Issue with new Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11ac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited September 2014

I just purchased an AEBS (new model with 802.11ac).  I'm using it with Comcast internet service using a Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

I have a very odd and frustrating issue.  The internet simply blips in and out.  I have it set up with WiFi and have connected devices such as my iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro, and a Chromebook to it.  I have the issue on all devices so I know it's not device specific.

The network itself never goes away.  When I look at the WiFi area on my Mac even when the internet isn't working it shows it's connected to the WiFi network.  Also, when the internet is not working the green light is on and staying lit (not blinking) on the AEBS so it appears the WiFi Network part of it works fine.

As mentioned it's the internet service itself that blips in and out.  What I mean by this is it may come on for 40 secs, go off for 20 secs, back on again, and off, just like that. I have not timed it and that would be hard but it seems to be very regular, something like 40 on, 20 off, and it may not even vary at all.  It's a very bizarre issue.  I have also direct connected the modem via ethernet to my Mac Pro. I used it for several problems with no problem so I know it's not the modem.

The only thing I can think of is I received a defective AEBS.  I purchased it through Amazon and I almost contacted them to do a replacement and send this one back.  Yet I'm hoping it's something simple with the settings.  Now I have already done a factory reset of the AEBS and that did not help.  Yet I'm hoping it's simply a setting that I need to modify or wipe out.  Any idea of what's causing this or is it simply a defective base station?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,468moderator
    You don't perhaps have anything that might be interfering with your wifi such as a baby monitor or other wireless device? Have you tried adjusting the wifi channels:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3900962?tstart=0
  • Reply 2 of 4

If your cable modem used more than 3 years or so then I suggest  change the modem first.

My brother in law also use Comcast and they have newer model(I think different company model) then what you have.

He just replaced within 2 months.

I am not sure what do you mean by

"As mentioned it's the internet service itself that blips in and out.  What I mean by this is it may come on for 40 secs, go off for 20 secs, back on again, and off, just like that."

If you mean actual internet service is out from modem then it might not router to in & out that quickly. Normally router react much slower.(when modem out of service then router check to make sure it is really no service then start indicate the problem.)

Also even modem sometimes show all the light is still on when service is out..(I had that modem with timewarner and it always late on when service is out. Like my PC has no internet service but modem light is still on. and then 20sec or more later light is out.)

If your router set up worked before then it should not failed other then hardware failure.

1) I would replace modem first and then check again.

2) Change wifi channel to 10-12.

3) Check your network cable that connect between router and modem.

4) Check with Comcast to check the pole outside to make sure there is no equipment failure. 

Sometimes bad signal filter in pole cause that as well.

These days no filter on pole. they start to use set top box to control your subscription.

But you never know.

5) If you can check your router to other place such as your friend network then test it.

If your router has no problem in their network then it should be one of failure above.

If your router shows as problem then replace the router or RMA if it still under warranty.

Good luck..

• Reply 3 of 4
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Erroneous post
  • Reply 4 of 4

I love the new Airport Extreme and recommend it to many people having issues with crappy cable modems.  My company, Sudenlink, issue "ARRIS" and  "Hitron Technologies", which is a brand name stamped on a Motorola cable modem.  I'm on my second one in a year, because the WiFi services overheat and drop offline (my office stays 72 degrees 24/7).   Years ago, I would just go get another modem, but today, that also means i've got to update more than 14 devices that are using my WiFi setup. 

So, instead of getting another modem, I plugged in an Airport Extreme.

My internet services is still flakey, but it's not the Apple router, it's the cable company modem/router that fails.   I'm about to go get my 3rd cable modem.   They make me buy all my equipment, but I can't buy a 3rd party cable modem because "they just wouldn't know how to support it !?"  (sic)

My opinion is that the cable companies use the cheapest crap modems they can buy, so don't be surprised that they can't hold up, particularly the Wireless portion.   Many of us have smart phones, smart TVs, smart Blu Ray players, security cameras, network printers and other devices the use the wireless routers.   I don't think they handle the load well, so get the Airport Router which easily handles the extra devices, but it also has a superior antenna system that works so much better in a two story town house.  

Demand a new cable modem, often !