iOS8 on older devices? What are you doing?

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014

So I have a 4.7 iphone6 on the way... obviously will run ios8.

However, I also have a house full of older devices!

iphone 5 (wife's phone)

iphone 5s (daughters phone)

iphone 4s (other daunters phone)

ipad 3 (my main iPad, waiting on air 2 to upgrade)

ipad mini (wife's)

ipad 2 (kids)

I know which devices it's POSSIBLE to run on, but which SHOULD it run on?

Before the rest of the family starts asking me "Hey, should I click on this update button?" - Im trying to figure out the answer myself!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Just do them all. It’s designed for all of them. Ignore the whiners who say the device slows down.

• Reply 2 of 4
    iOS 8 runs on almost all of the hardware that runs iOS 7, with the exception of the iPhone 4 and the second-generation Apple TV. Both of those devices used Apple's A4 SoC, a single-core chip introduced in the first-generation iPad all the way back in 2010. It had about half the CPU performance and one-seventh the GPU performance of the Apple A5 that replaced it, and if you ever used an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0 or even 7.1you won't be surprised that the device didn't make the cut for iOS 8. Here's the complete list of supported hardware:

The iPhone 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6 Plus.The iPad 2, the third- and fourth-generation Retina iPads, the iPad Air, and both the Retina and non-Retina iPad Mini.The fifth-generation iPod Touch.Both revisions of the third-generation Apple TV (as "Apple TV Software" version 7.0).

The base hardware for iOS is now the dual-core Apple A5 with 512MB of RAM.

[URL]http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#devices[/URL]
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just do them all. It’s designed for all of them. Ignore the whiners who say the device slows down.

Well, thats exactly my concern.

Selfishly, I will be keeping *MY* idevices on the cutting edge, but some of the others in the household will lag a bit.

• Reply 4 of 4
    Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Selfishly, I will be keeping *MY* idevices on the cutting edge, but some of the others in the household will lag a bit.

I can see the 4S and 2 encountering that at times, but I doubt anything else will.