Microsoft launches new MSN apps for news, health, sports, finance & food

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Microsoft on Thursday debuted five new applications under its MSN banner for Apple's iOS, offering aggregated content from Bing covering a range of topics including news, sports and money.

All five applications are now available for free, and have been designed for both the iPhone and iPad. They are: The five MSN apps are all advertised to offer "comprehensive content" on their respective subjects, with the ability to filter and also sync across devices and platforms.

MSN News allows users to select customized topics for preferred subjects such as sports teams, celebrities or gadgets. The app also provides breaking news alerts, and allows users to share content via Twitter, Facebook, text or email.

MSN Health & Fitness boasts built-in fitness measuring capabilities, including a pedometer, run tracker, diet tracker, and cardio tracker. It's also integrated with Apple's HealthKit, allowing users to export data to Apple's Health app as well as other compatible third-party applications.

Also included in the MSN health app are over 300 workout videos and over 900 exercise, yoga and Pilates videos. The free application also includes medical reference information such as a symptom checker, details on human anatomy, and information about drugs and common medical procedures.

MSN Sports includes information from more than 150 leagues and thousands of teams, complete with the latest news and real-time updates on live games. Users can customize the app to follow their favorite leagues and teams, reading team- or league-specific news.

MSN Money tracks major indices from around the world, including NASDAQ, NYSE, Dow Jones, S&P 500, DAX, FTSE, NIKKEI 225 and more. It also allows users to track currency exchange rates and commodity prices, and to add their preferred stocks, mutual funds and ETFs. The iPhone app includes a tip calculator, wealth estimator and retirement planner, while iPad has a stock screener.

Finally, MSN Food & Drink provides users with easy filters to find recipes by cuisine, source, ingredient, or dietary needs. Recipes can be filtered by difficulty, method, preparation time and more. The app also includes tips from famous chefs, and how-to videos providing tips and techniques.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    They also released an updated version of Microsoft Remote Desktop that works with Yosemite so you can remote into PCs without needing third-party software, running a simply window client. Check out the App Store.
  • Reply 2 of 26

Yay! Apps based on the completely hideous and unusable garbage built into Windows 8/10!

Wait...

• Reply 3 of 26

Actually the Windows 8 counterparts to MSN News and MSN Sports are two of the bright spots of Windows 8.  They are very well done and the content is far more balanced than sensationalized like so many of the news and sports sites. I look forward to using those apps on my Iphone and IPad.

• Reply 4 of 26

Microsoft, stop trying to make MSN happen. It's not going to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yay! Apps based on the completely hideous and unusable garbage built into Windows 8/10!

Wait...

Windows 8.1 and 10 are just fine.

• Reply 5 of 26
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They’re an... acceptable requirement to play certain video games. I can’t under any circumstances accept that they are ‘fine’ for work into any facet of business, nor for any other consumer use.

• Reply 6 of 26

Gotta laugh at Microsoft. On one hand they're running ads bashing the iPad and Macbook while on the other they're bringing Office to the iPad along with several other Apps.

• Reply 7 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why do these all need to be separate apps? And wouldn't it be easier to just go to msn.com in your web browser?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    They’re an... acceptable requirement to play certain video games. I can’t under any circumstances accept that they are ‘fine’ for work into any facet of business, nor for any other consumer use.
    Wow, that is just so Wrong.
    I'd give you win 8 but 8.1 is really nice and 10 is looking pretty sweet. And please, don't even bring up OSX as acceptable for business, until Apple at the very least fixes its SMB implementation. The worst part is OSX used to be awesome at this, until Apple decide to create their implementation which has sucked for years now.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Gotta laugh at Microsoft. On one hand they're running ads bashing the iPad and Macbook while on the other they're bringing Office to the iPad along with several other Apps.

I have a feeling Windows Phone is going to die a slow death. MS will keep Surface around as that's Bill's favorite child. But what compelling reason is there to buy a Windows phone?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I'd give you win 8 but 8.1 is really nice and 10 is looking pretty sweet. 

They’re both garbage. 10 more than 8. I’m buying a new graphics card because neither supports mine anymore, despite there being absolutely nothing whatsoever preventing such support and absolutely no way of forcing that support.

I don’t understand why OS X is seen as the OS that restricts the user from making changes, because Windows fundamentally cannot do things that are literally a .plist away in OS X.

• Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

They’re both garbage. 10 more than 8. I’m buying a new graphics card because neither supports mine anymore, despite there being absolutely nothing whatsoever preventing such support and absolutely no way of forcing that support.

I don’t understand why OS X is seen as the OS that restricts the user from making changes, because Windows fundamentally cannot do things that are literally a .plist away in OS X.

How old is your card?

• Reply 12 of 26

How old is your card?

4870, and of course the 5XXX series is the earliest supported by Windows 8 (and since 10 is literally nothing but 8 with some crap changes made...).

I’m getting a GTX 970, so I should be set for the next 5-7 years. As far out as I can plan, this Mac Pro ought to serve my needs until I’m dead. It better; I can’t afford anything newer. :p

I sure hope that Apple does what I’ve been imagining and offers a bunch of new changes to the Mac Pro line when the second model is released. I want the option of picking one with 2xCPU+1xGPU, 2xGPU+1CPU, etc. Never mind adding in that second receptacle for the stick PCIe SSD (you can see where it WILL go on the current model; all that is missing is the hardware for plugging it in).

• Reply 13 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do these all need to be separate apps? And wouldn't it be easier to just go to msn.com in your web browser?

Native apps are faster than web browsers. That's why Apple provided an iOS integrated development environment (IDE) for third parties a year after the initial iPhone. The first year, Apple just advised people to write web apps.

Moreover, web browsers have more vulnerabilities. From a security standpoint, the last thing you want to do is fire up a web browser.

• Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

How old is your card?

4870, and of course the 5XXX series is the earliest supported by Windows 8 (and since 10 is literally nothing but 8 with some crap changes made...).

I’m getting a GTX 970, so I should be set for the next 5-7 years. As far out as I can plan, this Mac Pro ought to serve my needs until I’m dead. It better; I can’t afford anything newer. :p

I sure hope that Apple does what I’ve been imagining and offers a bunch of new changes to the Mac Pro line when the second model is released. I want the option of picking one with 2xCPU+1xGPU, 2xGPU+1CPU, etc. Never mind adding in that second receptacle for the stick PCIe SSD (you can see where it WILL go on the current model; all that is missing is the hardware for plugging it in).

If you were able to squeeze 4-5 years out of the HD4870 I am confident you will get 5 years out of the GTX970.  

Especially if you are not into gaming. 

• Reply 15 of 26
    The real headline should be: MSN still alive.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mpantone wrote: »

Native apps are faster than web browsers. That's why Apple provided an iOS integrated development environment (IDE) for third parties a year after the initial iPhone. The first year, Apple just advised people to write web apps.

Moreover, web browsers have more vulnerabilities. From a security standpoint, the last thing you want to do is fire up a web browser.

Oh well then I guess I'm not very secure as my most used app on iOS is a browser. :)
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Microsoft, stop trying to make MSN happen. It's not going to happen.

Quote:

Wait...

Yes. Yes. No.

• Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

It’s the behaviour of a parasite.

• Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Oh well then I guess I'm not very secure as my most used app on iOS is a browser. image

Admitting your insecurity is your first step to...something.

• Reply 20 of 26
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes. Yes. No.

Are the two yeses just to the existence of the products? :p