Need a new MacBook: when to expect "new" models?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
I need to replace my 2011 15" MBP.

I'd like to do it sooner rather than later, but I'm wondering what the conventional wisdom is regarding the next MBP release? I've not heard many theorize about new MacBooks being part of the October event....

I just don't want to get a new machine unboxed and configured and then read about the NEW model 7 days later ;-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    lowepg wrote: »
    I need to replace my 2011 15" MBP.

I'd like to do it sooner rather than later, but I'm wondering what the conventional wisdom is regarding the next MBP release? I've not heard many theorize about new MacBooks being part of the October event....

I just don't want to get a new machine unboxed and configured and then read about the NEW model 7 days later ;-)

The Retina Macbook Pro was just updated recently:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

The next refresh will use Broadwell chips but they don't arrive until Q2 2015.

The speculation on the October event is for a Retina Macbook Air (and a Retina iMac, Thunderbolt display and probably an updated Pro). The MBP is already Retina so is ahead of all of them. The Air may also switch to a fanless design.

If you just need a basic 15" laptop, there's a possibility that they can make a 15" Retina Air so it would be worth holding off for that. If you need the quad-i7 and powerful GPU, get the current Retina MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Thanks!

I'm actually interested in replacing my 15" mbp with a 13" mbp. I just assumed I needed the bigger display when I first bought it. Since then, I've used my kids' and wife's's 13" mbp and realized that size is actually very usable!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks!

I'm actually interested in replacing my 15" mbp with a 13" mbp. I just assumed I needed the bigger display when I first bought it. Since then, I've used my kids' and wife's's 13" mbp and realized that size is actually very usable!

In that case, I would wait for the October event because the 13" Air and 13" rMBP aren't much different in terms of weight and performance. If the Air goes Retina, there is no need for the 13" rMBP and a new design would be able to replace both the old 13" Air and 13" rMBP. It might not ship until later as it would be based on Broadwell Core M but it should be worthwhile.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Thanks!

At this point you don't want to be buying any thing Mac or iPad related from Apple. The rumored new product release is only 12 days or so away and hopefully we will learn what is new then.

However I wouldn't hold out much hope for new laptops. The machines where recently revved and in most cases Intel has nothing better to offer for an update. There are rumors of a 12" retina MBA coming but I don't have much faith in the rumors nor the ability of Apple to deliver a viable machine without Broadwell.

The case with Broadwell is interesting because Intel has implied that chips will roll out over the course of a few months finishing up with the mainstream Broadwell chips in 2015. It is possible though unlikely that Intel and Apple are sitting on a chip suitable for a 12" retina MBA and that machine could come in November. Apple could also jump ship and have AMD custom design a chip for the Mac Book Air that is developed in conjunction with an eye towards the Samsung /Global Foundries deal. In the end the gating factor for a retina MBA is a decent very low powered GPU in the APU chip. I'm not even sure Broadwell can solve that problem.

In any event I think it is simple don't buy hardware from Apple two weeks before a rumored product refresh. No one knows for sure what the product refreshes will be but iPads and iMacs are strongly rumored.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Marvin wrote: »
    In that case, I would wait for the October event because the 13" Air and 13" rMBP aren't much different in terms of weight and performance.
    I really cringe when I see this in print. The 13" MBP offers enough incentive performance wise that it is still a justifiable upgrade for many.

If the Air goes Retina, there is no need for the 13" rMBP and a new design would be able to replace both the old 13" Air and 13" rMBP. It might not ship until later as it would be based on Broadwell Core M but it should be worthwhile.

Err no. Going retina in the Air just offers Apple additional opportunity with the 13" MBP. The big opportunity would be either quad core or an enhanced GPU relative to the AIR. There are still parts of the MBP at makes it a worthwhile machine comported to the Air.

Given all of that I'd like to see Apple completely refactor the laptop line up. A 12" MBA, a 14" MBP and a 16" MBP would make for a very interesting line up and solve a lot of problems.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I really cringe when I see this in print. The 13" MBP offers enough incentive performance wise that it is still a justifiable upgrade for many.

15% faster CPU (e.g encode taking 30min vs 26min), 30% faster GPU (e.g 20FPS vs 26FPS). Negligible performance difference in real world tasks.
    The big opportunity would be either quad core or an enhanced GPU relative to the AIR.

There's always opportunity but the reality is they have never put a quad-core in the 13". It's an extra 19W so they'd likely have to bundle a higher power PSU than 60W with it.
    A 12" MBA, a 14" MBP and a 16" MBP would make for a very interesting line up and solve a lot of problems.

I don't think they'd use a quad-core so in that light, I don't see why the middle one would be a MBP. I don't see how such a small difference in performance distinguishes from an Air and Pro, the main thing it has is a Retina display. Once the Air gets a Retina display, what is 'Pro' about the 13" MBP?

I think the whole lineup can be narrowed down to about 6-7 models on a single page.

Get rid of the old Air lineup and there would be 2x (i5, i7) 12" Retina Macbook (no need to use Air any more) models, 2x 14" or 15" Retina Macbook models. Then below these, 2-3 configs of 15" rMBP.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Marvin wrote: »
    15% faster CPU (e.g encode taking 30min vs 26min), 30% faster GPU (e.g 20FPS vs 26FPS). Negligible performance difference in real world tasks.
    Negligible? That 30% makes the 13" retina MBPs viable!

There's always opportunity but the reality is they have never put a quad-core in the 13". It's an extra 19W so they'd likely have to bundle a higher power PSU than 60W with it.
    Up to now no but every process shrink makes the possibility more realistic. Eventually Intel will get to where it wants to be GPU wise and will refocus on the CPUs built into its APUs. Even today CPUs are often a minor part of the whole die.

I don't think they'd use a quad-core so in that light, I don't see why the middle one would be a MBP.
    Simplified line ups. The 14" effective slots in between todays 13" & 15" machines. The 16" slots in between the 15" & the missing 17".
    I don't see how such a small difference in performance distinguishes from an Air and Pro, the main thing it has is a Retina display. Once the Air gets a Retina display, what is 'Pro' about the 13" MBP?
    You imply the performance differential is non existent but it is very real. You should dismiss Apple/Intel finding a way to increase that differential.
    I think the whole lineup can be narrowed down to about 6-7 models on a single page.
    Well we are on the same page here. The approach might differ but a simplified line up would be nice.
    Get rid of the old Air lineup and there would be 2x (i5, i7) 12" Retina Macbook (no need to use Air any more) models, 2x 14" or 15" Retina Macbook models. Then below these, 2-3 configs of 15" rMBP.
    I was expecting changes with Broadwell, but we all know what happened there. It might be mid 2015 before the line up changes.