Apple, Google agree to new settlement in anti-poaching class action suit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
According to a court filing on Tuesday, both Apple and Google have agreed to new terms to settle a class action lawsuit alleging artificial suppression of wages through cross-company anti-poaching measures.

Jobs and SchmidtSteve Jobs and Eric Schmidt during the iPhone's introduction at MacWorld in 2007

Apple and Google are among four tech companies to sign off on the revamped conditions that will possibly bring an end to the drawn out antitrust lawsuit, reports Reuters. While the sum has yet to be disclosed, the publication notes at least one named plaintiff who disagreed with an initial offer is now on board with the latest amount.

In 2011, employees working for Apple, Google, Intel and Adobe filed suit against their employers over supposed "no poach" rules put in place by company executives, including late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs. According to plaintiffs, the named Silicon Valley heavyweights implemented a variety of anti-poaching guidelines to retain talent, including "do not call" lists, emails and personal correspondence.

After being granted class status in October by U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh, the number of plaintiffs in the case ballooned to more than six figures.

A U.S. Department of Justice leveled similar claims after an email came to light in 2009, supposedly detailing anti-competitive agreements between Apple and Google. That case was ultimately settled out of court in 2010.

Apple previously attempted to settle the class-action dispute last April for a reported $324.5 million, but Judge Koh rebuked the deal, saying the tech giants should "pay their fair share" compared to companies that already settled, including Intuit, Pixar, and Lucasfilm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I could care less.... but then that would indicate I cared at all about this news.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well, this news should really cause AAPL to surge tomorrow...or not.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Finally, Apple has a use other than stock buybacks for all that cash they've accumulated! 

:D 

• Reply 4 of 7
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I could care less.... but then that would indicate I cared at all about this news.

You cared enough to post a non-comment.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

But I didn't.

Damn, does that count?

• Reply 6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not only that, Macky, but you got the cliché wrong.  It's "I couldn't care less".  Because, as you indicated, the way you wrote it means you cared to some extent.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Not only that, Macky, but you got the cliché wrong.  It's "I couldn't care less".  Because, as you indicated, the way you wrote it means you cared to some extent.

'I could care less' and 'I couldn't care less' mean exactly the same thing. The former is more iOS 7 while the latter is more glassy reflections. Such is the quirky nature of English.