Apple chief blasts labels

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://it.mycareer.com.au/news/2002/03/05/FFX2E13V8YC.html"; target="_blank">The article</a>.

[quote] Jobs, Apple's chief executive, complained that the digital music services backed by the labels don't make it easy for consumers to burn tracks from CDs they buy.

"No one is going to use such services," Jobs says.

"If you legally acquire music, you need to have the right to manage it on all other devices that you own."

The lesson of Napster, which popularised unauthorised music-sharing on the Internet, had more to do with convenience than the fact users could get music free of charge, in Jobs' view. "We believe that over 80percent of people are willing to pay," he says. "But there is no one offering you a choice."

<hr></blockquote>

There is a HUGE fight brewing between content providers & consumer electronics manufacturers (consumers too if they wake before it's too late).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I think the artists should focus on earning their pay via the one thing that cannot be stolen or copied: live performance.

Think of it, a band could record a set of songs, release them for free over the internet, create a great following, and make all of their money by touring (and if they played enough medium sized venues, they could haul in a very nice income).

This could be done WITHOUT the "help" of a single record company.

I believe what the recording industry fears most is the threat to their power. Currently they have the power to decide what the public listens to, but this power is under threat. Of course with that power comes profit...and the greatest threat to their profits lies not in copying CDs...but in the scenario I described above, where a band doesn't even need a contract!

If the public suddenly had the power to decide what they listened to, and bands could earn a living via touring, while having 100% control over their music...well, there are many artists who would like that system over the current system. Most true artists don't like being told what to do by record companies, and it happens much more than many people realize. Sure, the boy bands let the producer make all the music, but if record companies weren't in power, how many boy bands would there be?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Give 'em hell, Steve!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Live performances are a great place to make money, but people are still going to buy CDs too. Heck, if Dave Matthews Band comes out with a new album, I'm going to buy it -- not only for the music, but the liner notes, photos, etc. in the packaging)

Heck, anymore, there's WAY more to a CD than the 1's and 0's on the disk. Look at any Blink 182 album and you'll know that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    JYD,

EXACTLY correct!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member