Anyone still own iMAC 333?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I sold my first Mac, an iMAC 333 Purple that had 32mb ram plus 128mb additional under OS 8.6, to my friend before upgrading to Pismo 500 and Cube 450. I would like to know how well iMAC 333 run in OS 9.0.2 or 9.1.2? My friend wants to run iTunes and she is still in OS 8.6. She is scared to upgrade the OS because some people have told her that it crashes all the time. I think that as long as things are in line, OS 9.1 should run fine on iMAC 333...Any known facts on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    My dad's got a 333MHz iMac. Runs 9.2.2 great.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Thanks for the info EmAn!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    My 266 iMac runs it just fine. Don't use multi-user . It sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I have the same model iMac (Mac, not MAC) as yours running 9.2 and it's fine.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I didn't like 9.2 on my iMac. I couldn't put my finger on any one thing but it just seemed that 9.1 was less trouble.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Heck, I've got 9.1 running on my Performa 6115CD/60 MHz! And it runs reasonably fast!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I have 8.6 running on a 7100 and it's slow as shit.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I'm still using my 333 iMac. I run X almost 100% of the time and when i'm in 9.2.2 it seems unstable, and crashes quite a bit. 9.1 seemed better.

X doesn't run *that* slow, except when running quicktime apps. Ram makes a big difference in X and the 384MB that i have helps a lot.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I had the original Bondi Blue iMac G3...the ones that had the infared port in the left speaker. My Mom has it now (OS 8.6) and it runs fine for her. She just types around in Word and prints out recipes and book reviews for the Senior Community she lives in. She may get online someday...

I don't really miss it. But it was the first Mac I ever owned. I now have the iMac G3 700 SE with 768 MB Ram and OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.3...no, I don't miss it...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I was running OS 9.2 on my iMac without any problems. (Well, there was one specific extension conflict, but I took care of it -- nothing to do with OS 9.2 per se.)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    My 266 w. 96mb ram works just fine!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>I have 8.6 running on a 7100 and it's slow as shit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

System 7 rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downgrade baby!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    At this point in time I don't care anymore. It's not going to me mine next week.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I have a Blueberry iMac 333 running MacOS 9.1, works great.

I might try running MacOS X on it, but first i have to buy more RAM (160MB right now).
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I still love my Beige G3 MT 266 Rev A:

?ATI Radeon Mac:Edition (32MB DDR)

?416MB RAM (32, 128, 256)

?60GB 7200RPM Maxtor

?24x CD-ROM

?Internal SCSI Zip (Stock)

?RCA Audio out

?OrangMicro USB/Firewire PCI card

?IntelliMouse Optical (I swear by this mouse)

Great computer and lives up to the amount of stress I put on it. Since I do so much in Mac OS X, it can slow sometimes, but By July (with 10.2, BUT NOT THE REASON FOR THE SPEED INCREASE) I hope to have all final versions of stuff (transmit, Fire, etc).

I will then clean install, and will only be running Final versions of X apps, and only the ones I need., and won't install stuff I don't use every day. This wil help improve the preformance of this computer (and no Classic @all). Oh I also run Apache/PHP/MySQL.