Apple sapphire partner GT Advanced seeks to 'wind down' plant operations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
New details of Apple sapphire partner supplier GT Advanced revealed on Thursday, with one report saying the sapphire maker asked the court for permission to "wind down" operations at its manufacturing plant.

According to Re/code, GT asked a U.S. bankruptcy court judge to close the plant. Details on the motion are unavailable as the company asked to keep documents sealed to protect confidential contracts made with Apple.

Earlier this week, GT Advanced filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a move Apple called "surprising." Last November, the Cupertino tech giant inked a $578 million deal with GT to build out a state-of-the-art sapphire production facility in Mesa, Ariz.

It was later learned that Apple paid four out of five advances, but withheld a final $139 million payment due in October for unknown reasons. Follow-up reports claim Apple tried to help GT meet contractual obligations that would qualify the firm to receive this final installment, which was due in October.

For its part, Apple said it remains dedicated to the jobs created in Arizona and is currently working with government officials to make sure those positions are not liquidated. It is not clear what the company intends to do if GT successfully closes the site.

Judge Henry Boroff has reportedly scheduled an Oct. 15 hearing to further examine the motion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Sorry if this has already been suggested, but why doesn't Apple just buy them?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    New details of Apple sapphire partner supplier GT Advanced revealed on Thursday, with one report saying the sapphire maker asked the court for permission to "wind down" operations at its manufacturing plant.

Judge Henry Boroff has reportedly scheduled an Oct. 15 hearing to further examine the motion.

Apple lawyers will flash mob the court room... That judge will see more silk suits that day then he's seen all his life.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Crooks, they pocketed the money
  • Reply 4 of 61
    If I'd risk a WAG, I'd say somebody got really greedy when Apple's big bucks came into play.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bizzare wrote: »
    Crooks, they pocketed the money

I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to lose much, if anything, here, since I think all the equipment they bought will go back to them.
  • Reply 6 of 61

If they did indeed pocket the money I think that would be easy to prove. They have this nice new and big building in AZ, they've been paying people who worked there, etc., etc. Somehow, someway, things flew out of control and if much of an effort was made to stem the flow of blood ($$$), it didn't work. Running a potential big business is work, and whoever was involved just couldn't handle it. Apple "may" end up owning the company, at least this plant... but courts can really grind slowly. This was a real shame.

• Reply 7 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to lose much, if anything, here, since I think all the equipment they bought will go back to them.

Not according to our resident guru, "sog". LOL!

• Reply 8 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So, is this good or bad for the stock? Bought @ $.90, not sure if I should dump it all or wait for some sort of miracle spike. Is there ANY scenario where the stock would recover?

• Reply 9 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So, is this good or bad for the stock? Bought @ $.90, not sure if I should dump it all or wait for some sort of miracle spike. Is there ANY scenario where the stock would recover?

How about: This is a well planned bluff by GTAT in which Apple will succumb to because it's more cost effective for Apple to pay to keep their investment afloat which would then shoot the stock up to between 2 and 3 dollars per share.

(NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PREDICTION)
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about: This is a well planned bluff by GTAT in which Apple will succumb to because it's more cost effective for Apple to pay to keep their investment afloat which would then shoot the stock up to between 2 and 3 dollars per share.

(NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PREDICTION)

I hope so. I picked up some stock at $1.36/share. Pretty late to it, really.

If it reaches $2 I will probably sell, the stock is way too volatile.

• Reply 11 of 61
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    There is something afoot here. Companies don't usually lobby to shut down just days after declaring bankruptcy just days after not receiving a 5th of 5 payments from a sugar daddy. It's hard to decide if those lobbying the court to shut down are butthurt or are playing some other "let's force Apple to buy us out ASAP" games. Either way, Apple should indeed buy them out but only on the condition that all those in charge get canned with no golden parachutes. Trying to actively shut down and put all those people out of work is evil of them and Apple should want no part of them. I have confidence that if Apple can make all the other products they do, they can figure out how to run a Sapphire plant that they've been carefully overseeing.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    They may if they see no way to recover, which seems likely given their financial position. The bankruptcy appears to be the result of the massive expansion into sapphire. They may feel that the only way out, and save their remaining business is to offload that segment and focus on solar. The plant is probably bleeding money in labor and other associated costs. It seems they bit off more than they could chew.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Doesn't Apple own the plant and machinery, and just pay GT to operate it? Apple just needs to revoke the lease and leave them out in the cold.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Yesterday, I laid out my thoughts on this situation and suggested that the situation might not be so bad to have warranted all of the collapse in the share price.  That with that last $139 million payment form Apple, or an equivalent deferral of debt payments by the bankruptcy court, the company might be able to forge ahead.  This was an informed assumption.  But today's news and the fact that the bankruptcy details are closed suggests to me that my assumption is either wrong, or, even if correct, is no longer investable.  I bought shares at $1.14 in Wednesday's after-market session and sod them today for exactly the same price.  

To those who are still holding the shares, you need to consider the following:

1. Apple owns the land and buildings that make up the AZ facility.

2. Apple has little incentive to save GTAT from bankruptcy.  The money Apple lent to GTAT is secured by the sapphire furnaces and other equipment installed at Apple's AZ facility.  With the bankruptcy court's blessing, ownership of that equipment can be transferred to Apple.

3. GTAT's proposed wind down of the sapphire works may be in anticipation of turning over the equipment to Apple in lieu of repayment of the loan.  There are likely some formal procedures and employee commitments that GTAT must deal with before Apple can hire any of GTAT's employees at that facility to keep it running and this might be what the wind down is in reference to.  I doubt we're talking about trucking furnaces out of the buildings.

4. The bankruptcy process, because it is closed, will not soon reveal the facts investors need to have in order to make an informed investment.  If you are still in the shares after the announcement of the closed proceedings, you are speculating, even if you originally took the position as an investment. 

My recommendation is to understand you goals with this position, ask yourself why you are in it, and what the probability your goals will be met. Me?  I'd move on to another, more transparent investment.

• Reply 15 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yesterday, I laid out my thoughts on this situation and suggested that the situation might not be so bad to have warranted all of the collapse in the share price.  That with that last $139 million payment form Apple, or an equivalent deferral of debt payments by the bankruptcy court, the company might be able to forge ahead.  This was an informed assumption.  But today's news and the fact that the bankruptcy details are closed suggests to me that my assumption is either wrong, or, even if correct, is no longer investable.  I bought shares at $1.14 in Wednesday's after-market session and sod them today for exactly the same price.  
    GTAT will likely end up in the same position they where in before contracting with Apple. So take a look at their stock value before the deal with Apple was realized and then discount the price a bit.

To those who are still holding the shares, you need to consider the following:

1. Apple owns the land and buildings that make up the AZ facility.

2. Apple has little incentive to save GTAT from bankruptcy.  The money Apple lent to GTAT is secured by the sapphire furnaces and other equipment installed at Apple's AZ facility.  With the bankruptcy court's blessing, ownership of that equipment can be transferred to Apple.
    I'm not sure Apple has much of a need for the plant.

3. GTAT's proposed wind down of the sapphire works may be in anticipation of turning over the equipment to Apple in lieu of repayment of the loan.  There are likely some formal procedures and employee commitments that GTAT must deal with before Apple can hire any of GTAT's employees at that facility to keep it running and this might be what the wind down is in reference to.  I doubt we're talking about trucking furnaces out of the buildings.
    You never know! I do believe this puts an end to GTATs manufacturing aspirations.

4. The bankruptcy process, because it is closed, will not soon reveal the facts investors need to have in order to make an informed investment.  If you are still in the shares after the announcement of the closed proceedings, you are speculating, even if you originally took the position as an investment. 
    Had to say. GTAT had a viable business before Apple, they may be able to rebuild that business. As far as that rebuilding goes it can't be much worst of an investment than many on the market

My recommendation is to understand you goals with this position, ask yourself why you are in it, and what the probability your goals will be met. Me?  I'd move on to another, more transparent investment.

Probably a good idea for most but for those willing to take some risk it might recover.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    I think they can stop referring to them as a "partner".
  • Reply 17 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Couldn't all this have happened because Apple shelved the 'sapphire idea' at the very last minute, leaving GTA with no options?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    paxman wrote: »
    Couldn't all this have happened because Apple shelved the 'sapphire idea' at the very last minute, leaving GTA with no options?

The problem with "could" is that its not proof of anything, but once you put it out there, some people use it as "proof" for their agendas.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Anyone know why they would file chapter 11 for all 9 separate LLCs? Seems like it should just be for specific LLCs for sapphire. Also each filing listed, if I remember correctly $1 billion in assets and liabilities.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    lundkeman wrote: »
    Anyone know why they would file chapter 11 for all 9 separate LLCs? Seems like it should just be for specific LLCs for sapphire. Also each filing listed, if I remember correctly $1 billion in assets and liabilities.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.