Deciphering DRAM chips. . . How many bits?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I salvaged some DRAM chips from a pile of old computers in a certain, distinct engineering building on the Princeton campus.

They were from a 7200/90, but whatever. I'm curious about the size of these chips, and I remember hearing somewhere that the amount of bits is listed on the DRAM packaging (little black chips on the DIMM board).

Of greater interest are the 5 SGI indy's lying in the same pile. . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I salvaged some DRAM chips from a pile of old computers in a certain, distinct engineering building on the Princeton campus.

They were from a 7200/90, but whatever. I'm curious about the size of these chips, and I remember hearing somewhere that the amount of bits is listed on the DRAM packaging (little black chips on the DIMM board).

Of greater interest are the 5 SGI indy's lying in the same pile. . . .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll take an SGI, please...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I want an SGI too!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    a picture or description of the writing would be helpful.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Never mind. I found that the writing merely links to manufacturer information, which can be found on the website. Similar to a VIN, actually.

The SGI's are quite old. The Indy debuted in 1993. I'm not sure how good these are, but they are guaranteed to be somewhere between PPC 601 and PPC 604 speed, depending on the model. We're going back tonight with screwdrivers to inspect. It's mostly the novelty factor that makes them cool: They're MIPS SGI's. . . old school. . . painted blue.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Their graphics cards still roXxor. They are sweet machines for doing VR and VRML type stuff.

FSAA... back when it was a high end luxury!