Dish announces 'Sling TV' $20-per-month Internet TV service with ESPN, CNN, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Do you have to be already a Dish customer to get Sling TV for $20 a month?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

I'd surely hope not. Talk about double dipping. 

• Reply 23 of 29
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

don't like that this only covers 1 user for $20

not bad for a beginning.

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well.  If I can buy it under an account and then use that account across multiple devices (iphone, ipad, playstation, and roku) then it's worth it. 

• Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For those with the experience, what are the general quality and speed of satellite-based internet services like? Any thoughts on how it compares to cable broadband?

My parents have Dish satellite broadband.  It's terrible.  Facetime is impossible with them, there is about a 3/4 second delay.  It's like calling london in the 80's. 

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Nope.  They have said that there is no contract, and no need for a current Dish account to subscribe.  I will try it just because there is no contract, and hoping the massive sign up spurs other cable companies to put out their own offering!

• Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tmobile is offering 2 lines unlimited LTE for $100

slap on netflix

slap on sling tv

You get your cable, internet, and cell phone for under $130 a month

Yup. My son and I are on that plan. Over Christmas break, he was burning about 12GB/day on road trips. <shrug>

The plan also has 5GB of hotspot service, but it should be straightforward to skirt around that limit.

• Reply 27 of 29
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For those with the experience, what are the general quality and speed of satellite-based internet services like? Any thoughts on how it compares to cable broadband?

It has very high latency.  The speed of light makes it impossible to move a packet between a geostationary satellite and the ground in less than about 1/8 second.  Meaning there's a 1/4 second delay for a packet to be transmitted from ground (central office) to the satellite and back to ground (your dish).  So an IP packet round-trip (send a packet to the internet and get a reply) can't ever be less than 1/2 second if both your inbound and outbound links are via satellite.

The latency isn't too horrible if you're primarily downloading large files, but it is a killer for anything interactive (remote-logins, VPNs, gaming, etc.)

If you have another broadband alternative (cable modem, fiber or even DSL), I would recommend using that.  But if all you have are slow choices (dial-up, ISDN, or some of the lower-speed versions of DSL), then I think satellite would be a better option.

FWIW, my home uses Dish satellite for TV and Comcast for data.  It usually works well.

Quote:

I hope not.  My Dish Hopper has a built-in SlingBox.  I can already stream from it to web browsers and mobile devices.  This works for recorded (DVR) content, and for everything else (live TV, on-demand, etc.) by using one of my satellite tuners as a source for video to be streamed to my device.  This is for no extra charge.

If you are already a Dish customer, then this Sling TV would seem to be a redundant waste of money.

• Reply 28 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,048member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brostd View Post

So will I still be able to sign in to my ESPN app on my AppleTV with this subscription?

I just got the invite today, and signed up. It works well on my macs and iPad. Sling has its own app for each.

I was able to airplay the sling TV app to the AppleTV and HDTV. But...the stream quality wasn't perfect. A few jerks now and then that are very disappointing. These don't appear when streaming just to the mac or iPad.

And, to directly answer your question, the WatchESPN app on apple TV (or iOS) does not accept the Sling TV credentials (even though you can select Sling TV as a provider. It gives an error that your login/password is not recognized. But I verified they are correct and function for the native Sling app.

Hopefully apple will release an AppleTV channel for SlingTV. Or offer their own service to access ESPN on a monthly subscription. For now, this will do fine for me. (Although I'm pondering a Roku HDMI stick - those appear to be supported by Sling.)