Adobe Illustrator CS4 won't work

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2015

Hi all,

New here. My Adobe illustrator has suddenly decided to stop working. I recently updated my Mac OS to Yosemite.

When I try to run Illustrator with the Console open, I get the following error messages (separated by a *):

05/11/2014 23:14:48.678 Adobe Illustrator[521]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.0 instead of 10.10.0. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

05/11/2014 23:14:50.509 Adobe Illustrator[521]: Error loading /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS4/Plug-ins.localized/Photoshop Formats.localized/PhotoshopImport.aip/Contents/MacOS/PhotoshopImport:  dlopen(/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS4/Plug-ins.localized/Photoshop Formats.localized/PhotoshopImport.aip/Contents/MacOS/PhotoshopImport, 262): Symbol not found: _map_fd

Referenced from: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS4/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobePSL.framework/Versions/A/AdobePSL

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Does anyone have any clue about this?

Many thanks for your help!

Rob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    There's a thread here where others have experienced this:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1610655?start=0&tstart=0

Looks as though one of Adobe's internal plug-ins makes a call to a system function that no longer exists. That function map_fd had a security vulnerability a while ago but Apple has obviously just removed it in Yosemite.

If it's a minor update, Adobe might issue one but I doubt it. Mostly likely they'll just say to get Adobe CC as the support period for CS4 will have run out by now.
  • Reply 2 of 3

Adobe apps are, Illustrator in particular, are finicky. Move the wrong file or font and the install is worthless. Before you have a fit, try uninstalling Illustrator and reinstalling. It's likely that everything will be fine.

• Reply 3 of 3

Think the CS4 suite requires Java as well.

At least I got alerts and fed it Java and seems OK now.

Although I can't get Photoshop's perspective tool to work. Instead of doing a perspective correct it zooms in on a single pixel.