Keynote for Yosemite breaks compatibility with Mavericks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited September 2015

I edited a file on Keynote under Yosemite at home last night. Now I cannot open it under Keynote on my office Mac Pro running Mavericks. It is truly amazing that after more than a year the new iWorks applications are still crap. I have only myself to blame for letting Apple lead me astray. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Originally Posted by Header View Post

I have only myself to blame...

Well, this thread resolved itself quickly. Enjoy your AppleWorks files!

• Reply 2 of 9
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

I edited a file on Keynote under Yosemite at home last night. Now I cannot open it under Keynote on my office Mac Pro running Mavericks. It is truly amazing that after more than a year the new iWorks applications are still crap. I have only myself to blame for letting Apple lead me astray. 

They seem fine to me, more than that, but to each his own. What exactly do you get as an error message? Have you upgraded to the latest keynote version? No compatibility has been broken whatsoever. 

• Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

They seem fine to me, more than that, but to each his own. What exactly do you get as an error message? Have you upgraded to the latest keynote version? No compatibility has been broken whatsoever. 

Apparently, under Mavericks the latest (and perhaps last) version of Keynote is 6.2.2. Under Yosemite it's currently 6.5. I suppose the solution is to some how find and install 6.2.2 under Yosemite. It's unfortunate for us (but planned by Apple, I'm sure) that these things occur. You cannot set a preference option to save as another default file format. If that were available then it wouldn't be such a problem. The only solution is to export the file - every time. 

• Reply 4 of 9

Sorry I wasn't aware of that.

Here's what I found, via macintouch:

"Jeff Phillips

To make Keynote 6.5 files backwards compatible to Keynote 6.0: Save as a package by going to File--> Advanced--> Change File Type--> Package.

And yeah, why this is so well-hidden is beyond me."

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

I use a similar setup at the office with no issues at all.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

I use a similar setup at the office with no issues at all.

Had to re-read this to register, hahaha, what a way to say it. Sorry to the op, but that was just funny.

• Reply 7 of 9

MacGizmo,

YOU are the problem, for being an assuming and incorrect a**.

Your "similar" setup has no bearing on this problem, and as a "gizmo" should know similar is not the "same", because if it was you'd know this is actually a real problem and would have received the following message when trying to open from a pre-yosemite OS: "You need newer versions of OS X and Keynote to open this presentation."

• Reply 8 of 9

This is why I hate Apple.  Aside from causing compatibility issues like the one the OP is talking about, when you go to Apple forums, instead of people being helpful, they're just dicks.

• Reply 9 of 9

Opening iWork’14 (Yosemite) Files in iWork’13 (Mavericks) without resaving them as Package in iWork’14.

https://medium.com/@iosight/opening-iwork-14-files-without-resaving-them-as-package-in-iwork-14-96d498ac92