M$N vs. AOL in Ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recently I have seen a LOT of ads for MSN in newspapers, TV commercials, and banners DIRECTLY competing with AOL's ISP services, citeing reviews that said msn's network was better then AOl and had an A+ rating, etc.

WHY CAN'T APPLE DO THIS?!?!?!

Why doesnt Apple make similar ads that say Mac OS X is as good or better then XP in full page ads citing reviews from CNet (as MS did..) and other areas? Apple needs a serious ad campaing designed to convert from the MS camp... enough of the gee wiz features on a mac, lets start some direct competition...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I personally enjoyed the MSN ad that ended something like, "And MSN has Microsoft Technology, so it's faster, and a great alternative to AOL."

That advertising doesn't really fit Apple's image.

Although personally, my favorite Apple ads were the "What is Power?" series, featuring folks like Spike Lee. *That* was a good series
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    maybe i didnt make my point very clear, I am stateing the need for apple to push their SOFTWARE rather then their HARDWARE, competeing with MS rather then DELL and the like. Dell is the LCD of PC production, they make cheap boxes and noone does it better then them, lets concede (for now until Moto gets in gear) to them and not try to compete and instead try competing with MS for once...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I personally enjoyed the MSN ad that ended something like, "And MSN has Microsoft Technology, so it's faster, and a great alternative to AOL."

That advertising doesn't really fit Apple's image.

Although personally, my favorite Apple ads were the "What is Power?" series, featuring folks like Spike Lee. *That* was a good series </strong><hr></blockquote>

And dont forget Oliver Stone.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well, I've said this elsewhere before, but I don't see much of a problem with Apple's advertising. I don't think Apple wants to declare a war on Microsoft and the PC world (Microsoft, Dell, Intel... an axis of evil?). I think Apple is quite happy in the little niche they've carved for themselves. They've been attracting new purchasers, not losing a lot of old ones. It seems to me that so long as Apple can turn a profit and do what they want, they're happy.

I don't know, I guess maybe I'm just not so gung-ho on this idea that we have to go dominate the PC world. I'm pretty content right now...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

And dont forget Oliver Stone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh right, the Oliver Stone one. I had to go dig that off an old zip disk again. Great ads. Oliver Stone came to talk about his films for a Q&A thing at Turner back in like... 1995 I think. Heh, someone asked him about his films and how they don't really appeal to 'soccer moms' and what not, and he sort of went off on that person. Heh, one of my favorite directors.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    iDisk those adverts! i don't remember them...

iDisk please
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Ok, they're online at...

<a href="http://www.mac3d.com/power/"; target="_blank">http://www.mac3d.com/power/</a>;

Most of them are really low compression. Remember, back when these were compressed you were lucky to have a 28.8, so most of them are about 1.3MB in size, at 240x180. Two of them are almost 8MB, and are 320x240. Enjoy!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    owl boyowl boy Posts: 61member
    I hate those AOL ads, "its so easy, its so easy!"

-- its also easy to get an STD...

-Owl