OS X Yosemite system services keep asking for my OLD iCloud password

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2015

I changed my iCloud password through the Preferences app and after that every time I restart my computer some system services keep asking for my password even though I have signed out of iCloud. And they keep asking for my OLD password.

Some of the services are: com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc, CalendarAgent, CallHistoryPluginHelper, talaganet, cloudd and so on like 8-10 items.

I signed out of iCloud and App Store and restarted the computer several times and the problem persissts. After I sign into iCloud same thing.

Anybody has the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

What do you mean old password? If you input an incorrect password, an old one that is, it's natural for it to persist, isn't it? I am not sure I get your problem, give us some feedback to help. 

• Reply 2 of 7

By OLD pasword I mean the password associated with my account before I changed it. 

Imagine you have an account somewhere and you have a password right? It's called password A. Then one day you change it to password B. And then the system keeps asking for password for the account mentioned but only accepts password A when it should be accepting password B.

I got pissed and made a clean install again.

Yosemite so far is a complete fail. I got my keychain wiped like 5 mins ago while changing a password for a website. Safari asked me if I want to update the password and then all my password except this one were nowhere to be found.

• Reply 3 of 7
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Cho View Post

By OLD pasword I mean the password associated with my account before I changed it. 

Imagine you have an account somewhere and you have a password right? It's called password A. Then one day you change it to password B. And then the system keeps asking for password for the account mentioned but only accepts password A when it should be accepting password B.

I got pissed and made a clean install again.

Yosemite so far is a complete fail. I got my keychain wiped like 5 mins ago while changing a password for a website. Safari asked me if I want to update the password and then all my password except this one were nowhere to be found.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. This all sounds rather sci fi and un-apple like, but shit happens.

Ok, first off take a look at preferences is safari to see if you can see your old passwords there. Safari can't have wiped your keychain, imho, I am not contesting what you say, but your keychain is a separate prog and safari doesn't have access to it to change or wipe it. So fire up keychain and see what passwords you have there. Safari updates only a password at a time, and the passwords relate to websites you access. 

Go to Find your Apple ID and sort out which one it is. See what the system accepts. Do you have any iOS devices it syncs with? 

• Reply 4 of 7

Found this : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652089 ;

The answer from "ruccus" helped me out completely. (Just disable the sync and set the pw).

• Reply 5 of 7

I have a similar problem. Over the last few weeks whenever I switch on my MAC I get a continuous message asking for my iCloud password. Sometimes it asks only 2 times. Other times it goes on and on for many times. I have learned now to click cancel. But I am worried that this means my syncs and backup will not work. I am not a high-tech guy. I do not know how to address this.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

• Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks a lot! This comment in the linked thread was the one that resolves this issue

I had the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks. I called up the Apple store, and this was the fix that was given me:

* Go to Finder.

* On the Finder menu, click on "Go", then on "Go to Folder". A box should come up. 

* On the box, type in "~/Library/Keychains/" and click on "Go". It should lead you to the Keychains folder where you will find three items: (1) a folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers, (2) login.keychain, and (3) metadata.keychain. 

* Delete the folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers.

* Restart your computer. Check to see if the problem has been solved.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you too!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Changing an iCloud password has always been a bag of hurt for me.  With the addition of the two-factor and app-specific passwords, it's an even bigger bag.

More secure, probably, harder to deal with, definitely.