 million PC in use throughout the world, then 5% doesn't sound so small anymore.

500 millions is a number I just threw out there, but I'm sure its an astoundingly high number.