Mouse Capability

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited December 2014

I just bought I wireless mouse on Black Friday and I want to use it more, but it's missing 1 key function to overtake the trackpad on my MacBook Pro: I can't swipe between full-screen apps. It does have a scroll wheel that can move left and right though, so I was curious if it was possible to map the swipes to that. If it's not possible now, someone can probably make a bunch of money if they built an app that can make a mouse do that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    There are a couple of apps that let you customize the mouse inputs:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html
    http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/
  • Reply 2 of 8

If the mouse software it came with allows you to program keyboard shortcuts to buttons, just program the scroll wheel to respond to a left/right tap with a Control+Left arrow key and Control+Right arrow key.

• Reply 3 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

I've been using a freeby, BetterTouchTool. It's easy to set up for just about any mouse or trackpad movement. 

http://download.cnet.com/BetterTouchTool/3000-18491_4-75054737.html

• Reply 4 of 8
    My biggest gripe with the Magic Mouse has been accidental input on the too-sensitive sides of the mouse. Trying to use Adobe products becomes s nightmare, with images flying off screen and moving uncontrollably, and Google Maps zooms in and out wildly. I HATE when those things happen and it makes me long for my old one-button cable mouse.

That Apple has never addressed this in the Mouse Settings either indicates the problem is seldom reported (even though Ive read hundreds of complaints about it) or under appreciated. How do the designers within Apple deal with this annoyance?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My biggest gripe with the Magic Mouse has been accidental input on the too-sensitive sides of the mouse. Trying to use Adobe products becomes s nightmare, with images flying off screen and moving uncontrollably, and Google Maps zooms in and out wildly. I HATE when those things happen and it makes me long for my old one-button cable mouse.

That Apple has never addressed this in the Mouse Settings either indicates the problem is seldom reported (even though Ive read hundreds of complaints about it) or under appreciated. How do the designers within Apple deal with this annoyance?

Use a track pad and your troubles will be over.

• Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Use a track pad and your troubles will be over.

I second that.  The magic track pad is better by far than the magic mouse.  All the idiosyncrasies of the magic mouse are gone.  Furthermore, the MTP requires only finger movement, not hand and wrist so no more wrist carpal tunnel problems. The MTP takes up one small space and "rowing" across the desktop is not needed.  Moving the cursor is so much easier.  Don't confuse the MTP with a MBP trackpad. The MTP is more effective. 

• Reply 7 of 8
    sequitur wrote: »
    I second that.  The magic track pad is better by far than the magic mouse.  All the idiosyncrasies of the magic mouse are gone.  Furthermore, the MTP requires only finger movement, not hand and wrist so no more wrist carpal tunnel problems. The MTP takes up one small space and "rowing" across the desktop is not needed.  Moving the cursor is so much easier.  Don't confuse the MTP with a MBP trackpad. The MTP is more effective. 

Guess I should give mine another chance... Wish it would connect to the USB port on the keyboard.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wish it would connect to the USB port on the keyboard.

I agree. I've tried many regular and roller ball mice (mouses?) (cheap and expensive) over the years including the Magic Mouse and found the MTP best for me. Too bad Apple doesn't market a wired MTP.  However, there are several alternatives to using throw away batteries:

Eneloop batteries and charger -  I use with wireless keyboard and a second MTP. Cheaper than Apples charger & batteries; however, I think Apple sells this under its own brand. 

Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger & Battery Pack (8x AA, 4x AAA) (3rd Gen, 1800x recharge cycles): Health & Personal Care

Logitech T651 Rechargeable Track Pad  -  I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it's as good as the Apple MTP.  I've seen this cheaper on eBay and other sites. 

Amazon.com: Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad for Mac: Computers & Accessories 

Mobee: 

I haven't tried this. 

The Magic Bar, Apple Wireless Charger, Wireless Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, Wireless Charging Station, Inductive Charging Technology, Mobee Technology

I use the Power Bar with my primary MTP.  

The Power Bar, USB Battery Pack, Apple Magic Trackpad, Wireless Battery Backup, Magic Bank, iPhone Accessories, Mobee Technology