Adelphia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Has anyone here tried Adelphia PowerLink Cable Internet? I got a thing in the mail with a good deal, and am considering switching from Earthlink DialUp.

So, my queestion is: Can I use it w/out their own software on OS X and AirPort, and share it over my LAN?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I would recommend against Adelphia for the simple reason that they block inbound port 80 traffic - ie, you can't host your own website. Doesn't sound like a big deal, and today maybe you don't care, but at some time you might.

As for your other question, you can use any DHCP client, so OS X is no problem. I got my cousin up and running on Adelphia on a Linux box no problem.

:-)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It just so happens that I would want port 80, and all other TCP ports. So I guess that I won't switch...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    A lot of the big broadband providers shut off port 80 because of that damn virus that was going around. They closed port 80 to try and keep that thing from spreading when it only affected certain types of systems that needed only to go to the Windows Update thing...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    STAY AWAY FROM ADELPHIA!

I have horror stories to tell with them. When I lived in MA, my cable company was sold every few months. Adelphia was the company that picked them up before I moved. Before they arrived, my internet service was coming from Maine (don't ask me why, it's a long story). When they took over, we were shut out (sort of). It would literally take 2-3 minutes for it to lookup and load a website. If you entered in the direct address (ie: 142.43.2.50), it would load fine, but if you entered in the URL (ie: <a href="http://www.apple.com)" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com)</a> you were stuck.

Finally, we got their new service: Powerlink. It was okay for the first week, but then it got to the point where my dl speed was around 30, and my ul speed was around 2000!

After moving up to NH and using Charter, I can't believe how bad Adelphia really was. The service was expensive, lousy, and customer support calls took hours to resolve.

Stay away from them if you can. Oh, and btw, read their TERRIBLE privacy policy before signing up. They just recently changed it.

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    btoberbtober Posts: 69member
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>Has anyone here tried Adelphia PowerLink Cable Internet? I got a thing in the mail with a good deal, and am considering switching from Earthlink DialUp.

So, my queestion is: Can I use it w/out their own software on OS X and AirPort, and share it over my LAN?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I've got PowerLink, and contrary to what other people have to say, I think Adelphia provides service comparable to other cable internet providers across the country. One good thing about PowerLink is that they don't cap your download speeds. Verizon DSL around here is capped at 150 kbps for the $49.95 fee/month.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I have Adelphia.

I must say, that the service is rather sucky. I live next to a big 75-Unit Condo building and sometimes my internet is dog slow. Also, I live in Massachusetts and all data is routed to California first. So, if I want to access a server in Maryland, I have the data sent first to CA, then back accross the country creating a ping of 400 or so. They use the line out to California contrary to the NE backbone becuases its cheaper (and slower) so says my friend.

STAY AWAY!