New to Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am extremely new to apple. So new that I have never..ever..touched one. I am a unix admin and I love any OS none M$. OS X has been showing up a lot lately and I have taken some interest to it. Anyway, I was thinking of buying a new ibook. All I want it for is burning cd's, surfing, doing some movie editing and just having fun (been a while since I had fun on a computer). My ? is should I wait to see if anything new comes out after this MW?? thingy or should I just go ahead and buy the 600 G3 or shell out the extra money for the Tibook? Is it worth it for what I want? I know the graphics card isn't that good on the ibook, but I am not wanting to play quake III on it (i do that on my PC), maybe just some Starcraft.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Go for an iBook, you will love it. You could buy a low end iMac for a little less than an iBook...but I digress.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    should I get the 12" inch. i keep reading where the resolution is better on it than the 14"
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by tristan:

<strong>should I get the 12" inch. i keep reading where the resolution is better on it than the 14"</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 12'' definately. I saw the 14'' in person and its a bulky beast and about everybody else here would agree with that. If you are bent on portability then get the iBook combo 12''.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    The price difference between the 12'' and the 14'' is such that the 12'' looks even better.

I love the small size of the 12'' iBook...that is its best feature.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by tristan:

<strong>should I get the 12" inch. i keep reading where the resolution is better on it than the 14"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Definately go for the 12". The 14" is big and ugly and since the resolution's the same as the 12", the !2" is sharper.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've got the 12.1" ibook and I love it. It's the perfect size. But I really don't think that the 14" is that bad. I actually liked it when I saw it in person. It is a little more expensive. It's getting up near the TiBook range at that price. I'd personally go with the TiBook if I had the money. Go to macmall.com and you can get one for ~$2400 (667 version, DVD only). Regardless, you can't go wrong with any apple portable right now and there doesn't appear to be any upgrades on the horizon, so it's a safe time to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The 12 is 1024 pixels across so it's not "small" as measured by pixels. It's not like it's 800x600. Yuck. My wife has one and it's nice. The small size is a feature.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Definitely get the 12.1" iBook. The 14" iBook is HUGE and pointless unless you have bad sight.

It's also sharper than the 14".

One thing to think about is that the iBook is the only remaining Mac with a G3 processor and no doubt will be updated sometime in the near future. I have no actual information on this, but it seems like common sense to me.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tristantristan Posts: 79member
    Yeah, I wonder how long before they upgrade? I also wanted to know about OS X. On the website when I go to order the laptop it has and option to buy OS X v 10.1 for like 150 bucks. Is it shipped with OX X v 10.0 or something and I have to pay for the new version? I can't just d/l it. Or do I have to buy 10.1 and I can update that version? Am I understanding this correctly??

P.S. Thanks for all the responses
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Your iBook will have the latest version of OS X on it. Upgrades are Free. You will be notified when you can upgrade from the Software Update panel in OS X. It will also let you know of other upgrades available for free. Enjoy!

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>