Apple to offer in-store iPhone 6 pickups for online preorders

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Departing from its usual product launch operations, Apple will have iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models waiting at brick-and-mortar stores on Sept. 19 for customers placing preorders online.

As noted in an iPhone banner ad on Apple's retail store webpage, the company is initiating in-store pickups for the upcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, both of which go up for preorder at 12:01 a.m. Pacific this Friday.

Alternatively, physical Apple Store locations are scheduled to open at 8 a.m. on launch day, but if past years are any indication of demand, lines could be an issue.

Apple's ad reads, "The big day is coming. Pre-order iPhone 6 and have it shipped to you for free, or pick it up in store. You can also buy at the Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 19."

When asked about the preorder pickup process, Apple representatives said customers can designate a pickup location when placing a preorder reservation online, then bring in a Web receipt or registered email to present to an Apple Store greeter next Friday. With the phones set aside, new owners will also have the option of setting up the device in-store, though wait times may vary.

Workers were less clear on in-store pickup availability, however. Anticipating high demand, there may not be enough supply to keep the option open through to launch day, as retail locations need stock on hand for walk-in customers. As with most major iOS device launches, Apple says supplies may be limited and will be available for purchase on a first-come, first-served basis.

Apple previously offered in-store pickup for the iPhone 4 in 2010, but discontinued the service for subsequent models due to initial supply constraints.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member

Considering my wife will be working and I will be out of town when my Iphone is supposed to arrive, I believe I will select this option.  Hopefully, they will hold it for the 1-2 days longer before I can get there!

• Reply 2 of 21
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Does this include the UK?
  • Reply 3 of 21

in other words, be at your keyboard at 3:01am EST!

• Reply 4 of 21
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Can't see this option anywhere on the UK site, bummer.

• Reply 5 of 21
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What model are you buying?

Will try to get the 5.5", gold, 128g for a store pick up.

• Reply 6 of 21

I used Personal Pickup for the iPad Air launch day in November. Ordered in the middle of the night and went to the Apple store at noon the next day to retrieve my very first tablet. They scanned my printout and said, "hmmmm...no record of this. We may be sold out of this model." But they went in the back and retrieved it. It was very strange. I may opt for mail delivery. Only hypothesis is that I used an employee purchase URL through my company and that caused an issue. But, I don't believe the discount applies to the iPhone 6.

• Reply 7 of 21
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    To all the fools waiting in line and to those that have paid them to do so: :no: :lol:
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Hey AI, would be curious to know how this will all work if you are trying to trade in your old phone for an Apple Store credit and use it to buy the new phone.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

To all the fools waiting in line and to those that have paid them to do so: image image

Some times you just gotta party!

• Reply 10 of 21
    Stand in line. It sends a signal to apple that they are on the right track.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    I'm glad they did this. I was PISSED when the iPhone 5 came out. I pre-ordered with AT&T and had to wait a month while people just walked in and got one.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm glad they did this. I was PISSED when the iPhone 5 came out. I pre-ordered with AT&T and had to wait a month while people just walked in and got one.

I get the feeling they've really learned past lessons and made mountains of these things.

• Reply 13 of 21

I'm getting the 5.5" w 64gb. gold.

I think many more of the 6 plus's will be ordered than originally anticipated, here in the U.S.

• Reply 14 of 21

They did the in store pick up thing for the 4 as well. I selected that because I had baseball tickets early that afternoon and I thought I'd be able to just hop in the store and walk out. They had two lines. One for those who already had a preorder and one who did not. They served the people with per orders first and I ended up waiting in line for 4 hours and didn't get to the game until the 3rd inning. So yeah this is a good thing, but also expect some lines as well if you select this option 

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

They did the in store pick up thing for the 4 as well. I selected that because I had baseball tickets early that afternoon and I thought I'd be able to just hop in the store and walk out. They had two lines. One for those who already had a preorder and one who did not. They served the people with per orders first and I ended up waiting in line for 4 hours and didn't get to the game until the 3rd inning. So yeah this is a good thing, but also expect some lines as well if you select this option 

OR select a 4 A.M. delivery slot to the Fifth Ave. store....

As good an excuse for an overnight stay in the Big Apple as any.

But yeah, that's why I switched to FedEx quite a while ago: I just walk up to the depot and get the thing on my schedule. 

• Reply 16 of 21

I don't know how people would make decisions about which iPhone to buy without first handling each one? So, I have no problem waiting. The other point for me is none of my lines are eligible for upgrade. I'll have to wait for the iPhone 7. 

• Reply 17 of 21
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I don't know how people would make decisions about which iPhone to buy without first handling each one? So, I have no problem waiting. The other point for me is none of my lines are eligible for upgrade. I'll have to wait for the iPhone 7. 

What carrier doesn’t let you upgrade for three years?!

• Reply 18 of 21
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    pazuzu wrote: »
    To all the fools waiting in line and to those that have paid them to do so: :no: :lol:
    Some times you just gotta party!

Ten free internets to you, my fellow Apple fan!

As for me, I will order my iPhone from Verizon for pickup on Oct 23rd. I'm hoping the mob will thin out by then.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I don't know how people would make decisions about which iPhone to buy without first handling each one? So, I have no problem waiting. The other point for me is none of my lines are eligible for upgrade. I'll have to wait for the iPhone 7. </span>

What carrier doesn’t let you upgrade for three years?!

TS bought the 4s when it was available for free last month.... 8-)
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I was going to pre-order the 5.5" 64gb in gold but have decided to wait until the iOS 8 jailbreak is out. My 5S is currently jailbroken and I won't be upgrading to iOS 8 until the jailbreak drops and then I'll give my 5S to my daughter and get the 5'5. Hopefully they have a jailbreak before Thanksgiving or Christmas.