Hackers targeting Apple iCloud users in mainland China with 'massive' attack

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Chinese people are not the problem. Their government is.

I was saying the same thing.

• Reply 22 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I was saying the same thing.

It has to be said - I like what you said, what I said, what you said about what I said, and that's why I said what I said about what you said.

When all's said and done, that's a lot to be said.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

It has to be said - I like what you said, what I said, what you said about what I said, and that's why I said what I said about what you said.

When all's said and done, that's a lot to be said.

"That's what she said."

• Reply 24 of 34
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

I agree with you in many regards and thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am familiar with China's history and have spent much time there. My girlfriend, soon-to-be wife, is also Chinese.

I love China, Hong Kong, and many of the surrounding Asian countries.

I never said I believe democracy to be the answer and was very clear in expressing that it is the government's behavior that I disliked, not the people.

But the recent spate of incidents: invasions into Vietnamese waters for oil, battling with Japan over island territories, deliberately antagonising American military aircraft in international airspace, the refusal to allow Hong Kong to freely elect their leaders, the Great Firewall of China, international hacking incidents, the regular theft of international intellectual property in a large number of international industries, threatening behaviour in Australia when they do not receive favourable media coverage, and let's not forget the old problems - Taiwan and Tibet.

All of this behaviour seems to indicate that the Chinese government does not appear to consider itself a member of the world community, and could even be interpreted as a nation preparing to go to war.

As an international member of the community I must say that their increasingly aggressive behaviour concerns me.

I was right you do not truly understand Chines/world history.  Your understanding is from the western bias.  This is the root problem.

1.  Vietnamese waters?  I suggest you go to any American library and dig out a map that is at least fifty years ago.  You will see that theSouth China sea is Chinese waters according to the west.  Don't forget US agrees with US on Falkland Islands.

2.  battling with Japan over island territories?  Do you know that Japan claimed these islands in the 1920s?  Do you know Japanese history is purely aggressive expansion after its industrial revolution culminated after its WWII defeat by the US?  The Potstam declaration by the allies said Japan should give up all the territory it grabbed after its industrial revolution which of course includes the Okinawa Islands.  I think the US government and media with the goal of anti-communism are very willing to forgo this history and regard Japan as an ally.

3.  refusal to allow Hong Kong to freely elect their leaders.  Is this so serious?  Before 1998 Britains did not allow Hong Kongers free political speech.  I do not recall US and the western world have ever criticized them.  

4.  the Great Firewall of China.  I see this not much different from the US anti-terrorism rules.  The difference is US is very technologically advanced.  US government can effectively monitor its citizen through many sophisticated ways.  This means US is also it.

5. international hacking incidents.  I see this as a global thing.  Numerous countries are doing it.  Only China are being picked up viciously.

6. the regular theft of international intellectual property.  This is the only issue I agree with you.  I think although China are backward, the Chinese should try hard to learn it legally.  But they forget Samsung and even Google are doing it.

7. threatening behaviour in Australia  I have forgotten this news.

8.  Taiwan and Tibet.   Taiwan is a result of Chinese civil war.  Tibet is a part of Qing dynasty.  

• Reply 25 of 34
    tzeshan wrote: »

I was right you do not truly understand Chines/world history.  Your understanding is from the western bias.  This is the root problem.
    1.  Vietnamese waters?  I suggest you go to any American library and dig out a map that is at least fifty years ago.  You will see that theSouth China sea is Chinese waters according to the west.  Don't forget US agrees with US on Falkland Islands.
    2.  battling with Japan over island territories?  Do you know that Japan claimed these islands in the 1920s?  Do you know Japanese history is purely aggressive expansion after its industrial revolution culminated after its WWII defeat by the US?  The Potstam declaration by the allies said Japan should give up all the territory it grabbed after its industrial revolution which of course includes the Okinawa Islands.  I think the US government and media with the goal of anti-communism are very willing to forgo this history and regard Japan as an ally.
    3.  refusal to allow Hong Kong to freely elect their leaders.  Is this so serious?  Before 1998 Britains did not allow Hong Kongers free political speech.  I do not recall US and the western world have ever criticized them.  
    4.  the Great Firewall of China.  I see this not much different from the US anti-terrorism rules.  The difference is US is very technologically advanced.  US government can effectively monitor its citizen through many sophisticated ways.  This means US is also it.
    5. international hacking incidents.  I see this as a global thing.  Numerous countries are doing it.  Only China are being picked up viciously.
    6. the regular theft of international intellectual property.  This is the only issue I agree with you.  I think although China are backward, the Chinese should try hard to learn it legally.  But they forget Samsung and even Google are doing it.
    7. threatening behaviour in Australia  I have forgotten this news.
    8.  Taiwan and Tibet.   Taiwan is a result of Chinese civil war.  Tibet is a part of Qing dynasty.  

There's a few questions that your response raises but I'll take the time to verify your claims before responding myself.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    "That's what she said."

And who am I to argue with her.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Don't forget US agrees with US on Falkland Islands.

I don’t see what the British Falklands have to do with the East Asia disputes.

The Potstam declaration by the allies said Japan should give up all the territory it grabbed after its industrial revolution which of course includes the Okinawa Islands.

On this point, I am 100% in favor of US-owned Ryukyu Islands and a US-owned Taiwan.

Tibet is a part of Qing dynasty.  

And as the communists have no legal claim thereto, what point is there but Tibet’s freedom either by the sword or the pen?

• Reply 28 of 34
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I am not Chinese, nor in China, but I have been subject to this attack. Yesterday I received the email purporting to be from Apple security directing me to click on a link and change my password. Of course I didn't do this, but there has been a strange throttling of iCloud connectivity and my iCloud mail is not connecting most of the time. (I took this to be a DoS attack, initially.) I cannot be sure that it isn't compromised already. Just an hour ago iCloud mail would not allow a message to be moved to the trash.

Btw my only real connection with Chinese radicals is I have a Facebook friend who is a member of Falun Gong.

• Reply 29 of 34
    [SIZE=4]?[/SIZE]... Just put all of China in its own iCloud sandbox...
  • Reply 30 of 34
    gtr wrote: »
    tzeshan wrote: »
    All I want to say is this.  Overwhelming majority of people do not care about politics.  The number one thing they care is their jobs and the wealth their jobs bring.  This should be the yardstick we use to judge a government not the type.  

I agree with you in many regards and thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am familiar with China's history and have spent much time there. My girlfriend, soon-to-be wife, is also Chinese.

I love China, Hong Kong, and many of the surrounding Asian countries.

I never said I believe democracy to be the answer and was very clear in expressing that it is the government's behavior that I disliked, not the people.

But the recent spate of incidents: invasions into Vietnamese waters for oil, battling with Japan over island territories, deliberately antagonising American military aircraft in international airspace, the refusal to allow Hong Kong to freely elect their leaders, the Great Firewall of China, international hacking incidents, the regular theft of international intellectual property in a large number of international industries, threatening behaviour in Australia when they do not receive favourable media coverage, and let's not forget the old problems - Taiwan and Tibet.

All of this behaviour seems to indicate that the Chinese government does not appear to consider itself a member of the world community, and could even be interpreted as a nation preparing to go to war.

As an international member of the community I must say that their increasingly aggressive behaviour concerns me.

There's no such thing as a world community.
  • Reply 31 of 34

Hmmm, any particular reason why AI is using Apple device photos with people of Asian descent on the displays?

• Reply 32 of 34
    There's no such thing as a world community.

Agreed.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Hmmm, any particular reason why AI is using Apple device photos with people of Asian descent on the displays?

<thatsracist.gif>