iPad 2 wifi reception is suddenly weak

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited June 2015

Anyone know what could cause an iPad 2 to suddenly be unable to connect to wifi unless its very near the source? Seems like it will connect when 100% charged, but only for a minute or two, even if it stays plugged in, then won't work again for 6 or 8 hours. Other devices (iPods, iPad 3, Androids, MacBook Air, etc., etc. all connect just fine in the same room).

It has been dropped, but that was 1.5 years ago, with no problems during that time. No recent drops at all. The battery life is still pretty solid, and we only charge it once/week or so. My thought is that the wifi antenna(e) is/are compromised somehow.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    iPad 2 wifigate.
  • Reply 2 of 7

My wife has been complaining about the wifi lately.  I figured it had to do with where I moved my router to.  Makes me think though.  Don't think my other devices have had as much issues as her iPad.

• Reply 3 of 7
    I've been having issues with wifi connection breaking at least once a day, but that's been happening with OS X also (Mavericks).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

iPad 2 wifigate.

knew it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've been having issues with wifi connection breaking at least once a day, but that's been happening with OS X also (Mavericks).

Is yours affected by signal strength? If I host a hotspot on my phone, this iPad can't connect unless I bring the phone w/in three feet. Same phone provides connection to kids' iPods at swim meets as far away as 60 yd. (maybe further -- haven't tried).

• Reply 5 of 7
    lollywlollyw Posts: 1member
    [B][SIZE=4][RIGHT]I have the EXACT problem.. Tried everything I found on the web but no help.
    [/RIGHT][/SIZE][/B]
  • Reply 6 of 7
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

The antenna cable for Wifi + Bluetooth (same antenna for both) has probably become disconnected. Even though it may cost zero in parts the disassembly/reassembly isn't easy. iFixit lists it as 48 steps + "assembly is the reverse." You may be more comfortable in getting a service to do it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+2+Wi-Fi+EMC+2415+Bluetooth-Wi-Fi+Antenna+Replacement/5385

• Reply 7 of 7
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

Thanks! This thing has been a brick for months now. I may as well crack it open.