Apple announces 27-inch iMac with Retina display, 5,120-by-2,880 pixel resolution

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2014
Apple on Thursday revealed the "next step" in Retina display technology by packing what it calls the "world's highest resolution display" into its popular all-in-one desktop.


iMac with Retina 5K display

The all-new iMac with Retina display boasts a 5,120-by-2,880 pixel resolution with a total of 14.7 million pixels crammed into a 27-inch panel, which Apple calls "Retina 5K display."

Compared to a 4K display, Retina 5K has 67 percent more pixels, or seven times the pixels of a normal HD display. The pixel-dense panel is shoehorned into a chassis that is only 5mm thick at its thinnest edge.




Apple needed to invent new technologies to achieve the super high resolution pixel densities in a small package, include oxide TFT, Organic Passivation to reduce cross-talk, new power-efficient LED backlight modules and a completely new timing controller. Despite the new graphics, the new iMac is 30 percent more energy efficient than the previous version.




The new iMac starts shipping today starting at $2,499 with a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, AMD Radeon 290X graphics chip, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive. Build-to-order configurations include a 4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.4 GHz, AMD Radeon R9 M295X GPU, up to 32GB of RAM and a 3TB Fusion Drive or 1TB SSD.

Where to Buy

Thew new iMac with Retina 5K display is currently available for order from AppleStore.com and MacMall.com ($2,494.00), with MacMall offering the added benefit of only collecting sales tax in a handful of states. Additional discount retailers are expected to begin adding the product to their online stores over the next few weeks, so shoppers can keep an eye on the Price Guides.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member

    WOW that looks AMAZING!

  • Reply 2 of 122

    Holy crap, CHEAP.

     

    Remember when the 30” Cinema Display was released, it was $3,299. Alone. JUST A DISPLAY.

     

    The iMac is $2,499.

  • Reply 3 of 122
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Cool, wouldn't buy one, but very nice none the less. I see publishers and graphic artists going nuts over this one. Also very attractive looking.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,972member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    WOW that looks AMAZING!

    And that's before seeing how amazing it really looks like. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 122

    Hmm, so if I don't do video editing or serious photo editing either, would that 5k be a needless $700 upgrade over the standard-res Mac?

     

    I'm also wondering how games are going to handle that resolution.

  • Reply 6 of 122
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,495member
    IGZO!!!!

    It's been way too long . . . !

    By the way, will the anti-thinness nuts now stop kvetching about how it's unnecessary for a desktop? You saw how the iMac fit with their main graphic for the event, the profile of all the product types done as a glyph of svelte aluminum edges.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

    The price is nut!

  • Reply 8 of 122
    My wallet doesn't think it's that great, but what does he know anyway?
  • Reply 9 of 122
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,087member

    People on this board were mocking this potential machine, and predicting $5000. 

     

    This is a fucking amazing product at $2499. Shocking, really.  Apple products are "over-priced" my ass. 

  • Reply 10 of 122

    The webpage for it is up. Great design; love how it scrolls.

  • Reply 11 of 122

    Nothing needless about 5k.

     

    I wonder.  Can it view an a3 sheet of paper at print resolution.  'Not quite?'

     

    Lemon Bon Bon.

  • Reply 12 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

    People on this board were mocking this potential machine, and predicting $5000. 

     

    This is a fucking amazing product at $2499. Shocking, really.  Apple products are "over-priced" my ass. 


    I wonder what that is in pounds.

     

    Lemon Bon Bon.

  • Reply 13 of 122
    "Set up us the bomb"
  • Reply 14 of 122
    I know it's been gone for a while now, but I still miss the optical drive. Not everything is available via the internet, can you say legacy software? Still like to burn DVDs for friends and family. I like to back-up my critical files (photos, music, financial) onto optical media - I've had multiple hard drives as back-up that have failed simultaneously. I totally understand why you'd want to get rid of the optical drive on a laptop, but I don't get why you need a desktop to be so thin. My desk has never complained about my computer being too heavy. And an external drive adds way more clutter than a 0.5" thicker iMac. I realize it's never coming back, but still lamenting the loss.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,972member
    I wonder what that is in pounds.

    Lemon Bon Bon.

    Hey, we were wondering where you disappeared to.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,972member
    mackymoto wrote: »
    I know it's been gone for a while now, but I still miss the optical drive. Not everything is available via the internet, can you say legacy software? Still like to burn DVDs for friends and family. I like to back-up my critical files (photos, music, financial) onto optical media - I've had multiple hard drives as back-up that have failed simultaneously. I totally understand why you'd want to get rid of the optical drive on a laptop, but I don't get why you need a desktop to be so thin. My desk has never complained about my computer being too heavy. And an external drive adds way more clutter than a 0.5" thicker iMac. I realize it's never coming back, but still lamenting the loss.

    Sold separately
  • Reply 17 of 122
    flaneur wrote: »
    IGZO!!!!

    It's been way too long . . . !

    By the way, will the anti-thinness nuts now stop kvetching about how it's unnecessary for a desktop? You saw how the iMac fit with their main graphic for the event, the profile of all the product types done as a glyph of svelte aluminum edges.

    PINK UNICORN!!!!

    Now I wonder if you can plug this into a Mac Pro and use it like a second monitor someday when the 4.0Ghz Core i5 is past its prime...
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    Holy crap, CHEAP.

     

    Remember when the 30” Cinema Display was released, it was $3,299. Alone. JUST A DISPLAY.

     

    The iMac is $2,499.


    Damn... why don't they take out the computer in it, put in an AppleTV instead, make it a little bigger -- say, 55-60 inches -- and sell it as a high-priced "AppleTV w/5K Display".

     

    I'll plonk down $5K for something like that....

  • Reply 19 of 122

    what about the stand alone 5K retina monitor to use with the MacPro?  wonder if this will follow soon.  Not having an Apple monitor is the thing that's held me back from purchasing the MacPro.

  • Reply 20 of 122
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Does this fix the smearing, streaking issue with the last screen ?
Sign In or Register to comment.