Apple's OS X 10.10.2 update fixes Wi-Fi connection issues, improves iCloud, patches security holes

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2015
Apple on Tuesday pushed OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 to users, bringing with it changes that address potential security issues, Wi-Fi connection problems, and improvements to iCloud Drive and the Bluetooth audio stack.

The update resolves a seemingly widespread issue that may have caused Macs to inexplicably disconnect from Wi-Fi networks. Users have also complained about slow connections when on Wi-Fi, another area of attention for Apple engineers in this release.

Apple has abated a potential privacy concern as well, fixing a Spotlight issue that caused remote images to be loaded in e-mail previews, even when that option was turned off in Mail.app. Additional security fixes --?including one for a years-old Thunderbolt vulnerability and two new exploits revealed last week by Google's Project Zero --?are thought to be included, but Apple has yet to publish details of 10.10.2's security content.

Users who pair Bluetooth headphones with their Mac should see improved synchronization for audio and video over the popular wireless protocol, while visually-impaired users will note improved VoiceOver performance. An issue that caused VoiceOver to echo characters when entering text on a web page has also been resolved.

iCloud Drive documents can now be browsed via the Time Machine user interface, a win for those who take advantage of Apple's built-in backup system. Other miscellaneous issues --?including one in which the input method would switch languages unexpectedly --?are included, as are "stability and security" enhancements for Safari.

OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 is available now from the updates tab of the Mac App Store. The public release comes one week after Apple seeded the fifth and final beta version of this update to developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I believe it should read that it was Tuesday that Apple released the update; not Thursday...

C'mon AppleInsider.... just a little bit of proofreading please...
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Remember to disable and turn off Trim Enabler if your Mac has a third-party SSD drive before installing the Yosemite update. Safe to re-enable Trim Enabler after the update.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    ITunes Store was adding strange whereas when I would look at an item then go back I would always be in the iTunes Store of Christmas week. Weird. I hope this fixes that.
    And what causes that?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Remember to disable and turn off Trim Enabler if your Mac has a third-party SSD drive before installing the Yosemite update. Safe to re-enable Trim Enabler after the update.

Could you elaborate?

• Reply 5 of 47
    Has Apple fixed the memory leak that some connect to the Mail app and others to the kernel? My Mac has crashed twice due to it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697
  • Reply 6 of 47
    I'm gonna wait for the Combo update to hit the Apple Support site...

[URL=http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macos]http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macos[/URL]
  • Reply 7 of 47
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Apple Remote Desktop issue is back.  Once again the updates page lists ARD 3.7.2 and the system keeps prompting to install it even though it is already installed.  It's bad enough that long standing bugs still haven't been fixed.  But reintroducing previously fixed bugs?

• Reply 8 of 47
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    paxman wrote: »

Could you elaborate?

Trim Enabler is a 3rd-party app for enabling Trim on 3rd-party SSDs since Apple only supports TRIM on the SSDs they include with their machines.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Could you elaborate?

That only applies if you've used 3rd party software to enable TRIM support on non-Apple installed SSDs. Put simply, such software modifies a signed Apple kext file which upon installing a system update risks causing the file to not load (fails validation because it's been modified) and bricking your system.

• Reply 10 of 47
    I wonder if they have addressed com.apple.geod crashing all the time. Guess we'll have to see...
  • Reply 11 of 47
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    wiggin wrote: »
    That only applies if you've used 3rd party software to enable TRIM support on non-Apple installed SSDs. Put simply, such software modifies a signed Apple kext file which upon installing a system update risks causing the file to not load (fails validation because it's been modified) and bricking your system.
    For those that may encounter a bricking issue, this site has information up on how to restore your KEXT files in Yosemite:

http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.com/faq.php

The relevant information is right at the top of the page.
  • Reply 12 of 47
  • Reply 13 of 47
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

runs smooth and fast on on mid 2010 27 inch imac.  best os to date.

• Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Trim Enabler is a 3rd-party app for enabling Trim on 3rd-party SSDs since Apple only supports TRIM on the SSDs they include with their machines.

Thanks - didn't realize it was a piece of software :). As my primary Mac is a rather aged mb running two third party SSD's in a fusion setup, I am not sure I can, should, or would be advised installing Trim Enabler. In fact, should I even run this update? (I will no doubt back up using ccc and have go, unless you or anybody else here tell me not to)

• Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It doesn't look like enabling TRIM would give me much value and given the potential issues you mention (in addition to the ones listed in the wiki-page Solips pointed me to), I don't think I'll bother  :) 

• Reply 16 of 47
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

ITunes Store was adding strange whereas when I would look at an item then go back I would always be in the iTunes Store of Christmas week. Weird. I hope this fixes that.

And what causes that?

Mismanaged memory, it sounds like! 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

People who enable TRIM need to remember that they need to check compatibility with SSDs they pop in - Most SSDs come with garbage collection techniques which are pretty good these days and TRIM can cause conflict on some drives because of that. 

Not that it isn't beneficial, it totally is, just as long as it doesn't degrade your SSD! 

• Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I'm gonna wait for the Combo update to hit the Apple Support site...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macos

With an estimated download time of nearly three days over the air and from iTunes, I'll wait until the traffic clears.

• Reply 18 of 47
    mariomario Posts: 348member

So have they fixed the Preview rendering problem on non-retina displays yet? This is one major thing preventing me from updating to Yosemite.

• Reply 19 of 47
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple Remote Desktop issue is back.  Once again the updates page lists ARD 3.7.2 and the system keeps prompting to install it even though it is already installed.  It's bad enough that long standing bugs still haven't been fixed.  But reintroducing previously fixed bugs?

ARD 3.8 released, and with new icon.

• Reply 20 of 47
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

runs smooth and fast on on mid 2010 27 inch imac.  best os to date.

I'd have to agree.

I'm running it on an early 2008 (no, that's not a typo) MacBook Pro 15-inch, 6GB RAM.

Runs nicely, fans are quiet.