AppleInsider's updated iOS app features faster image loading, improved font options

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
The official AppleInsider application, designed for both iPhone and iPad, was given an update on Wednesday with a few much-requested features, including darker displayed text and faster loading images.

AppleInsider version 2.0.1 is now available as a free download on the iOS App Store. With the latest update, article timestamps are now viewable from the main screen, and images within articles load faster.

Users can also control the size and weight of the app's font by selecting the font controls button, located in the bottom right corner when a story is open. The app's font is now darker by default, making it easier to read all the latest news.

In addition to font size controls, the AppleInsider application also includes a bold text option for greater readability. Switching on bold text also affects headlines displayed on the main screen.

Finally, the update also fixes various bugs from the previous build, version 2.0, which debuted in October.

The AppleInsider app comes with a free 30-day subscription trial for all readers, allowing ad-free access and additional features. After 30 days, users WILL NOT be rolled into a paid subscription or incur any charge. Instead, users will have two options:
    1) Subscribe to AppleInsider Plus to maintain the ads-free experience and continued use of Favorite syncing, customized push notifications, third-party save support, and other premium features.

2) Choose not to subscribe and continue reading all of AppleInsider's content complete FREE with the presence of traditional advertisements here and there. Premium features such as Favorite syncing, push notification customization, and other premium features will be disabled.

That update brought a fresh new look to the official AppleInsider app, as well as unified subscription features across the iPhone and iPad. Readers who subscribe will be given an ads-free experience, along with the ability to favorite articles, save for offline reading, and export to Instapaper or Pocket.

Subscribers looking to access their account on both iPhone and iPad should ensure that they are logged into the same iCloud account on both devices, and the subscription should automatically sync through Apple's servers.

For all other non-subscribing readers, AppleInsider is a free, ad-supported app designed by the incredibly gifted crew at our digital design shop, Crafted.

All of our same content remains available to readers via our traditional website, as well as in our mobile-friendly version accessible via Safari on the iPhone. And readers can follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, our Newsletter and via RSS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    I don't like the non-dismissable "start your free trail of Appleinsider Plus" pop-over.

I don't want a free trial. Therefore I will no longer be using the app. Forcing people to do something that should be optional is not good UI design.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    STILL no love for iPhone 6/6 Plus???
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Looks so bad on my 6 Plus that I don't use it.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    I have to agree with cogitodexter, that was very annoying. Also like them I deleted the app as I did when the iPad version became annoying. Back to the web where I can invoke the reader.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't like the non-dismissable "start your free trail of Appleinsider Plus" pop-over.

I don't want a free trial. Therefore I will no longer be using the app. Forcing people to do something that should be optional is not good UI design.

Totally agree...why can't I opt out of the free trial? I'm not paying AI in the end to release shitty articles that are typically later than every other Mac site.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I don't want a free trial.

So you're getting a subscription, right?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So you're getting a subscription, right?

No. Why would I? 

• Reply 8 of 46

I have to admit, font rendering in the app on the iPhone 6+ is definitely blurrier than on the website. That alone is enough to push me to the website.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    macxpress wrote: »
    ...articles that are typically later than every other Mac site.

That's a valid point; this site is incredibly slow on reporting, often a full day behind. Still, the discussions in the threads can be good and contain useful information.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    No. Why would I? 

"I don't like the non-dismissable "start your free trail of Appleinsider Plus" pop-over."
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

"I don't like the non-dismissable "start your free trail of Appleinsider Plus" pop-over."

Your point is somewhat opaque. Help me out here.

• Reply 12 of 46
    Your point is somewhat opaque. Help me out here.

That line came from your 1st post. So if you don't a free trail, don't want that popover, why don't you buy a subscription? That's what I did.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

That line came from your 1st post. So if you don't a free trail, don't want that popover, why don't you buy a subscription? That's what I did.

Because that's exactly what I don't want to be forced to do in order to not have the 'free trial' of something I don't want!

How much clearer can I be?!

• Reply 14 of 46
    Because that's exactly what I don't want to be forced to do in order to not have the 'free trial' of something I don't want!

How much clearer can I be?!

You expect apps to be free of charge, and ad free because you don't want to pay for the work a site like this one puts in? I would expect anyone to understand the choice of ad-supported sites and subscription-based (paid) sites that are ad free. Price is a different discussion altogether.

I have to admit, I've never seen the pop-over (well, probably once).
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

You expect apps to be free of charge, and ad free because you don't want to pay for the work a site like this one puts in? I would expect anyone to understand the choice of ad-supported sites and subscription-based (paid) sites that are ad free. Price is a different discussion altogether.

I have to admit, I've never seen the pop-over (well, probably once).

The point is, it is now not possible to use the app without accepting the 'free trial'.

AI has ads from which it obtains money from the web version. Why not have the app version ad supported too? Oodles of apps follow that model and I'll never ever complain about it. But forcing a user into a 'free trial' of something is not, as we say in England, cricket. It should be optional. The pop-over, at the very worse, should appear every time the app opens, but be dismissable if the user doesn't want to proceed with it. In not giving the user the option to dismiss it, at all, it is, in effect, an attempt to extort a subscription by irritation. Why not just make the app subscription only at that rate? The people who are willing to pay will pay, those who aren't won't, and won't waste their time with the app.

I'm more than happy to endure adverts - even the awful video ads that appear on some apps - but this obligatory 'free trial' is not on.

• Reply 16 of 46
    The point is, it is now not possible to use the app without accepting the 'free trial'.

AI has ads from which it obtains money from the web version. Why not have the app version ad supported too? Oodles of apps follow that model and I'll never ever complain about it. But forcing a user into a 'free trial' of something is not, as we say in England, cricket. It should be optional. The pop-over, at the very worse, should appear every time the app opens, but be dismissable if the user doesn't want to proceed with it. In not giving the user the option to dismiss it, at all, it is, in effect, an attempt to extort a subscription by irritation. Why not just make the app subscription only at that rate? The people who are willing to pay will pay, those who aren't won't, and won't waste their time with the app.

I'm more than happy to endure adverts - even the awful video ads that appear on some apps - but this obligatory 'free trial' is not on.

Thank you for explaining it to me as I sure as hell wasn't getting it. I guess I could've downloaded the app from a different country and see what the pop-over was. Reading the app description tells me the trial is for one month, so, yeah, back to Safari.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Same here, just deleted the app. Website is enough. AI has good information, but quality of the posts is not always great. Also lot of advertised editorials etc and not so important informations. And no adjustment for iPhone 6 makes the app rather the opposite of what I expect from a quality app.

• Reply 18 of 46
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Thank you for explaining it to me as I sure as hell wasn't getting it. I guess I could've downloaded the app from a different country and see what the pop-over was. Reading the app description tells me the trial is for one month, so, yeah, back to Safari.

Guys. It's free, with no ads for one month. After the month, you can choose to continue WITHOUT a subscription (ads will simply appear as they regularly would). Or you can purchase a subscription to use some added features and continue without ads. What on earth are you all complaining about?

We are simply giving you a completely ads-free experience for 30 days. After 30 days, if you do not want to continue with AI plus, you do absolutely nothing. Ads will appear in some places and the Favorite syncing and Push Notification customization will be inaccessible, but YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED for anything unless you specifically elect to subscribe. You will NOT be rolled into a paid subscription. I simply cannot believe the level of adversity in this thread to a free 30 day trial with no strings attached.

• Reply 19 of 46
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootman View Post

I love how some of you guys come on this forum to bitch and complain without any comprehension about the iOS development process and the time, resources and overhead it takes to keep up with Apple's rapid pace of innovation and product launches. This handset has been on the market for barely 3 months. Our last update (this update) sat in Apple's queue for almost a month before they approved it. Your expectations on turnaround times are unobtainable for a small shop like AppleInsider. You have no idea what it takes to produce an app update -- one that is stable and works on all devices in some degree -- so you may want to consider this before your next derogatory comment. We'll get to Plus support as soon as we possibly can but its not as simple of a task as you may think.

• Reply 20 of 46
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I love how some of you guys come on this forum to bitch and complain without any comprehension about the iOS development process and the time, resources and overhead it takes to keep up with Apple's rapid pace of innovation and product launches. This handset has been on the market for barely 3 months. Our last update (this update) sat in Apple's queue for almost a month before they approved it. Your expectations on turnaround times are unobtainable for a small shop like AppleInsider. You have no idea what it takes to produce an app update -- one that is stable and works on all devices in some degree -- so you may want to consider this before your next derogatory comment. We'll get to Plus support as soon as we possibly can but its not as simple of a task as you may think.

And I love how you think we're supposed to just magically know that you have it in progress and that Apple sat on your update for a month.

How about a simple, calm statement to your customers indicating that it's on its way.