Apple reportedly acquires cloud startup Union Bay Networks, to open engineering office in Seattle

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Following the discovery that Apple is hiring in the Seattle area, the company on Monday confirmed that it will be opening an engineering office in the state, with reports pointing to the acquisition of local cloud computing startup Union Bay Networks.

While an Apple spokesperson confirmed to The Seattle Times that it is building out an engineering office in the region, the company would not directly state that it had purchased Union Bay. In lieu of an official declaration, the representative offered the usual PR boilerplate, saying Apple "buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Founded by members of F5 Networks, a cloud and data networking solutions firm, Union Bay was a stealth startup with funding from Madrona Venture Group, which declined comment on a possible Apple buy. According to Union Bay's website, it was "focused on delivering solutions that will enable the next generation of networking for cloud computing and software defined datacenters."

It is unknown at this time how Apple plans to incorporate Union Bay Networks into its business model, though the publication believes the purchase to be a so-called "acqui-hire" for talent as at least five former employees have switched their LinkedIn profiles to reflect current employment at Apple. Further, Union Bay's email address is no longer in service, suggesting the company has been shut down or otherwise assimilated.

Hinting at future work on iCloud, Benn Bollay, a former F5 Networks engineer who in September changed his LinkedIn status from Union Bay Networks CTO to "Manager at Apple," posted a public notice to his profile announcing he is hiring for the Seattle office. Bollay, in his capacity as Apple manager, is "looking for talented multidisciplinary engineers to design and develop the core infrastructure services and environments driving every online customer experience at Apple ranging from iCloud to iTunes."

The post has since been removed.

Earlier on Monday, GeekWire reported on Apple's Seattle job openings, noting there are already 30 people working for the company in the area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Tim probably just cleans out the day's take from the registers at an Apple Store when he buys a company. :D
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Assimilated.... That verb will never seem the same to me. I'm glad Apple's new spaceship isn't cuboid!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Tim probably just cleans out the day's take from the registers at an Apple Store when he buys a company. image

Yeah it's incredible how much just one store makes in a year. They could easily fund a small successful startup with that kind of money...or I suppose buy several startups for that matter lol

• Reply 4 of 8
    Assimilated.... That verb will never seem the same to me. I'm glad Apple's new spaceship isn't cuboid!

Glad I'm not the only one who had Borg thoughts when I saw that word. :D
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Tim probably just cleans out the day's take from the registers at an Apple Store when he buys a company. :D

Pocket change! Mere pocket change!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Great!. With CloudKit, iTunes, Music Streaming, Apple TV ( May or may not require its own Network ) iCloud. Apple needs to to get its hand on Server and Networking as well instead of relying on Oracle or other third party enterprise expensive hardware / software.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Was thinking the other day about people complaining "Apple can't do cloud computing."  Yeah, and they couldn't do smart phones, or chip design, or etc.  Well, when they finally decide to address their cloud 'problem', they'll just hire the best cloud people available, give them the necessary resources, and pretty soon problem fixed.  Seems that process has begun.

• Reply 8 of 8

Quite sad and pathetic that you're willing a product to failure. Nothing that Cook has said about ?Watch indicates  http://www.pass-4sure.us

he thinks it's going to be a failure. He's called the watch "profound" and the technology "killer". he also said you'll be charging a daily because you'll be using it so much. Who would say that about a product they expect to bomb?