In my hands: iPads

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2014
In my work I often see mobile test mules, but rarely one's from Apple. These should have been returned to Apple months ago, but someone effed up. I got a sneaky peek before they went back...

In hand here I have two,
Big and small sizes for you

Painted on, the display must be seen
Laminated, with no air in between

As the iPhone six plus,
Three times equals pure lust

Ahhhh, enough of the rhymes...

Screen caps on the Air are 2304x3072 = 3x. Compared to 6+ w/magnifier and pixel density looks the same. If physical res = screen cap res, then ppi = 396. Whoa. Sharper than 6+ since no downscaling.

Mini caps still 1536x2048.

Display quality:
Similar to 6+. Painted-on look, so laminated. Both same full sRGB color gamut to my eyes.

Color saturation and vibrance on both screens is like new iPhones.

Sorry, no scale handy, but weight is crazy - seemed like dummies until powered on.

Overall impression (for both): Design is more like 6+ (without camera nipple).

Need pentalobe driver in next few hours to crack these, if found will report.

One more thing...

Have in hand third item, radically new. Fits rumors, but so much more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Originally Posted by Rocked Pet View Post

Screen caps on the Air are 2304x3072 = 3x.

That makes no sense. The resolution is 2048x1536; why would a screen capture be larger? Why would it render larger?

Need pentalobe driver in next few hours to crack these, if found will report.

If you have them available to TEAR DOWN, why not take some pictures of them?

Have in hand third item, radically new. Fits rumors, but so much more.

You know, I’m nostalgic for people claiming they know anything whatsoever about prerelease products, so I’ll play along. Fits what rumors? What radically new?

• Reply 2 of 5
    No pics, the units were covered in ID marks and I'd get nailed.

To the doubters:
    iOS 8.1 corroborates my report.

To the ignorant:
    iOS point scaling and relationship to physical pixels.
    iOS resolution reference.

To the crazy ones:
    ~400 ppi is impressive on the 6+ 5.5" but it's an alternate reality on a 10" display; the experience is far beyond the iPad 3 jump to retina. I must again stress how insanely light and thin this is. It's a masterpiece straight out of Jobs-era Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Please note that my posts go live a day or two after I fire them into the moderation hole.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

To the crazy ones:

~400 ppi is impressive on the 6+ 5.5" but it's an alternate reality on a 10" display; the experience is far beyond the iPad 3 jump to retina. I must again stress how insanely light and thin this is. It's a masterpiece straight out of Jobs-era Apple.

Sorry but we have your IP now, TS was just stalling:

Natasha Romanoff: Steve, I got a bogey. Short-range ballistic. Thirty seconds, tops.

Steve Rogers: Who fired it?

Natasha Romanoff: APPLE.

Lol.

In any case, a higher rez iPad would be nice although I'm getting the mini.  I would be nice if they used that 6+ panel on the mini.

• Reply 5 of 5

No pics, the units were covered in ID marks and I'd get nailed.

Do you know what Photoshop is? Just erase them. Or take pictures that don’t include the markings. Or send the original pictures to me and I’ll erase the markings before I post them. If there’s anyone you can trust it’s me, since I don’t believe you in the first place. What better way to prove your point?

No, it corroborates that there’s a higher resolution. It makes no sense for it to be on the Air.

~400 ppi is impressive on the 6+ 5.5" but it's an alternate reality on a 10" display

Because in that alternate reality, it is necessary. As it is not, however…

I must again stress how insanely light and thin this is.

Lemme guess. Less than a pound, thinner than the current Air, and with a comparable hit to the battery life.

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Sorry but we have your IP now, TS was just stalling

Copy one iPhone, two more will take its place.

Hail Apple.